Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Electric Toothbrush vs Manual

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondering if there are benefits to have an electic toothbrush. I've used one years ago but in recent years have used a normal toothbrush. Thing is I feel like my teeth are thoroughly cleaned even after a long session of brushing. I'm quite a freak about my teeth - I hate that they seem to whiten more and I brush them often, but then they start to yellow and I'm wondering if I need maybe a more hardcore brush than my manual one.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Options
    i think electice does a better job thought i use a manual one. dont brush your teeth too more in a day or they will bcom sentsive then
  • Options
    lisalashe wrote:
    dont brush your teeth too more in a day or they will bcom sentsive then

What in the world is that supposed to mean?

I don't know specifics, but I have both a manual and electric, one of those fancy ones that spins like 1000000 times a second. I always feel so much cleaner after using the electric one, but only use it about once a week.

I think it is mostly because the electric toothbrush has a timer so I'm guaranteed to brush for 2 minutes as opopsed to the probably 1minute I do with regular

I'm rambling now, sorry.

Are you using a whitening toothpaste? Crest does a great one. It obviously keeps the important things of a toothpaste but with the whitening part. Do you smoke or drink coffee daily?
  • Options
    As long as your brush properly with a good quality toothbrush that you replace at least every 3 months you can get an equally good result with a manual toothbrush.

For people who are lazy or have difficulty with a regular toothbrush then an electric one is ideal. To start with I'd make sure yoru vigorusly brushing all your teeth and gums with a decent manual toothbrush for at least two minutes using toothpaste that contains fluoride.
  • Options
    As long as your brush properly with a good quality toothbrush that you replace at least every 3 months you can get an equally good result with a manual toothbrush.

I disagree .... I have had a number of dentists over the last few years and each and everyone has said that electric toothbrushes are the best.
  • Options
    yeah, my dentist is always telling me to get an electric one, he said not to use it every day though.
  • Options
    Well I live with one, and a reasonable quality electric toothbrush will do no better job than you brushing your teeth PROPERLY. The catch is that generally people don't brush their teeth properly so an electric toothbrush makes a better deal of a bad job.
  • Options
    I always thought I cleaned my teeth really well with a manual brush. So when my dentist said I should use an electric one I went to sainsbury's (who have one at half price).

BOY was I shocked at how clean my teeth get now. I told my sister about it, and she bought one too. She said her teeth feel really smooth now, and it takes a lot less effort.
  • Options
    They make it easier to clean awkward areas.
  • Options
    I'm so going to get one now.

RIP Tesco Value Toothbrush
  • Options
    I've got a Crest dual action one and it keeps My teeth lovely and sparkly-ish!!

See picture below...

:D
  • Options
    electric toothbrushes can double up as a vibrator if you removed th bristley bit.

Wanking with a manual toothbrush is crap though, and gives me chafe.
  • Options
    I'm blind!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I think electric toothbrushes are good because they stop me brushing too hard -- with a normal brush I have a tendency to brush way too hard which is obviously bad for your gums etc. Can't really do that with an electric as you don't make the brushing action, you just move it round your mouth.

You can tell when a lot of peopel brush too hard cos they have white patches on their tooth enamel .. noticed a lot of the cast of Neighbours has them ..
  • Options
    Not to be picky, but thats calcification, has nothing to do with brushing.
  • Options
    Well I live with one, and a reasonable quality electric toothbrush will do no better job than you brushing your teeth PROPERLY. The catch is that generally people don't brush their teeth properly so an electric toothbrush makes a better deal of a bad job.

I would bet that if you used disclosing tablets after a day of brushing with a toothbrush and a day of brushing with an electric one, your teeth will be cleaner after the electric toothbrush. The rotary action of some electric brushes and the sonic action of others, are far more efficient at lifting tartar and plaque than doing it manually.

Oh well - we can agree to disagree, can't we? ;) :thumb:
  • Options
    yeah but you may as well not brush your teeth at all if youre gonna have that blue stuff all over em.