Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Q regarding the "theft" of an animal

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, this is gonna sound odd, but bear with me.

my nanna lives nr me+every time i go to see her theres a cat hanging around outside her house. its so skinny, you can feel its ribs really clearly. i asked her about it and she said it belongs to a woman across the street, who keeps it outside permanently (even in snow and hail), and who doesnt feed or water it.

My Q is, where would i stand if i took this cat to live with me? its breaking my heart seeing it like this+its so friendly and sweet. would i get arrested? i dont think the woman would even notice it was missing TBH.

Pls, dont sugest the RSPCA, as the lady who lives next door to the 'owner' called them, and they came out, looked at the cat+said they couldnt do anything bcos it was only borderline underweight, due to my nanna feeding this cat, bless her. But, they said it was verging on underweight.

Help? i dont wana get arrested, but just really feel for this poor little thing.

Comments

• Options
    By the sounds of it the owner probably wouldnt notice or care. You'd be doing the poor thing a favour.

If I were you I'd take it and keep schtum, no one would need to know.
  • Options
    im soo tempted! but what if its microchipped? Can they do that to cats, i know they can to dogs? What if she figures out its me+says something to my nanna?
  • Options
    Does she actually care about the cat, she doesn't seem bothered, can you not have a word with her tell her you don't mean to be rude and then ask if you could have the cat?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Cats can be microchipped. However, you need the details and documentation in order to change it.
  • Options
    She probably wouldn't care, tbh. Have you had a look on the RSPCA website to see what they say about this yet?
  • Options
    squeal16 wrote:
    Does she actually care about the cat, she doesn't seem bothered, can you not have a word with her tell her you don't mean to be rude and then ask if you could have the cat?

That does seem like the sensible thing to do.
  • Options
    i'd take it tbh - its probably more or less your nanas cat now as she's feeding and its hanging around hers.
    Poor thing. Let us know what you do.
  • Options
    You wanna get the RSPCA onto them, people like that deserve all the shit that can be thrown at them
  • Options
    If she can't even be bothered to feed the cat it is unlikely she has paid good money to have the thing chipped.