Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The death penalty...your views please

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think that now we can prove, with DNA testing and suchlike, that someone who is guilty of a crime such as murder, rape etc should be put to death.
Why keep these evil and dangerous people alive at the tax payers expense?

Comments

• Options
    What gives us the right to take someones life? No matter what they've done. Taking away a persons liberty for the rest of the life is a more fitting punishment. Besides the EU doesnt allow the death penalty.
  • Options
    MattMatt wrote:
    I think that now we can prove, with DNA testing and suchlike, that someone who is guilty of a crime such as murder, rape etc should be put to death.
    Why keep these evil and dangerous people alive at the tax payers expense?
    all evidence can be fiddled ...even DNA.
    finger prints were just as fiddleable.
    many bent coppers around.
    and if you asked lifers if they'd rather die ...many would say yes ...especialy the sex offenders doing life ...so why give them the pleasure?
    and why does cost always come into these discussions?
  • Options
    all evidence can be fiddled ...even DNA.
    finger prints were just as fiddleable.
    many bent coppers around.
    and if you asked lifers if they'd rather die ...many would say yes ...especialy the sex offenders doing life ...so why give them the pleasure?
    and why does cost always come into these discussions?

Maybe because to kill someone is much cheaper than sending someone to prison. It's about £24,000 per year to keep someone in prison.
  • Options
    squeal16 wrote:
    Maybe because to kill someone is much cheaper than sending someone to prison. It's about £24,000 per year to keep someone in prison.
    and how does that effect you?
  • Options
    and how does that effect you?

It doesn't just some have a problem with it :( Sorry for saying.
  • Options
    squeal16 wrote:
    It doesn't just some have a problem with it :( Sorry for saying.
    no need to apologise squeak ...just that it always comes up and is realy quite meaningless.
  • Options
    In the past, I've advocated the death penalty. Why should we let scumbags who kill and maim remain in prison at our expense, only to be freed in five years? But thinking again about it, I would prefer to see them rot in prison for the rest of their lives.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    In the past, I've advocated the death penalty. Why should we let scumbags who kill and maim remain in prison at our expense, only to be freed in five years? But thinking again about it, I would prefer to see them rot in prison for the rest of their lives.
    srious killers do not get out in five years ...hows ian brady doing?
    but ...pinch a shit load of money ...and you get thirty years.
  • Options
    death penalty isnt a punishment, its just a practical solution.

I prefer criminals to be punished...call me old fashioned.
  • Options
    srious killers do not get out in five years ...hows ian brady doing? but ...pinch a shit load of money ...and you get thirty years.
    Five years was a completely random number that doesn't refer to any specific case. As for the theft of money, our authorities firmly believe that money is more important than human life. What else would explain the decisions to go to war in foreign countries, sometimes lying to get into those wars? What else would explain the refusal to do anything about the huge deficits building in the NHS, that could potentially cost lives?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    What gives us the right to take someones life? No matter what they've done. Taking away a persons liberty for the rest of the life is a more fitting punishment

You don't think anybody has the 'right' to take someone's life? - But you support taking away someone's liberty for the rest of their life. Sounds oxymoronic to me. I might agree that life imprisonment is a harsher penalty, the death penalty somehow being the easy way out - but when scum like this, sentenced to 'life' may serve as little as 15 years 'taking away a persons liberty for the rest of [their] life' doesn't happen when it should.
    Renzo wrote:
    Besides the EU doesnt allow the death penalty.

So? Britain is not a colony of the EU, Parliament can at any time repeal the European Communities Act (which automatically incorporates EU law into UK law bypassing Westminster and pissing on the notion of parliamentary sovereignty...but technically at any time we can end our association with the bureaucrats in Brussels by repealing it). Anyway the death penalty would probably only ever be reintroduced by a government that had terminated EU membership so it's not particularly relevant.

Promoting the death penalty as a cheaper option is flawed; in the US in many states that use the death penalty it's been found that death penalty trials, keeping somebody on death row and appeals is more expensive than a typical non-capital murder case.

I don't support the death penalty as a standard sentence for murder but I think a separate first degree murder category should be created and I think for that and for acts of terrorism hanging should be an option.
  • Options
    Balddog wrote:
    death penalty isnt a punishment, its just a practical solution.

I prefer criminals to be punished...call me old fashioned.
    how do you punish a dead man?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    No. For the simple reason that you can never, ever be sure the person you've caught is guilty. In several cases someone has been proven innocent after the sentence has been carried. It's possible to let someone out of prison with a handshake, a "sorry" and money for compensation, but impossible to revive them.
  • Options
    how do you punish a dead man?

er i think you misunderstood my post mate.

I said the death penalty isnt a punishment and that I prefer criminals to be punished....
  • Options
    why should a bunch of suits have the power to terminate my life?
    take a look at the personalities that have and do inhabit those suits.
    they don't handle my money very well ...they repeatedly fail to handle law and order very well ...they take part in wars that the people and even the members of parliament disagree with ...but somehow it's ok giving these bozos the power to kill us?
  • Options
    Balddog wrote:
    er i think you misunderstood my post mate.

