Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hair Dye Residue

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Good morning, everyone!

I am new to this forum, and I came here out of concern for my family, and I am hoping that someone can help me.

I have a step-daughter that was visiting us last week, and while she was here, we were unaware that she had headlice. We only found out when her mother called us after she had left here, and told us.

I checked everyone in the house, and I had a neighbour check me. I found it on my youngest daughter. Although it isn't bad, it is indeed there.

Now, I checked myself a couple times with a lice comb after I washed my hair. I use Nice 'n Easy Gray Solution Permanent Color on my hair, in dark brown. While using this comb, after I combed through my hair, there was a lot of brown residue of some sort that I wiped off on a paper towel. It doesn't look like what I have removed from my daughter's hair, but it has me real worried now, as I have LONG hair. 3/4 down my back.

My question is, does permanent dye leave this sort of residue on your hair weeks after dying?

Does it make your scalp itch?

I have been checked, and there seems to be no sign of headlice on myself, but I am very worried.

If anyone can shed some light on this for me, I would be very greatful. :)

Thanks in advance!

Heather

Comments

• Options
    i cant help sorry - but i just got home from the gym and my brother is here with his only son (he is a single dad who has jus got his son for the week) and noticed he has head lice

I know nothing about it as have never come accross it before he will only be here for a few hours but i dont want to go near him. I love my hair to bits, and it goes down to my bum, so couldn't ever get rid of it and im really scared. How easily catchable is it? and how easy is it to get rid of?

thanks
  • Options
    jenni30 wrote:
    i cant help sorry - but i just got home from the gym and my brother is here with his only son (he is a single dad who has jus got his son for the week) and noticed he has head lice

I know nothing about it as have never come accross it before he will only be here for a few hours but i dont want to go near him. I love my hair to bits, and it goes down to my bum, so couldn't ever get rid of it and im really scared. How easily catchable is it? and how easy is it to get rid of?

thanks

:eek2: You don't need to get rid of your hair if you get it, you just buy some stuff from the chemist to get rid of them.
    It's very easy to catch when in close contact.
  • Options
    Full Marks is supposed to be good for getting rid of hair lice and there's no need to lose any hair.
  • Options
    I saw on the News recently that Headlice have now built up a tolerance for all the lotions like Full Marks, so it's useless now as it doesn't kill them.

I suggest buying an electric nit-comb - it's battery operated and zaps the buggers to death. It's much easier to do it that way, and use it every day. You can get them from Boots for around £20.

Headlice transfer from head to head via strands of hair. They can't jump. They can't live without a life source, so it's unlikely you'll catch lice from pillows etc. Keep your hair tied back when you're with young children and don't let their heads come into contact with yours.
    The Nits are the eggs - which are white in colour and cling to the hair, near the root. The headlice are adults which tend to stay around the neck and ears.
  • Options
    My question is, does permanent dye leave this sort of residue on your hair weeks after dying?

Does it make your scalp itch?

I occasically get a little bit of residue from the dye, but it all washes out the first time I wash my hair. I've never had an itchy scalp from it either, but I guess you could if you have a very sensitive scalp.

I'd give your hair a good old scrub - work your shampoo in well, then rinse it and do it again. If you still have the residue I'm not sure what to suggest.

And tea tree oil shampoo/spray is supposed to be good for keeping the little buggers out of your hair. The primary school teachers I know swear by it.
  • Options
    The Nits are the eggs - which are white in colour and cling to the hair, near the root. The headlice are adults which tend to stay around the neck and ears.
    I'm being picky, but the white bits are the egg cases, which are empty. The eggs are brown in colour when they are full.
  • Options
    I am really prone to getting them, it's a pain in the arse.

I find that putting 5/6 drops of neat tea tree oil into a bit of shampoo then washing my hair helps. I also put more oil into the conditioner and go through with a nit comb. Takes about 3/4 washes to get rid of the buggers, and then it seems to keep them away. Touch wood.
  • Options
    All this talk of nits makes me want to throw up. Some girl on my street had them so bad and her mum didn't get rid of them... so when my next door neighbour thought the girl had a spider in her hair and moved her hair to look, she saw a massive hole in the back of the kids head where the nits had eaten into her skin.

Sick sick sick. But true. :'(
  • Options
    i dye my hair black and for a few days afterwards, i always end up with different colored water and residue. it really noticeable with dark dyes...my sister bleaches her hair with box color and the only time she notices anything is when she uses a black towel.

as for the scalp itch? my head always itches after dying my hair. its from the chemicals. but then, yours could itch because you're so worried about getting lice. ((another thing, shouldnt the mother have said something BEFORE he saw his daughter??))