Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Citronella Oil

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know if this works? Im off on my holidays in two weeks :hyper: but apparantly the place is near a salt lake and theres lots of mosquitos, this woman at work told me this is the best stuff for repelling them?

If so what do you do with it and where can you get it?

Comments

• Options
    Its the main ingredient in all the natural insect repellants, so you get it in most of the ones you buy.

Check the ingredients and its listed there. If you want the pure stuff to drip onto clothes or mix up with a carrier oil then you get it from places that sell aromatherapy oils usually. I generally find it easier to buy the insect repellant as its far easier to apply.

If its somewhere where they are really going to be a problem then you might want to look for something with DEET in it, nice strong evil chemical but works a treat.
  • Options

If its somewhere where they are really going to be a problem then you might want to look for something with DEET in it, nice strong evil chemical but works a treat.
    But make sure that it doesn't contain 100% DEET, check the ingredients, as this can irritate the skin....get one that contains 40-60% DEET, thats what the nurse told me befor ei went on holiday to Africa.
  • Options
    H-face wrote:
    But make sure that it doesn't contain 100% DEET, check the ingredients, as this can irritate the skin....get one that contains 40-60% DEET, thats what the nurse told me befor ei went on holiday to Africa.
    Yeah, DEET is irritant at high concentrations. And they say there is no extra benefit for a concentration higher than 50%.
  • Options
    H-face wrote:

:thumb:

Deet is a good ingrediant to look for. Its what everybody reccomended to bring when I spent those summers at girl scout camp up in the woods and stuff and sitting on the lake. Mosquitos are horrible bastards :(

And remember, if its something you rub on, wash your hands throuly, even twice after. If you touch your eyes it will be so painful, and it tastes like crap if you eat after it :p