I said the death penalty isnt a punishment and that I prefer criminals to be punished....
    ahhh ...sorry.
  • Options
    they don't handle my money very well ...they repeatedly fail to handle law and order very well ...they take part in wars that the people and even the members of parliament disagree with ...but somehow it's ok giving these bozos the power to kill us?
    Increasingly, I feel the only way to restore trust in politics is to take politicians out of it. Ask McDonalds to fly some more MPs over to Germany to watch the World Cu... ah, England are out, aren't they? :p
  • Options
    No. For the simple reason that you can never, ever be sure the person you've caught is guilty.

Well technically to imprison somebody they must be guilty beyond all reasonable doubt...

And it's very spurious to claim that there is no case where it is proven beyond absolutely all reasonable doubt that someone is guilty. One or two doubtful cases doesn't make the rule.
    In several cases someone has been proven innocent after the sentence has been carried. It's possible to let someone out of prison with a handshake, a "sorry" and money for compensation, but impossible to revive them.

What if somebody was imprisoned for life and died in prison? Posthumously their innocence was then revealed. The injustice is no worse than incorrectly executing somebody.
  • Options
    What if somebody was imprisoned for life and died in prison? Posthumously their innocence was then revealed. The injustice is no worse than incorrectly executing somebody.
    It is, because supposedly if someone dies in prison it's the fault of another prisoner or himself, not the government's.
    One or two doubtful cases doesn't make the rule.
    No, but one case where they were wrong is enough to break the rule.
  • Options
    It is, because supposedly if someone dies in prison it's the fault of another prisoner or himself, not the government's.

people die in prison from many causes ...not just at the hands of other inmates but ...even at the hands of razor rick ...surely it's someones fault outside of the prison ...for sending an innocent man down.
  • Options
    It's been discussed several times before and I guess we'll never convince each other. My opinion is that the death penalty is a barbaric and inhuman practice, that nobody has the right to take a person's life, and that states/governments that do are no particularly better than the people they're executing.

Even though mankind is still barbarian in many ways, step by step we're becoming a little more civilised. The death penalty belongs in the past, just as torture, the burning of witches or imprisoment of non-believers and homosexuals does.
  • Options
    This pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.
  • Options
    people die in prison from many causes ...not just at the hands of other inmates but ...even at the hands of razor rick ...surely it's someones fault outside of the prison ...for sending an innocent man down.
    When they go in they're not supposed to die. If they do, it's a whole different case IMO.
  • Options
    When they go in they're not supposed to die. If they do, it's a whole different case IMO.
    heart attacks ...old age ...cancer ...all the usual death stories you get on the outside ...actualy happen on the inside too!
  • Options

It's somebody's own fault if they die of old age after being given a life sentence for a crime they didn't commit? :rolleyes:
    No, but one case where they were wrong is enough to break the rule.

No it's not. It wouldn't have been wrong to execute Hitler (had he not committed suicide) because mistakes have been made in a small number of other executions.

In this case the perpetuator was caught red-handed on CCTV, his guilt has been proven beyond absolutely all reasonable doubt. In such a case as this one it's a worthless argument to base opposition to the death penalty on some historic case where a mistake was made. In this case there quite clearly has been no mistake...There are many good arguments against the death penalty but yours is not one of them.
  • Options
    If someone has commited murder one I'd rather see them incarcarated so they can think about what they've done for the rest of their lives than get off lightly by lethal injection of whatever.
  • Options
    Well the financial arguement is a joke. You're really willing to kill someone to save a bit of money? (Not that it actually does save money, incidentally). The preventative argument is a joke. I'm not an expert on the mindset of a serial killer, but I don't think that, "Oh go on then, the worst I can get is life in prison" comes into it. And as far as I'm aware, there's no direct correlation between the death penalty and the number of murders.

Prison protects the public from people that might kill again. If there's a problem with this, then it can be fixed, but to kill people because the system is flawed seems like a pretty stupid reason. I agree with the general consensus that the authorities couldn't run a sweet shop between them, so I'm really not in favour of putting them in charge of people's lives as well.

That and the fact that murder, is a barbaric act that belongs in the dark ages, and that includes 'official' murders. Just because it has the required effect (and even that's arguable), doesn't mean that it's in any way moral. Torture and extortion can also have the desired effect, but neither of these are acceptable either.
  • Options
    I used to think the death penalty should come into action

but of recent, ive changed my mind. you can never be certain someone is guilty, you never know what evidence might pop up in the future. It would be too easy to rig things up to get a person killed.

Its best to let them stew in prison than to kill them then find out they are not actually guilty. YOu can let them out but you cant bring them back to life. I for one would be extremely pissed off if i was killed as a wrongly accused, not to mention dead.

The justice system on te other hand....i dont agree with the present at all, its so flawed.
  • Options
    instead of killing them, instead of just storing them, let's torture them for life... Now if that's aint a punishement... They will beg for death... Need to be sure tho...
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    I for one would be extremely pissed off if i was killed as a wrongly accused, not to mention dead.
    I don't normally bother with it but sorry, that's gotta be post of the week.:lol: