Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

7/7 London bombings: prosecutions may follow

Since the horrendous July 7th atrocities in London last year, it's been something of a hot potato. Countless investigations have been carried out, which have exposed countless problems. Ambulances not arriving, hospitals not prepared, people not knowing what to do. It was a shambles, quite frankly, and an insult to those who died that day at the hands of evil. Though, oddly enough, the Government still refuses to admit the Iraq war was linked to the bombings, and still refuses to hold an independent inquiry. One can only wonder what our Prime Minister is trying to hide.

Meantime, Scotland Yard carries on, and today come some developments. According to the BBC, "Anti-terrorism police investigating the 7 July London bombings say people who knew the attacks were being planned could possibly face prosecution. Officers at a Scotland Yard briefing also said they continue to be very concerned by the intelligence picture, with 70 investigations continuing. Some of the intelligence received was described as "very sinister". The first anniversary of the bombings of London will be marked on Friday by a national two-minute silence." Click here for the details.

My first reaction on reading the headline "7/7 prosecutions a possibility" was something like this. "Oh yeah? And who are they going to charge? The dead suicide bombers?". After reading the story, I get the feeling prosecuting them is simply too little, too late. Weeks before the attacks, one of the maniacs who blew themselves up slipped off MI5's radar, for goodness sake.

I'm not going to doubt the police have an immensely difficult job. The terrorist threat exists, as 7/7 showed us all too vividly, and it is extraordinarily difficult to detect self-starting violent jihadists in the indigenous population. As Lord Carlile, the independent reviewer of the Government's anti-terrorism legislation stated "It is really is like policing for a needle in a haystack."

I'm not entirely sure what the police are trying to aim for, but I will support them on this one. The safety of Britain isn't something we can take risks with. Over to the P&D masses...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    All the 7/7 bombings showed was that shit like ID cards would do nothing to protect the people of Britain. I can't stand the shameful use of events such as this and 9/11 as justification for committing more disgraceful acts and furthering the agendas of some of those in government.