Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Postal Orders or Cheques...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi Guys

I need write a cheque or Postal order to the courts for my Divorce. I was going to use my Credit card to pay this, Can i use a CC to write a Postal Order?

Comments

• Options
    I don't understand the question. You can't write a postal order :/ You get them from the post office.
  • Options
    Sorry yeah that wasn't very clear was it.

I was going to use the credit card to pay the money (as all but a little bit of my wages goes to paying the bills). But the people i'm doing the divorce through say that the courts will only take a Postal Order or a Cheque. As i'm using the credit card i cant do a cheque. so i was wondering if credit card companies write Postal Orders using our cc details?
    has anyone done this?
  • Options
    No - what you would need to do is withdraw the cash from a cashpoint on your credit card, then go to the post office and buy the postal orders. There is a charge for postal orders and they are quite expensive so take out a bit extra to cover it.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Yeah if it came to it i'm put the money direct into my account and write a cheque, but was hoping that the CC companies can write one direct. otherwise i'd get charged for cash withdraw and the interest on it too. was kind of hoping that the cc companies can write a cheque or something and act like a balance transfer.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    You might be able to get cheques from your cc company, but more than likely they'd be treated as a cash advance anyway.
  • Options
    do they not take credit cards at the post office counter? I know they take debit cards but... hmmn
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    do they not take credit cards at the post office counter? I know they take debit cards but... hmmn

I don't think you'd be able to use a credit card to pay for a postal order.
  • Options
    You can get things called credit card cheques, but they would be treated as a cash advance so your interest is charged from the time the cheque is cashed. I expect the credit card company would treat a postal order bought with the card in the same way - because effectively you are using the card to get cash not goods or services.

Can you not pay the divorce settlement in installments?
  • Options
    No can't do it in installments :( the Court want £300 for the form application to do through, then £40 once its all done. Looks like i'll have to bite the bullet and pay the interest. as i want this sorted asap.