Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Staying cool!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you live in a house with a second floor, stay downstairs as in the summer the hot air will rise towards the top of the house and the cool air will stay downstairs (there's about a 10 degree diff between my bedroom and my living room)...

Otherwise take lots of showers (not cold)...
    Drink cold drinks...
    Eat loadsa fruit...

Finally spend more time in the sun, the more you are exposed the better your body gets at handling it.
    Fans are a waste of electricity, all they do is redistribute the hot air around the room.
  • Options
    open the loft so the hot air can escape and put a fan in front of open windows to draw in the cooler air
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Blah wrote:
    probably

i dont get it tho, y can people not go swimming if they live therw?

Have you SEEN the dirtyness of our pool? :( Plus it is a very lame pool.

Open the loft? YOU MAD? Its about 1000000000 degrees in the loft.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Have you SEEN the dirtyness of our pool? :( Plus it is a very lame pool.

Open the loft? YOU MAD? Its about 1000000000 degrees in the loft.

heat rises

the hot air wont come down out of the loft

the hot air from your house will join the hot loft = cooler house
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    heat rises

the hot air wont come down out of the loft

the hot air from your house will join the hot loft = cooler house

Hmm, your reasoning is sound. I shall try this now! It does mean opening my cupboard door, as my loft door is in my cupboard. Doh.

Ta.
  • Options
    Rub ice on your wrists, or pour cold water over them instead, drink loads, wear as little as possible. I'm not looking forward to Wed/thurs, its still going to be hot and I have to go to work dressed smartly, rather then casual, as I have to deal with another VAT inspector.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    People. Suggest ways to stay cool indoors this summer, what works for you? I am fucking baking here. Fan is on 3, and I am still hot!

So, what do you do? Windows open. Fan on. Curtains closed. What the fuck else will help? Besides air con?

My processor is still only 37 degrees. Computer is good at being cool.
    The old man has this down to an art.

If you don't have AC, wait till night time, open up every window in the house and set up all your fans so that you've got some kind of cross flow going (so the air goes in through a window in one end of the house and out another). Leave it running all night untill about 10:00 am. Then shut it all down, close all the windows, and close all the doors on the side of the house that are facing the sun, then take all the fans in the house and put them in a circle around you.

Works like a charm.
  • Options
    Top advice with the loft from Blah. It feels cooler now.

Also, it is still hot though. At least my new super comfy chair arrived. Would recommend it to anyone. Woo!
    This one