Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Stephen Lawrence murder: there might be hope yet

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    it's asking one whole race not to trust the police because a few white cops were corrupt and racist.

Errr....no it isn't. Try reading it again.

Oh and stop trolling. :p
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    btw do you know what the sus laws were?

Nope, did a quick wee search there and apparently it was abolished round the early 1980's. What's that got to do with the police today?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Errr....no it isn't. Try reading it again.

Ok, it says "can't" instead of "shouldn't," the point I'm trying to make is that she signles out blacks. Why not just everyone, what she is trying to say is that the police, a widely recognised white institution, is inherently racist against blacks. That to me is in itself, a racist comment.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I can't blame her for being resentful of the police, the justice system and society at large given what has happened though.

I don't blame her for being bitter, but that doesn't make her bitter ramblings accurate, fair or tolerable.

It certainly doesn't mean she should be put on a fucking pedestal to say how fantastically great she is and how every word she utters is total truth.
    No. The police never cocks up. There is no such thing as racism, corruption or prejudice amongst coppers.

It's not as prevalent as the lefties try to claim.
    The BBC are an evil organisation that makes things up and should be broken down and sold.

I think the BBC have proven several times that they are liars.

After all, that's what an independent judicial review concluded.
    And Stephen Lawrence was asking for it as well, presumably.

I was gonna say something intelligent, but actually, sod that, that comment is too stupid for words.

Take that implication and ram it up your fucking arse.
  • Options
    Like Sophia said the police is not an exclusive white institution so I can't see how the commens could be seen as racist.

The racism here is that of the murderers of Stephen Lawrence and the insitutionalised one that was present in the police and prejudiced the case in such way (he's black so he must be a drug dealer so the murder was just drug related- case closed, let's go fetch some doughnuts).

And it cannot be denied that there have been (and sadly, they continue to be) mistreatment of black people at the hands of the police. The comments might or might not be wrong, but they ain't racist.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't blame her for being bitter, but that doesn't make her bitter ramblings accurate, fair or tolerable.

It certainly doesn't mean she should be put on a fucking pedestal to say how fantastically great she is and how every word she utters is total truth.

I was gonna say something intelligent, but actually, sod that, that comment is too stupid for words.

Take that implication and ram it up your fucking arse.
    Pity you can't spot sarcasm.

Sarcasm that was prompted by your cynical post full of allegations and accusations that remain to be proven.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Like Sophia said the police is not an exclusive white institution so I can't see how the commens could be seen as racist.

Why did she single out blacks then. Why didn't she just say "No one can trust the police" She's infereing that the police are mainly white, they're racist and don't give a fuck about blacks when in reality, it was only a few corrupt cops.
  • Options
    Well the police certainly was institutionally racist towards blacks (and maybe other minorities) at the time of the Stephen Lawerence murder. If I were a black person I wouldn't be too confident I would be treated as fairly as a white person. I'm sure many blacks do. But many others might not.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Well the police certainly was institutionally racist towards blacks (and maybe other minorities) at the time of the Stephen Lawerence murder. If I were a black person I wouldn't be too confident I would be treated as fairly as a white person. I'm sure many blacks do. But many others might not.

The whole police, or just a few. The phrase, "Blacks can't trust the police" is very misleading IMO.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    And I hope to God the BBC can't prove what they say, because hopefully the lawsuit will bankrupt the proven liars at Auntie.

You wish. We all know the BBC wouldn't be 'bankrupted' - the license fee would just go up again.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

You're not refering to Hutton are you?
  • Options
    You wish. We all know the BBC wouldn't be 'bankrupted' - the license fee would just go up again.
    Why would you wish any ill to the best and most impartial and respected news organisation in the world?

Surely not so ultra right wing lying scumbags such as Rupert Murdoch can claim total dominance of world media and brainwash everyone just as they do to the American public?

The BBC is one of the few things mankind has produced that is precious and should be protected and treasured.
  • Options
    Oh, I'm not naive enough to think that they actually would be bankrupted.

The most impartial news source in the world? Are you having a laugh? The Beeb is as biased as the rest, its just bias that agrees with your world view.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    The whole police, or just a few. The phrase, "Blacks can't trust the police" is very misleading IMO.

The way she construes her arguments is that ALL black people cannot trust the police, and the only reason why they cannot be trusted is because all police officers are white. As they are white they are therefore racists who will deliberately target black people.

Her attitude, shown in much of what she says, is that the police only did what they did because he was black, and the police only did what they did because they were white.

The main problem I have with her is that she seems to think she is some sort of authority because her son was murdered and the police cocked up the investigation. It's not like the police haven't done that before, and not all the victims of bungled investigations were black.
  • Options
    On international affairs CNN is perfectly balanced most of the time, in America it's more often accused of a liberal bias although the left complain too. It's Middle East reporting is criticised by both sides...For domestic news I find Sky News far more balanced. The BBC's bias is admittedly very subtle unlike Channel4 News which is unashamedly hostile to the Conservative Party and anti-American and anti-Israel. (Reflecting the far-left political views of Jon Snow). The Biased BBC blog though excellently exposes BBC bias time and time again.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Nope, did a quick wee search there and apparently it was abolished round the early 1980's. What's that got to do with the police today?

