Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Plural marriage

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't know if anybody else has been watching er 'Big Love' the HBO drama about a polygamous family but it did get me thinking...I don't really think it's as much of an issue in Britain but regardless if it's all consensual is there really much of a problem? Should it be legalised? I know some of the sects that practice in the States are pretty weird (if not cults) but if it's consensual I can't really see much of a problem.

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aye but the Mormons in the states agreed not to.

And let's face it... as one of my Muslim friends said... could YOU put up with that many moaning wives?! :lol:
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

And let's face it... as one of my Muslim friends said... could YOU put up with that many moaning wives?! :lol:

:lol: True, watching that Big Love thing you end up feeling sorry for the husband. I think the mainstream Mormon Church has rejected polygmy but a few other breakaway Mormon sects (or cults) practice it. I think for some it's a cultural thing.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    :lol: True, watching that Big Love thing you end up feeling sorry for the husband. I think the mainstream Mormon Church has rejected polygmy but a few other breakaway Mormon sects (or cults) practice it. I think for some it's a cultural thing.

Well, as far as I feel, if you want to and the women don't mind, go ahead. Not hurting anyone by doing it.

Osama's father has like, loads of wives, and he's a well respected businessman. Nothing like a problem child to bring the family name into disrepute though eh?

Meh, I don't give a toss. But I think one will be enough for me. She'd better not want a white wedding though... registry office job tbh. Fuck that expensive marriage shit.
  • Options
    As long as the women are over 18 and consent to it I don't care. I would never be okay if my husband got another wife but if other woment don't mind it then whatever. I think it should be legalized. I don't understand why our government has to control our personal life.

I love Big Love by the way. It's such a great show.
  • Options
    Sadly, this world is not nearly as close to being about what should be as to what it is and what it takes to change it (make sense?).

I got no problem with plural marriage.
  • Options
    I don't know if anybody else has been watching er 'Big Love' the HBO drama about a polygamous family but it did get me thinking...I don't really think it's as much of an issue in Britain but regardless if it's all consensual is there really much of a problem? Should it be legalised? I know some of the sects that practice in the States are pretty weird (if not cults) but if it's consensual I can't really see much of a problem.

All the antics in that show should put any man off wanting more then 1 wife, looks like a lot of hassle
  • Options
    So long as it happens the other way too (several husbands to one wife).
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    So long as it happens the other way too (several husbands to one wife).
    Several whinging husbands pretending to be dying when they've only got colds. Any woman who married several men would have my sympathy, what about yours? :p
  • Options
    Mine too, but remember women can multi-task easily ;)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Mine too, but remember women can multi-task easily ;)
    And the least said about any possible bedroom arrangements, the better...
  • Options
    No, it shouldn't be legalised.

Mostly because of the tax issues.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

:lol: So true man... After they out-number you... It can't be good... Can be fun for some part, but it is not worth it next to the hell it must be...
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    No, it shouldn't be legalised.

Mostly because of the tax issues.
    Come to think of it, child custody battles would be interesting too...
  • Options
    looking at the ever escalting divorce rates is obvious that fewer people are managing to survive a long term comittment with one spouse never mind numerous.
    it aint for me thats for sure ...going shopping with one is nightmare enough!
  • Options
    looking at the ever escalting divorce rates is obvious that fewer people are managing to survive a long term comittment with one spouse never mind numerous.

:yes: Still, if they fall out with one wife, then at least they'll have somewhere to go for the night...

However, I don't think it's that fair on the wife, tbh.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    :yes: Still, if they fall out with one wife, then at least they'll have somewhere to go for the night...

However, I don't think it's that fair on the wife, tbh.
    Which bloody wife? :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Which bloody wife? :p

all of them?:p
  • Options

Thing is putting aside religion and tradition, WHY would you want more then one wife???:chin:
  • Options
    How many Mother-in-laws does one man need?
  • Options

A man doesn't NEED any.
    But is bound to get one at least. Jesus, imagine if there was more than one.
    Governments would fall!!
  • Options
    As long as the women are over 18 and consent to it I don't care. I would never be okay if my husband got another wife but if other woment don't mind it then whatever. I think it should be legalized. I don't understand why our government has to control our personal life.
    But the government isn't controlling your personal life. You want to have a relationship and children with ten different women at once, there's nothing stopping you. The question is whether these people should be entitled to the tax benefits that marriage brings, for more than one partner. I don't know what the consequences of that would be. In fact, I don't really have much clue about what legalities marriage brings anyway.
  • Options

:lol: