Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Car wongly impounded

SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
On Tuesday one of my cars was wrongly impounded for lack of tax by NCP.
I was told one of my lovely neigbours had reported it and so it was towed away as it was deemed to be on a public highway.

Now I knew that it was on private property but it took until yesterday for them to admit that, and this morning they dropped it back with and said sorry. I don't think that's good enough.

Now if they didn't take it away legally, they must have taken it illegally yes? Am I not entilted to some sort of compensation now?
Weekender Offender 

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd say so, yes.

Where was the car parked, in a driveway or something?

The only thing could be showing financial damage, the inconvenience and stress of having to chase them would do, but you couldn't claim your business or anything was damaged because you couldn't use the car.
  • Options
    It was parked in a communial housing association car park outside my mates house, and therefore it wasn't on a public highway.

I want some compo because it been seriously stressing me out. Thos NCP bastards wanted 240 quid + 15 for every day it wad impounded. I've just stared a new job and I didn't think I was goign to be able to find the cash.

Isn't it theft? They didn't take the car legally, so they must have taken it illegally. I know the government give out compo for cars wrongly impounded by Customs.

I may invent the fact it missed an MOT due to the fact that it was impounded - that 50 quid. The cars got a couple of knocks too - which I might say wern't there before it was taken.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    What nice neighbours you have.
  • Options
    My brothers car was impounded last year, although it was on a public highway, and the reason they gave was expired tax, despite the fact that he still had 7 months left on it. In ctual fact the car had been in an accident and was a write off, although you could not tell the extent of the damage just by looking at it. My brother is a civillian in the police and so took his Chief Inspector down to the pound place with him to chat to them. They had to back track then and apologise as they took it away for no reason. However my brother had been meaning to scrap the car anyway so he left it there, retrieved all of his possessions like power tools CD player etc. He didn't have to pay the impounding fee in the end, just paid for it to crushed...but i wonder if it would have been a different story if he hadn't taken his boss!! :chin:
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    What nice neighbours you have.

Well it wsn't actually my nieghbour it was my mates.. but the best thing abou it is it's parked exactly where it was - a big up yours to which ever neighbour it was. :lol:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Well it wsn't actually my nieghbour it was my mates...
    I assume you mean it was your mate's neighbour rather than your mates who reported it! Otherwise you need new mates :lol:
  • Options
    Oh yeah, you are entitled to comp, I just don't know how much you'd be able to get out of them.

Good luck though, NCP are not a very nice company.
  • Options
    +Kirsten++Kirsten+ Deactivated Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
    I may invent the fact it missed an MOT due to the fact that it was impounded - that 50 quid. The cars got a couple of knocks too - which I might say wern't there before it was taken.

You could certainly try talking to NCP about compensation for stress, particularly given your financial situation. Contact information at http://www.ncp.co.uk/contactus.aspx. However, I strongly recommend you don't lie about missing an MOT or getting dents from the impound - if you're shown up, at best it won't help your case.
  • Options
    Some guy in London parked his car on the road (perfectly legally) and went on holiday.. then Goerge Buh came to town and his car was towed away cos it was along the route Bush would have taken into London - they wanted to charge him God know's how much for a car that was perfectly legally parked when it was parked.

What I'd like to know is - if someone parks infront of your driveway and is stopping you from getting your own car out can you have it towed away?

Some builders did that to me once and went off in their 2nd Van to get supplies - they were working at the next door neighbours house.