Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How to help new parents

I suspect men and women are likely to take equal interest in this. Ysterday, David Cameron gave an interview to The Sunday Times about fatherhood and children. He also attacked Labour policy on the family. And according to the BBC, he's going to be giving a speech on this subject tomorrow. He claims that childbirth can be a key bonding moment or a "missed opportunity which leaves a couple drifting apart". Well, that's what he's apparently going to say. I wonder how the BBC knows these things before our politicos do, but no matter...

More from the BBC about this. // Link to The Sunday Times original article.

I'm not going to subscribe to New Labour's despicable tactic of saying "oh, Cameron's using his kids to make political capital". It's odd how New Labour have remained silent as Tony Blair exploits his kids over nine years. Remember when he gave a picture of Leo to Jacques Chirac and asked the press not to print the picture, only for every newspaper to ignore his request? Where were the same MPs who now condemn Cameron back then? It's a charge that we can laugh at and dismiss coming from these hypocrites.

On the contrary, I think it's very good to see Cameron taking such an interest in children. He's recently been through the experience of becoming a father himself, so I cannot doubt the sincerity of what he's saying. I may have initially criticised his decision to take paternity leave when his wife recently gave birth, but looking back, I was wrong to do so. The timing of all this, on Father's Day, may have been unfortunate, but I think he would have said the same thing whether it came out yesterday or in six months time. My sadly brief experience of looking after a child only gives me a very small idea of what an important job this is, and I commend Cameron fully for highlighting it.

I'm equally in agreement when he condemns the moronic New Labour government. Make no mistake. New Labour policies encourage couples to split up, they encourage mass fatherlessness - people can get more money if they split rather than stay together, a method used by a New Labour, a government with dictatorial tendencies (countless bills from the Home Office designed to crush our freedom of speech and to pander to minority groups who should be told to get lost) to foster state dependency.

I'm going to ask an extremely difficult question here, and it's not one I have many answers to. I feel slightly ashamed of that, but here goes. How can the state help out new parents? For instance, should maternity and paternity pay be increased? What about childcare arrangements in early years? What do you reckon?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.