Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Vitamins for men

As most people know me and the bf are trying for a baby. Was jsut reading up on increasing fertilisation and such and was wondering, to make my man healthy (he doesn't each much veg - hates the stuff) I'm gonna get him some vitamins. But before I go buying random multivitamins, as with women, is there anything that could damage a child or decrease fertility? I know his body isn't holding the baby for 9 months but jsut wanted to be certain that it won't affect potential baby negatively. Any advice?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A general multivitamin will do.

I use this multi vitamin.

Also zinc at about 45mg a day & a herb called tribulus at 1000mg are great for increasing sex drive & sperm count.

If you feel you need to, tell your bf to speak to his DR about the products, but really they are as safe as anything.

Good luck. :)
  • Options
    i dont know anything about decreasing fertility and the like but get him to eat some proper veg, its much better than downing a load of pills to get vitamins!
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    get him to eat some proper veg, its much better than downing a load of pills to get vitamins!
    :yes:
  • Options
    ginseng is supposed to be good for male virility, but tbh, it probably wont make much difference.
    Cutting down on caffiene or cutting it out (both of you) and if he smokes, get him to give up or cut down because that definitely decreases fertility.
    Apparently drinking green tea helps, but it tastes rank and i only tried it once.
    I think you need to just try and relax. You havent been trying for that long, even if it seems like forever. Drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated, cut down the caffiene and have sex every day from just before your fertile time, to just after.
    85% of people trying will concieve within a year of unprotected sex, and of the remaining, half will concieve within the second year, so just relax. youll get there in the end!!

http://www.babyworld.co.uk/information/trying/
  • Options
    Janjan, are you supplementing with anything? Folic acid is great for women trying to conceive.

But for your bf, anything that will stimulate the luteinizing hormone, will increase sperm count.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Folic acid is great for women trying to conceive.

Doesn't that help the baby more than the woman?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Doesn't that help the baby more than the woman?
    Its good before & during the pregnancy.
  • Options
    its good for foetal development. I dont think it has any bearing on fertility though. Still recommended to take when youre TTC.
    As for the Luteal hormone, I was under the impression that was for women, to increase luteal phase, ie enough progesterone. I think vit B6 is good for that, but if you take one of those pregnancy multivitamins, itll have all that in it.
  • Options
    its good for foetal development. I dont think it has any bearing on fertility though. Still recommended to take when youre TTC.
    As for the Luteal hormone, I was under the impression that was for women, to increase luteal phase, ie enough progesterone. I think vit B6 is good for that, but if you take one of those pregnancy multivitamins, itll have all that in it.
    I have always heard folic acid helped women fall pregnant. Might be more beneficial during the pregnancy.

Im talking about luteinizing hormone, which is a hormone secreted by the pituitary gland in the brain.

Here is more info.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLR,GGLR:2006-13,GGLR:en&defl=en&q=define:luteinizing+hormone&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

But in men it stimulates libido & sperm count via LH pathway.
  • Options
    I got a prescription of liquid folic acid about a month or so ago, been taking that daily. As for getting him to eat veg, it won't be easy. He doesn't even like peas or carrots!
  • Options
    Janjan wrote:
    As for getting him to eat veg, it won't be easy. He doesn't even like peas or carrots!

Does he like fruit? Mine is the same about veg, but he'll happily chomp down a banana, and they're also packed with good stuff.
  • Options
    no speedo pants and no smoking. woot! wasn't I helpfull?
  • Options
    I hate vegis. :grump:
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    no speedo pants and no smoking. woot! wasn't I helpfull?
    partly cos if you wear speedo pants, noone will shag you.
  • Options
    Yeah they also say no hot baths and cotton underwear. Things need to keeo cool ;)
  • Options
    Janjan, has your bf actually got a problem with his sperm count?
  • Options
    Not that either of us are aware, just didn't want him taking anything that would effect it negatively.
  • Options
    Janjan wrote:
    Not that either of us are aware, just didn't want him taking anything that would effect it negatively.
    Taking vitamins wont affect him at all, in fact it may improve him.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Janjan, if your not keen on supplementing with vitamins & want to eat the proper food instead, have you tried reading Jillian Mcketh's book? I have heard its great for healthier living.
  • Options
    tbh janjan, i wouldnt worry about all that at this stage. Just relaxing and nature will take its course much quicker if youre not sitting there panicking about what he eats that might effect this, or might effect that. It sounds cliché and i know its easier said than done, but you just need to try and relax and forget about the actively trying and all that, and just concentrate on having a good time in bed with your man, and pregnancy will come in its own time. Too many people forget about enjoying sex and their relationship for what it is when TTC, and it can become quite a strain, especially if youre trying for more than a few months.
  • Options
    Also unless hes shooting blanks, theres no need to panic & put him on a vegi diet.

As SCC said, just enjoy sex. Its a pleasure, not a choir. ;)
  • Options
    Its only a whole choir if your particularly lucky!