Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Being arrested

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got arrested for witness intimodation (something i didnt do i might add) and im not that worried because of that fact. But it wasnt a very nice expereince, i have never been arrested before, i have been released on bail and have to go back in a few weeks. They didnt really explain why i have to go back though, could anyone shed any light on that?

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    I got arrested for witness intimodation (something i didnt do i might add) and im not that worried because of that fact. But it wasnt a very nice expereince, i have never been arrested before, i have been released on bail and have to go back in a few weeks. They didnt really explain why i have to go back though, could anyone shed any light on that?

Have you got a bail sheet?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    wow yeah i do ha. i forgot i had, twas in me back pocket! says somethign about duty to surrender to custody before magistrates sitting place bla bla bla
  • Options
    You're on bail then.

And although you may no be guilty of what you were arrested for I would still be a little worried. I've plenty of experience with the police and CPS stitching me up.

Did you get a solicitor?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    No i havnt, didnt think i would need one since i am innocent. I mean i was in other places at the time and i have people to vouch for that. Would it be wise to invest in one?

Also, whats the CPS?
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    No i havnt, didnt think i would need one since i am innocent. I mean i was in other places at the time and i have people to vouch for that. Would it be wise to invest in one?

Also, whats the CPS?

Innocent or not you must always always always get a solicitor, else the police will just take the piss. You may not have even been lumped with bail if you'd got the duty solicitor.

The CPS is the Crown Prosecution Service - bassically the bunch of cunts that take you to caught and try and prosecute you.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Damn. The police are such buggers. I mean, what really pissed me off, they came and arrested me outa my house infront of my neighbours and THEN they made my wait like 6 hours in the cell b4 they questioned me.

I'll certainly look into to getting a solicitor, so what will happen when i go back to the police station?
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    Damn. The police are such buggers. I mean, what really pissed me off, they came and arrested me outa my house infront of my neighbours and THEN they made my wait like 6 hours in the cell b4 they questioned me.

I'll certainly look into to getting a solicitor, so what will happen when i go back to the police station?

I don't know what the deal is with legal aid, you're better off asking Kermit those sort of things.
    Everytime I've been arrested I've made sure I got a solicitor.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    No i havnt, didnt think i would need one since i am innocent.

doesn't really count for much i'm afraid.
  • Options
    When you present yourself for bail, if you are taken back into custody for further questioning you ask for the Duty Solicitor. The Duty Solicitor is always free of charge to yourself, and will provide expert legal advice for you. There are certain low-level crimes where you are not eligible for Duty Solicitor representation in person- because the solicitor won't get paid for his work- but this is too serious an offence for this to be the case.

Innocent or not, you should always take the free legal advice you are entitled to. Police officers are skilled at questioning- it is their job, after all- and are very adept at asking questions to make you look bad. This is because every word you say in the police station can be, and usually is, presented as evidence in court, and is read out to the magistrates, or the jury should it reach that far.

I would be worried about being arrested for perverting the course of public justice, because if the CPS decide there is grounds to prosecute you there is a very real danger of the magistrates declining jurisdiction and committing you to Crown Court for trial.

If the police decide to charge you, the CPS will receive the case details and make a decision on whether prosecution is in the public interest. You will then be summonsed to the Magistrates Court for a pre-trial hearing which will decide whether you should be tried in the Magistrates or Crown Court. You may be eligible for Legal Aid representation, this is usually if there is a risk of you being sentenced to custody, which in this case there would be.

Your Duty Solicitor will usually advise you on how to get Legal Aid representation in court- most Legal Aid solicitors get their work at the police station.

If you need to find a solicitor in the mean time, this is a list of solicitors who are members of the Criminal Law Solicitors Association: Find a solicitor.
  • Options
    cheers for the advise. Well cant be arsed with all this crap. damn police.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    cheers for the advise. Well cant be arsed with all this crap. damn police.

well in all fairness they obviously believe they have grounds for arrest.
  • Options
    i know. But they're i seriosuly doubt they have the intellegence to catch who it really is, cause from what they said they have no other leads, so they're probably going to try pin it on me.
  • Options
    all the more reason why you need a solicitor.
  • Options
    If you did't do it and you were else where wen it happened, can you get some bar staff to vouch for you if you were in a bar?
  • Options
    nah i was at bbq/party thing in a mates back garden for one of the incidents and at home in bed for the other.