Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

IUD Advice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey all

Didn't know whether to put this in Sex or Health as it's a bit of both, really.

Anyhoo, here goes.

I can't take the contraceptive pill for health reasons, my Dr wouldn't prescribe it for me because of a history of breast cancer, thrombosis and the fact I suffer from depression/OCD. So me and boyfy are looking at other methods which aren't hormone related for me to try.

We use condoms at the moment but I was wondering if anyone had any experience/advice regarding having an IUD fitted?

I'm led to believe it doesn't have any hormones in it and would allow me to still have periods, but still give me the protection against pregnancy - is that right?

Has anyone had one/used one in the past? Does it hurt to have it fitted and where would I go to get it done?:nervous:

Sorry for all the questions - be really grateful for any help...

Love Cavey
xxx

Comments

• Options
    I have an IUS (hormonal and not made of copper) but the fitting was pretty much the same. I decided not to go through my GP, and directly rang up my nearest family planning clinic. I had an appointment for a consultation where the nurse talked to me about why I wanted it, the risks and benefits etc, and three weeks later it was fitted.

When I had mine fitted, I had an injectable local anaesthetic, so I couldn't feel my cervix being dilated, but I could feel my uterus being measured, and having the IUS put in, which was uncomfortable for about 8 seconds, it varies from person to person.
  • Options
    yeah ive had both non-hormonal and hormonal IUDs.
    I heard horror stories about extra long painful periods, but didnt have any of that. I must admit my periods did go from 4 days to 5, but apart from that, they werent any more painful than before. I recommend it if youre sensitive to hormones tbh.
    It was a bit sore getting it put in, but its over pretty quickly and then you dont have to worry about it for 3 years. I didnt have an anaesthetic, i wasnt offered one. Thats pretty good if they do that in some places, but even if they dont, its only a short sharp pain, and then its over. maybe a bit crampy for an hour or two afterwards. I went to my GP and was given the number for the local IUD clinic, and then i had to wait about a month for an appointment.
  • Options
    Aww hey, thanks you two - that's great, put my mind at rest a bit - I'm thinking I'll do the same and go through my family planning clinic rather than t'doctors. Think this is the best way for me to go...

Cheers for the advice
    Love cavey
    xx