Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Our environment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I read an article on the BBC only the other day and some top politician said that our problem of pollution and destroying our atmosphere, melting the caps etc is all 'blown up' to be much bigger than it is by the media. I dont understand how this is possible when everything I have read has been quoted by scientists so how is it blown up? I thought it was obvious the world has to change to look after our environment more. Why would private sector companies find it so critical to be so envrionmentally friendly if there isn't a problem?

Comments

• Options
    mrbox99 wrote:
    Why would private sector companies find it so critical to be so envrionmentally friendly if there isn't a problem?
    They want the publicity that goes with being 'environmentally friendly'. Global warming is happening, the only argument is what's causing it, and there are scientists arguing for both sides - natural or caused by man. But as far as I can tell, the majority of experts believe that humans are having a significant effect.
  • Options
    Humans are certainly causing great problems to our atmosphere, that is known fact. What I think is "blown up" is the extent. There certainly aren't going to be any near apocalyptic climatic changes that'll mean the end of civilisation. I think humans have almost reached our peak in the damage we're doing. In 3 or 4 generations time we'll have wised up enough to protect our planet better. That's why we're spending billions on recycling campaigns, providing more renewable power and have thousands of scientests working out better ways of conserving energy and finding out cleaner ways of producing it. I wouldn't worry too much.
  • Options
    Most experts would disagree with you turlough.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Blagsta wrote:

Indeed.

Not only that, they are right to be fair. The only people ignoring the great threat Global Warming is causing (and the results we can already see around us) are idiots and religious extremists.

G.W.Bush manages to fill both categories. Hence his worrying appraoch to the problem of "It doesn't exist".

If we don't do something, FAST, prepare for an ice age. Buy lots and lots of tinned food, folk!
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

In what regards? I mentioned quite a few things in my post.