Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Principle vs Pragmatism

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/5171698.stm

The best hope of peace for Uganda may be scuppered because the ICC demands that one side of the peace delegation be arrested. Now I'm no fan of the LRA who seem like a bunch of pyschotic nutters to me, but given that the Uganda Government seems to be against the arrest and thinks it the best chance of peace it does raise a question.

Do you go for the pragmatic option, which stops the conflict, but leaves a butcher with blood on his hands to go free?

Or do you arrest him and prolong the conflict leading to more deaths and brutality?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tricky question. It certainly should be answered on a case by case basis.

But in most cases I must say I would be inclined to have them arrested- it depends on what they are fighting for and the facts of the conflict in question.

In this particular case, if the amnesty was guaranteed to put an end to the conflict I might be minded to grant it.
    Exactly, if peace can be guaranteed, go with the amnesty. But otherwise criminals of that nature should be arrested and brought to trial for their crimes so justice can be served, if it can be served i mean.
    You can always slot them later I suppose...