Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lyman in Garfield

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Early on in the Garfield strips, one of Jon's friends comes and stays in their house, with his dog Odie. His name was Lyman.
For many years now, Jon is alone with Garfield and Odie. I've never seen a story where Lyman leaves, if anyone here has could you tell me why he left and why he didn't take Odie?
Although it's unlikely, if you know the date it happened tell me, so I could find the strip. :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Here's a hint...Garfield has a taste for human flesh. Why else do you think he wolfs down the special lasagne?

From Wiki:

Lyman

First Appearance: August 7, 1978
    Last Appearance: April 24, 1983

Once was Jon's roommate and Odie's owner. He stopped appearing in the strip after a few years, apparently because he was considered superfluous. Jim Davis explained how the character was created to give Jon someone to be friends with and talk to, but as Garfield’s character evolved and ended up holding the conversations through his thought bubbles, the conversations became more Garfield-Jon oriented. This made Lyman's character unneeded, so even though they don't explain why, he was written out. Jim Davis later gave humorous scenarios of what happened in the Garfield 25th Anniversary Book. One clue indicated "Don’t look in Jon's basement!" This was overly used in the online game "Scary Scavenger hunt" in which, Lyman's Head is found in the oven and under a cloth, he is found in the tub and when you find him, it plays the Psyco music, and his body is chained in the basement.
  • Options
    Aha, so he practically never left. I suspected as much, thanks. :)
    I didn't think of trying wikipedia at all!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    God I love the Garfield books so much.:heart:

The film was a bit lame. Why wasn't Odie CGI'd too? That dog looks NOTHING like Odie. Big dissapointment.

Plus the dog isn't stupid and doesn't get kicked at all.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    God I love the Garfield books so much.:heart:

The film was a bit lame. Why wasn't Odie CGI'd too? That dog looks NOTHING like Odie. Big dissapointment.

Plus the dog isn't stupid and doesn't get kicked at all.
    And Liz liked Jon (which only happens recently in the comic).
    The movie was too much of a kiddie flick. See how Garfield the comic is today in comparison to when it began, multiply that by 5, and you see how kiddy the movie was.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :crying: I love the Garfield movies.... does that make me a bad person? :)

ETA: And I like Odie too......