Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Arrested for Fine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I moved house in november, and i know the people who have moved in to my old abode.

They told me last night, that the poluice went round there with an arrest warrent for an unpaid fine..

Im guessing it was a Car tax fine.

My question is moral obligations aside, what should i do?

also if I go to the police station what are they lily to do?

They don't know where i live but im guessing it wont take them to long to find my new address?

Comments

• Options
    Can you afford to pay the fine and any charges that might have built up because you didn't pay it?

If yes, then I'd say contact the police and try and sort it out. For moral reasons.

But I have no idea what they will do to you. Since they had an arrest warrent, I assume that means you will be arrested and possibly charged.
  • Options
    Bear in mind each case is different.

This happened to a mate of mine a few months ago. The police arrested him and kept him in the nick overnight and took him to court the following morning. He gave his genuine reasons for not paying the fine and he was given a 30 day prison sentence suspended for 6 months (the amount of time he was given to pay it off). He paid it off a few weeks early, had a letter from the court to say it was cleared, job done.
  • Options
    You will be arrested and taken to the Magistrates Court for the next available sitting. You will be kept in custody until this date.

This means that if you turn up at the police station at 9am Monday morning you will be sat in the cells an hour before your court date. If you wait for the police to come and find you they will nick you on Friday night, meaning you will be kept in for at least one night. The police will arrest you, and they will do it at the most inconvenient time for you.

My advice would be to contact a solicitor this weekend, and take advice. Their advice will be to go to the police station at 9am one morning, and find out what the fines are for.

I should remind you that failure to pay fines without a good reason may result in a prison sentence.
  • Options
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice people, im going to go and get some advice and take it from there...