You're not this thick turlough, stop pretending you are.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Ok, it says "can't" instead of "shouldn't," the point I'm trying to make is that she signles out blacks. Why not just everyone, what she is trying to say is that the police, a widely recognised white institution, is inherently racist against blacks. That to me is in itself, a racist comment.

The police have a history of being racist against blacks turlough. This is fact. People have memories.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

I'm wondering if you've ever been to areas like Brixton, Hackney, St Pauls, Handsworth, Toxteth etc?

A black mate of mine in his late 30's who grew up in Hackney and now lives in Brixton has lots of stories to tell about the police stopping him and harassing hime merely because of his colour. It was very common for black people to be fitted up and beaten in the back of the van for no reason except their skin colour in the 80's. It still sometimes happens today.
    Funnily enough, my mate now teaches race diversity training at Hendon.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Why did she single out blacks then. Why didn't she just say "No one can trust the police" She's infereing that the police are mainly white, they're racist and don't give a fuck about blacks when in reality, it was only a few corrupt cops.

Read up about Brixton in the 70's and 80's turlough. It might give you some insight.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Read up about Brixton in the 70's and 80's turlough. It might give you some insight.

I'm well aware. I've seen a documentary about the Brixton riots recently on T.V.
  • Options
    Well stop writing silly things then. Naughty boy.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    It was very common for black people to be fitted up and beaten in the back of the van for no reason except their skin colour in the 80's. It still sometimes happens today.

And the police, of course, never ever do that to white people.

:rolleyes:

I'm not saying the police are pure, but it sure as hell isn't all about black people. And I genuinely don't believe the police fucked up simply because he was black, because that implies they wouldn't have left a white lad of similar background there, and the police would have done.
  • Options
    If you think there is no racism in the police anymore, you're crazy. If you think people don't remember the sus laws and what the police (especially the met) were like in the 70's and 80's, you're even crazier.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    If you think there is no racism in the police anymore, you're crazy.

You're not reading what I say.

I just don't think that every black kid who gets nicked is nicked because he's black- which is something Lawrence has tried to imply on a number of occasions.

The police treat people they don't like badly everywhere- the kids off the estates in Carlisle get treated like crap, and there ain't a black kid in sight there.
  • Options
    Kermit, people have long memories. The police in areas like Brixton behaved appalingly in the 70's and 80's. They cocked up the Stephen Lawrence enquiry because he was black. It's hardly surprising the Doreen Lawrence has the views she has.

I'm wondering if you have any thing you can point to to support your opinion of her as racist?
  • Options
    A lot of it is how she says things and how she implies things. Turlough has already shown one thing- all about the implications she draws, not the actual words.

She isn't stupid enough to come out and be openly racist.

The police have behaved badly in lots of areas, and it isn't just against black people. It never was.

I don't blame her for being angry at what happened, and I can understand why she hates the police, but what annoys me so much is how everyone else tongues her arse and says how fucking wonderful she is. Her son was murdered, sad, but it doesn't make her an expert on social policy. Mostly I think she's just a tired old gobshite.

I genuinely don't think it was cocked up because he was black, because the police cock up lots of things, and not all the victims are black. And I don't really believe or care what MacPherson said, as I think that report was more about appeasing the media darling Lawrence than anything else.
  • Options
    So you haven't actually got anything to back up your smears?

btw, find out something about Brixton policing in the 70's and 80's
  • Options
    A smear? Hardly.

It's an opinion formed on ten years of what she's said. As I've just explained, I can't point to one particular thing she's said. She hasn't said "I hate white people", but a lot of what she says implies that she does.

I'm also well aware of policing, thank you very much.

As usual Blaggy, you're falling into the trap of thinking that because I think its bullshit it means I don't know enough about it. I know plenty about it, and I think most of what Doreen Lawrence says is tired old gobshite.
  • Options
    I think the issue is that it would simply be helpful for everyone if you could what she's said that backs up your viewpoint, especially if this is to move forward, even if what you quote indeed only implies what your saying. In afraid posting nothing, doesn't build a very strong arguement.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    A smear? Hardly.

It's an opinion formed on ten years of what she's said. As I've just explained, I can't point to one particular thing she's said. She hasn't said "I hate white people", but a lot of what she says implies that she does.

I'm also well aware of policing, thank you very much.

As usual Blaggy, you're falling into the trap of thinking that because I think its bullshit it means I don't know enough about it. I know plenty about it, and I think most of what Doreen Lawrence says is tired old gobshite.

So you can't actually back up your pov?