Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Legally insane (hypothetical question)

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
Tony is a psychiatrist, hates Jerry for personal reasons and wants to get him in trouble. How easy/difficult would it be for him to declare Jerry legally insane?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What do you mean by "legally insane"? Getting someone sectioned?
  • Options
    legal insanity is proffered as a defense to charges of criminal behaviour, like murder

i assume you mean to get Jerry detained in hospital? very easily it happened to me. the doctor must satisfy himself that the patient would harm himself or others, and that you suffer from a mental disorder. i think if the nearest relative tollerates the doctor's decision and doesn't explicity oppose detention then it's fairly easy to get yourself sectioned because there's no such thing as mental illness.

they made the decision very lightly with me, and purely found grounds for detention on the basis that i SAID TOO MUCH. fuckers fucked up my dreams of holding public office
  • Options
    MIND guide to the Mental Health Act
    http://www.mind.org.uk/Information/Legal/OGMHA.htm
  • Options
    What I meant by "legally insane" is to declare Jerry insane to the government. So, suppose that Jerry wanted to get a job somewhere, the employer might say "Sorry, I can't hire you because you've been declared insane".
    Or if Jerry witnessed a crime, his testimony wouldn't be taken into account in the court because he's legally insane so can't be believed.
    etc.
  • Options
    It doesn't work like that.
  • Options
    Maybe over there it doesn't, I thought it did in most countries. Never mind then.
  • Options
    Over where?
  • Options
    The UK I guess.
  • Options
    Where are you then?
  • Options
    I'm in Greece. And as far as I know it's the same in the USA.
  • Options
    Look up the equivalent to the Mental Health Act in Greek law I guess. I very much doubt that people are declared "legally insane" to the government though, it sounds very Stalinist.
  • Options
    I probably won't bother, I was just curious.