Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Work and Peer Pressure

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'd like to start this by first of all saying that I never really took drugs before. I'd occasionally dabble but always knew my limits but recently things have taken a rapid change.

I started a job in March and it was rather hard to get. I'd been searching London for a job that fitted in with my university schedule and my boyfriend as well and to my joy I got what I believed to be the best job in the world at a pub. Everybody was young and friendly, got the weekends off and got paid really well. Every Friday night when the pub closed we'd all stay and have a few bevvies and I got really close to everybody. But soon after that one drink became all night benders with everybody. Getting home at 7 the next morning and feeling shit until Monday. Then even more recently we all discovered that oooh everybody does drugs every so often so as a treat our manager picked up some coke and we had a good laugh.

As the weeks and months have progressed a couple of lines between several of us has turned into people wandering off at 3am through central London to pick up. I don't do as much as anybody else but it's making me unhappy. I feel like that if I don't join in and get drunk etc I'll miss out on something. Silly and immature I know but when you work with these people day in and day out you miss a few things and I feel out of place. I get really bad problems with paranoia anyway.

The boss has started drink driving home, people have slept with each other and gossip has started, including one rather sensitive bit between the boss and my best mate. My best mate told me and although everybody was already joking around about it a rumour got out and after I got back from a few weeks away I had 4 seperate people have a huge go at me saying I was spreading rumours. They did get all cleared up but I have a feeling that working here is going to screw up my life a bit more.

I've tried ducking out and not staying but it's too difficult. I don't have many friends in this city and I feel like it's all I've got in some respects. And I've tried looking for new jobs but I forgotten how difficult it is to get a decent job in London which has got any safety to it.

This is probably more just venting and kinda telling myself to sort my life out a bit but any advice would be appreciated. It'd be easier if I was actually spending all my money doing this but in 5 months I've never spent a penny.