Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

student rail cards

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
is the natwest student rail card the same as the young persons railcard?

natwest say on the advert that is worth £100 but you can buy a young persons railcard for £20.

do they both save you a third or is one less?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    They are exactly the same effect, they look different but get you the same discount. The Natwest one is worth £100 because they give you one a year for 5 years. 5 x £20 = £100.

Assuming you use your account then the NatWest one makes life easier as you only need to give them one photo, it comes as a neat card like a credit card rather than two naff bits of papery card with sticky back plastic and when it's close to expiring they send you a new one in the post

NatWest as a bank I have another opinion of but their railcards are great.
  • Options
    im going with halifax for my accouunt, they seem the best overall for me , just gonna buy the rail card instead i think
  • Options
    Makes sense, tbh I wouldn't say anyone of them is any better than any other, and the freebees suit different people.

Find out where the Halifax branch is in relation to you uni and where you'll be living, and your home address. If it's not near all of those then you may want to rethink.

Open the account before you go to uni, you won't want to be faffing around trying to do that when you get there, and make sure you do it in enough time to get all your cheque books etc through before you leave. Get your railcard on the day (or just before) you first need it. They are valid for a year from the day you buy them so might as well get as long as possible out of it.

Another trick, persuade a parent/relative you're going to use it for visiting them so they want to pay for it as a treat.
  • Options
    they do both save you 1/3rd
    and natwest is for 5 yrs
    although natwest is a crap bank