Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Is uni the best way to go?

I work in a bank at the mo. I am 20, Have got a few AS Levels nothing to be exceptionally proud of. I am considering entering uni as a mature student. Anyone know any pros and cons of going to uni?

:confused:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    What do you want to study at uni?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi Jay P, welcome to TheSite, you may find the following article on making a decision about uni useful.

From my point of view, one of the best things about going to uni was studying abroad and making contacts relevant to my career interests. But I'm sure others will be more than willing to share their experiences with you. :)
  • Options
    I'd say go to uni if it's what you want to do. If there's a course that really interests you and when you graduate will put you in better standing than you are at the moment.

Uni isn't for everyone, and your not missing out on a life experience but not going. For my, my style of learning and what I want to do not going to uni never really crossed my mind. For others of my friends it would have been a waste of time and money. They work places (including banks) and are on training program type thing there.

Look at what you want to do in the future and whether whatever degree you'd get would be of more benefit than 3 years work.
  • Options
    your not missing out on a life experience but not going.
    that is true. contary to popular belief.

but if you feel you want to get a degree / HE qualification to help you move on and progress in life / your job or you want to do something different then going to uni might well be a good idea.
    but to go just for the hell of it or because everyone else seems to - is probably not wise.
  • Options
    funny thing is, most of my friends say it the best three years of your life.

I want to go uni as I dont want to be stuck in the same job for years to come! Waiting for a promotion. My reasoning behind uni is that I have got the experience and when I come out of uni armed with a degree looking for a job will be somewhat easier, maybe i will be a shoe in for a better career.

I am looking to do a degree in business and finance....mmmmm decisons decsions!!!!

:chin:
  • Options
    Jay P wrote:
    funny thing is, most of my friends say it the best three years of your life.

I want to go uni as I dont want to be stuck in the same job for years to come! Waiting for a promotion. My reasoning behind uni is that I have got the experience and when I come out of uni armed with a degree looking for a job will be somewhat easier, maybe i will be a shoe in for a better career.

I am looking to do a degree in business and finance....mmmmm decisons decsions!!!!

:chin:

Well you've just listed the top reasons for going to Uni

1) Education
    2) Qualification
    3) Intoxication

I guess you've got to weigh up the chance of a much better-paid job with your degree versus not going to uni and spending those 3/4 years working up the ladder in your job.

Personally I'd go as you could command much better jobs with a degree rather than just experience. A degree shows that you can apply yourself, work without supervision and generally be intellecually independent better than 3 years of experience can.
  • Options
    If I was you, I'd go because it's what you want to do and you know what job you want to do when you're older. (and only if that job requires a degree)

Don't go because you feel you have to or because everyone else is doing it/has done it.