Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

National Rail

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well i find it amusing how a traffic hold up can keep you 10 mins, over say 10 miles in a car, quite a few miles in a train however, and 10 mins is murder
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    MrG wrote:
    well i find it amusing how a traffic hold up can keep you 10 mins, over say 10 miles in a car, quite a few miles in a train however, and 10 mins is murder
    I know.

People piss me off.
  • Options
    I know, 10 mins late on a 300 mile journey and the world's about to end.

Especially when I was later than that this morning cause some stupid cunt at the gas board has started digging up our shiny new dual carriageway.
  • Options
    Some days i love the trains, some days i hate them!

As i do not have a car, i travel by trains alot of the time! Sometimes they are cheaper and more convient than a car. But other times they are beyond incompetant.

The other week travelling between Manchester and Norwich our central train service stopped at Nottingham. They realised they had no driver or conductor to continue the driver. But no worries, a bus will be here shortly - it never turned up.

Instead of getting into Norwich at half 8, i got into Norwich at 11.45pm.

Better not get me started :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Trains are no more expensive than driving,
    You keep saying this, but you seem to be forgetting trains carry a large number of people whose fares are contributing to the cost of travel, whereas in most cases with a car there is only 1 person footing the bill. So if the cost is being shared between more people, it should cost less per person.
  • Options
    kermit meant it as it costs less per person to travel by train

it probly costs a lot to run a train though, a hell of a lot
  • Options
    I don't just mean the petrol money, though.

There's the road tax, the insurance, and also the whopping great chunk of income tax taken to pay for all these lovely roads. And then there's the environmental cost of all the car fumes, and the fumes and pollution created in making the road, and the damage to the environment putting tarmac though fields creates.

Cars are so much more expensive than trains. Compare a main line, which is about 25 feet wide, to the eight-lane motorways which snake around the country.
  • Options
    Most of the time trains and public transport are alright. Some of the trains are a bit short (i.e. Virgin Cross country ones, and some of the 2 carriage commuter sheds around here), but in general I've had few problems (save for lightning striking signals) but shit happens.

Last week I did a bit of travelling about, and a car would've been so much more useful (especially when the bus stop/train station are the other side of town). My soon-to-expire railcard made it not too expensive (£55 for Leeds -> Southampton), but 80 quid plus without one.
    One or two other people would've justified the cost (maybe not the environmental one, and a tax break is a pipedream) of a car (maybe not if hiring!), even with the high petrol prices. But you pay the tax/insurance regardless of how much you use it, so the more you use it, the cheaper it becomes.

Commuting wise, it's public transport all the way for me. No faffing with parking of a morning, and I can have a drink after work if I want. But that's only because I work in a city centre.
    If I didn't then it'd be a nightmare.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Are useless. Discuss.

I went to visit my girlfriend in Swansea for a bit. My train from London Paddington, having had to go into London in the first place cos Aylesbury is the arse end of nowhere, was 45 minutes slow due to being stuck behind a slower train apparantly. The same happens on the way back. Cant these people keep simple timetables?! If id had to pay full whack the journey would have cost me £70. But by buying 2 singles it cost me £29, wheres the logic in that? Is it just to rip people off?

They made my trip on the London Underground seem the height of time keeping.

Sounds like a job for "Thomas The Tank Engine"

The entire train system in this country is a bit of a shambles.

The pricing structure is messy too and I've yet to see many journeys that if there's 2 or more people going isn't cheaper by car (assuming petrol is the only consideration)
  • Options
    Why is the pricing system messy? It's exactly the same as used by everyone else.

Book in advance and travel when nobody else wants to, and you pay pence. Travel on the day when everyone else wants to and you pay a fortune.
  • Options
    the pricing can be a bit dodgy so i always check the price of 2 singles because it can be cheap as. went to newquay, cost me £70 rtn for 19 hours travel, and even though there was a bomb scare they quickly transfered us to buses and was only 15 mins late!
    recently been to italy and the trains were on time mainly but there system is fair more complicated because you had to buy tickets depending on time and different compaines had different rules so i prefere UK and some of the trains were ancient!

three days ago my trains from devon to penrith, got off at lancaster to change to get to penrith, but the train going to penrith was delayed by an hour to they told me to get back on the train and they specially stopped off in penrith so i could get off! and i was the only one to get off! thats special
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    three days ago my trains from devon to penrith, got off at lancaster to change to get to penrith, but the train going to penrith was delayed by an hour to they told me to get back on the train and they specially stopped off in penrith so i could get off! and i was the only one to get off! thats special

The joys of the 'Special stop order' - Can be very useful sometimes!

As for anyone who says trains are ridiculously expensive - I'm off to London tommorow for £17 return. Around 4p per mile. You probably couldn't park your car in London for 3 days for less than that.