Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bacterial vaginosis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone ever had this?
If so how were you treated? Did it clear up for good?
Did they give you tablets (if so were they as nasty as they sound)?

Comments

• Options
    no.
    but if you want some info. i found this http://www.besttreatments.co.uk/btuk/conditions/1000288199.jsp
  • Options
    i've had it. its quite common, usually caused by over cleaning or a new sexual partner. you need to take antibiotics for 7days. to stop you gettting it again you need to be careful when cleaning down there; my doc said to just clean with water rather than shower gel and be careful not to use too much bubblebath. there are some products you can buy though which are specifically designed for cleaning a womans private parts. i think you can but them from boots.

edit: i don't know what you mean by nasty sounding tablets. they're just antiobiotics.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i've had it. its quite common, usually caused by over cleaning or a new sexual partner. you need to take antibiotics for 7days. to stop you gettting it again you need to be careful when cleaning down there; my doc said to just clean with water rather than shower gel and be careful not to use too much bubblebath. there are some products you can buy though which are specifically designed for cleaning a womans private parts. i think you can but them from boots.

edit: i don't know what you mean by nasty sounding tablets. they're just antiobiotics.

Which ones did you take?

clindamycin tablets (Cleocin).
    metronidazole tablets (Flagyl)

Did you have any side effects? and has it gone now? They say some people don't know they have it but i do so i would know if i had it back after if you kwim?
    As for nasty sounding tablets, they have some very harsh side effects listed like unconcienceness. The second doctor i saw told me not to take them as they were quite nasty tablets.
  • Options
    i have been taking the metroindazole ones for 5days and afaik i don't have any side effects. and the "problem" has gone away.
  • Options
    Ok thanks
  • Options
    I've had it. Ever since I've had my implanon in (about 2 months), due to the hormones it's been reaccuring. I had it 3 or 4 times in a row, and had tablets for it, and also a cream that you use an applicator with.

It is very common though.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    I've had it. Ever since I've had my implanon in (about 2 months), due to the hormones it's been reaccuring. I had it 3 or 4 times in a row, and had tablets for it, and also a cream that you use an applicator with.

It is very common though.

Did you get any side effects from the tablets or cream?
  • Options
    Umm... had a sore stomach from the tablets, but nothing from the cream, as it's a direct application.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    but nothing from the cream, as it's a direct application.

I was thinking of asking for this rather than the tablets as i don't react to tabets well at the best of times.
  • Options
    I've had metranidazol for other things, no real problems but they really do mean it when it says don't drink. It's worth bearing in mind that all tablets list all the side effects including the very very rare unusual drastic ones, just to cover their backs so you can't say they didn't warn you.

It's a very common condition with a very common treatment, so unless you've had major problems with antibiotics in the past I'd just get on with the treatment. Finish the course even if it goes away as this will help prevent a recurrence.

If your worried about your stomach then take the tablets exactly how it says on the packet with respect to food.

Metranidazol is on practially every prescribing list going, so it can't be that evil other wise they make it far harder to get hold off. It's taken by almost everyone who gets antibiotics to treat a dental infection.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    metronidazole tablets (Flagyl)

Did you have any side effects?

I've had these a couple of times for tooth dramas, and didn't get any side effects at all :thumb:

Obviously any medication has effects and risks, but the benefits generally outweigh them. Keep eating your live yoghurt to minimise digestive side effects. Cheaper than those probiotic drink things and just as effective :yes:
  • Options
    I had BV a few months ago, and took metronidazole and it cleared up in that week. Since then, the doctor told me to wash with aqueous cream as she said soaps etc could trigger it off again.
    Keep eating your live yoghurt to minimise digestive side effects. Cheaper than those probiotic drink things and just as effective

And also less sugar
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    there are some products you can buy though which are specifically designed for cleaning a womans private parts.
    These are not very good for you though as they are too harsh. Aqueous cream or just plain water is much better.
  • Options
    Remember, you don't have to take medicines that your doctor gives you- you can leave your vagina alone and not take antibiotics if you want. If you do take the pills, take the whole course as directed though.
  • Options
    ive had it it was horrible, never experienced pain like that before although i had thrush at the same time so dont really know what was what. they just give you anti-biotics, theyre not nasty but just really big but you can just break them in half.