Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Does the truth hurt THAT much ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
An individual calling himself "The Attorney General" ( is that a label or is that what he really is :chin: ) is of the opinion that another individual needs "restraining" (sounds to me like sugar coated violence :chin: ) because he is likely to ........... tell the truth.:shocking: :shocking:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=17469515%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=shayler%2dis%2dsilenced%2d-name_page.html

Comments

• Options
    There you go spouting that sugar coated labelling bollocks. Are those your only two political buzzwords? You must have used them about 5 times each now.

Ok, I've just read the article. Are you fucking retarded? It says there that James Goldsmith, who is the Attorney General incidentally, banned Shayler from disclosing the information because of a little thing called THE OFFICIAL SECRETS ACT. This same act protects all the pieces of information that could be seriously harmful to our nation if they were publicly available; information such as names of our operatives operating overseas, where they are yadda yadda yadda. The Official Secrets Act protects us more than you will ever know.

Shayler himself says that these bits of information contain "disclosures that could endanger lives". How fucking stupid are you? He should be fucking silenced if he's willing to disclose information harmful to our country just out of a childish spat with his former paymasters. So 'the truth' as you said could endanger lives both here and abroad. I sincerely hope that were he to break Goldsmith's order and reveal the information, no newspaper would stoop as low as to publish it though I suspect I'm probably wrong.

In short, do your research before spouting some load of moronic neo-liberal crap about which you know nothing.
  • Options
    THE OFFICIAL SECRETS ACT...protects all the pieces of information that could be seriously harmful to our nation if they were publicly available; information such as names of our operatives operating overseas, where they are yadda yadda yadda. The Official Secrets Act protects us more than you will ever know.

It doesn't protect you or me, mate.

It does, however, protect the politicians and war-mongers who lie and murder hundreds of thousands of people in order to protect their power and bank balances.

Unless you think that we're all safer because we don't know how many people our government murders in our name?

The Official Secrets Act is there simply to stop the public knowing what our leaders do. Because if we knew for one second just what they got up to, their power would crumble away.
  • Options
    And it also protects the kind of things that Shayler was willing to divulge. Names of operatives etc. who are actually working for the good of this country so in a roundabout way, it does protect you and me. Perhaps only nominally but it still does. The Act isn't just to cover politician's backs. Some of it is actually necessary. I mean, we're talking military and strategic operations here. If some of that was fully public there wouldn't be much point in having them in the first place.

But you still agree that Goldsmith was right in telling Shayler to shut up?
  • Options
    . Names of operatives etc. who are actually working for the good of this country The Act isn't just to cover politician's backs. Some of it is actually necessary. I mean, we're talking military and strategic operations here. If some of that was fully public there wouldn't be much point in having them in the first place.

?
    very true. it is a dangerous world and always has been.
  • Options
    You think Shalyer is telling the truth? :eek:
  • Options
    But you still agree that Goldsmith was right in telling Shayler to shut up?

Much of what Shayler was trying to divulge was about the treason and murder our intelligence services have committed in our name.

Spies who have murdered, or attempted to murder, should be named publicly.

Having said that, I don't think Shayler is really in a position to tell us anything we don't know already.
  • Options
    I always love it when people who lie for a living (spies essentially) turn up in the real world and everyone believes everything they say!
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    I always love it when people who lie for a living (spies essentially) turn up in the real world and everyone believes everything they say!

Oh, i think they tell the truth a lot, but there's always an agenda.

When these spies turn up I always think that someone is trying to hide something with a harmless whistleblower.

I mean Shayler's been out of the loop since 1996 at the very latest, what he's able to reveal isn't going to be damaging.
  • Options
    Mind you the assassination plot was pretty embrassing when he revealed it, given the timing.
  • Options
    It was only embarrassing because of how pathetic it was :lol:

You can always rely on MI6 to balls it up.
  • Options
    In short, do your research before spouting some load of moronic neo-liberal crap about which you know nothing.

What does neo-liberalism have to do with the topic? :confused:

Trying doing some research yourself, it might help you avoid looking like a 'tard by throwing words around you don't understand.
  • Options
    okay, everyone calm down with the insults
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    What does neo-liberalism have to do with the topic? :confused:

Trying doing some research yourself, it might help you avoid looking like a 'tard by throwing words around you don't understand.

Perhaps because he starts the thread with 'Does the truth hurt that much'. To me, that smacks rather badly of the weekend pinko who's read Marx and wears a Che tshirt and thinks that they're revolutionary. Trust me, I went to school with a lot of these twats. Perhaps in retrospect I should have written weekend liberalism in lieu of neo-liberalism. God, white weekend liberals sicken me.

That and he put the words Attorney General in apostrophes which, to me, means he's questioning such a post. Either he's never heard of it or he sounds dubious over its right to exist which, again, given my experience with these types, looks like a weekend leftie who's rebelling against this man being told to shut up rather than revealing the truth. Even though revealing the truth would probably, by Shayler's own admission, probably cost lives. Ok?
  • Options
    Marxism is not neo-liberalism - that's the point.
  • Options
    I didn't say it was.
  • Options
    Perhaps because he starts the thread with 'Does the truth hurt that much'. To me, that smacks rather badly of the weekend pinko who's read Marx and wears a Che tshirt and thinks that they're revolutionary.

"The weekend pinko" ?? :chin:

I have read Marx. I can`t say I valued the labour he allegedly put into his writings,if you get my drift ?

But i`ve never worn a Che t-shirt. In my opinion, an(other) idiot who wanted to improve the world when he couldn`t improve himself.

Why do you think that I think that I`m revolutionary (whatever that is) :confused:
    Trust me,

I think that would need a leap of faith on my part having read your previous postings.
    I went to school with a lot of these twats.

"These twats" ? ?

Perhaps you should have questioned the school rather than the twats ?

I was fortunate to escape the propaganda gulag a considerable time ago,so I think I may not be in such an early stage of recovery as you,but I guess that`s another topic.
    Perhaps in retrospect I should have written weekend liberalism in lieu of neo-liberalism. God, white weekend liberals sicken me.

To paraphrase someone I read earlier : your use of language, as a linguist (?), fascinates me.
    That and he put the words Attorney General in apostrophes which, to me, means he's questioning such a post.

For sure, I`m questioning it.From my experience here`s a piece of (free) advice. If someone tells you not to question something then check your wallet and run away as fast as you can. Chances are they intend to rob you,kill you or maybe both.
    Either he's never heard of it or he sounds dubious over its right to exist

"It`s right to exist". An interesting turn of phrase to give to someone`s alleged job title. (The "alleged" refers to the job, in case there is confusion)
    given my experience with these types, looks like a weekend leftie who's rebelling against this man being told to shut up rather than revealing the truth.

"weekend leftie" ? ? More gobbledegook to me.

As I understood it he wasn`t being told to shut up,he was told he had to be "restrained". Which in the past has equated to being kidnapped and held hostage on two occasions. Not to mention the guy had his wordly possessions stolen.
    Even though revealing the truth would probably, by Shayler's own admission, probably cost lives. Ok?

How do you know ?

IF it was true,whose lives ?

"Our nation", "our operatives". Explain yourself. What evidence have you for ANY connection to the individuals to which you refer ?
  • Options
    I can't understand why the Attorney General wanted to silence him. Then again, this is a Government with a particular fear of the truth. Imagine how quick they'd be to silence him if he'd worked in the intelligence services before and during the Iraq war. Imagine what he could tell us then.

Notice how quiet the Tories are on this? I wonder if Shayler knows anything more about the sex scandals that blighted the Tories during the 90s.