Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Young people and politics

2»

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Election time by any chance?
    I don't know, I don't live there so I didn't pay much attention.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know, I don't live there so I didn't pay much attention.

Yea it was a few weeks before the general election IIRC. And that was organisers from thesite going out to the politicians, rather than them coming here of their own accord.

I may spam some politicians e-mail addresses with the URL of this thread :chin:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    A) Mass Media - They'd rather watch Big Brother, or Generic Soap #23, or Wayne Rooney's ankle.
    B) The fact that politics is now BORING in the UK - All the main parties same the same old wank, day in, day out.
    C) They don't do anything to interest the young.
    D) It's the way democracy falls. Interest declines, politics stagnates, one extremist group come along... say interesting stuff, take actions people can see... get support, take over.
  • Options
    Lib Dem, Labour, Tory - all you're doing is voting for different management teams vying to serve the same system. Hardly surprising that most people comprising these parties are either career-seekers or morons and no shock either that people don't give a fuck as a consequence.
  • Options
    Young people might not be intersted in politics because they haven't experienced it yet...
    It's more worrying how many older people are not interested!!
  • Options
    I would actually take a more positive outlook on the situation with regard to young people and people in general not being interested in politics.

Everyone is assuming that it is 'good' to be involved in politics and 'bad' to not be but there is no grounds for this.

People aren't as interested in politics because things are generally OK. The parties differ on very little because the answers are quite obvious for a large number of important issues, especially with regards to the economy.

If there was a big recession then I would guarantee that the numbers voting etc would see a very large upswing.

When things are going quite well and there is little difference in the economic policy of the parties then there is little reason for large numbers of people to vote.
  • Options
    I think it is fair to say that for whichever reasons it might be, young people in this country are far less interested in politics, and especially in activism, than their counterparts in the Continent.

I think that's a shame.
  • Options
    So many people, not just teenagers just don't care about politics, which I believe is a real shame. I find it depressing that the US voting turn out is so low very presidental election. I don't think I would even want to know how low it is for local elections. I guess people have the right not to vote but I wish they would.
  • Options
    Why the fuck would you vote? It only encourages the thieving corrupt backstabbing cunts.
  • Options
    Encourage more involvement in the key issues that young people are actually interested in and feel strongly about and then maybe just maybe young people would be less apathetic about the larger scale stuff.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Why the fuck would you vote? It only encourages the thieving corrupt backstabbing cunts.
    Yeah, I'd rather not give my consent for someone to, from the point they win the election, to then be able to do whatever the fuck they want, despite what the rest of the nation may think. Maybe if people felt that when the majority of the country doesn't believe that going to war in Iraq (for example) is the best course of action, the politicians actually took that into consideration, then they'd be more interested in it.
  • Options
    Reading this thread again, I can't help but remember an article that Renzo wrote for TheSite just before the 2005 General Election, lecturing us on why we should elect the money-grabbing bastards that wanted our votes at the time. Not that anything's changed since. Click here for a reminder.

It's a damn shame that we can't add our comments and opinions to the end of articles such as that. At the time, I wasn't going to vote for any party. We were told "So please, I urge you to vote on May 5. If you don't, then maybe you would rather not be living in a democracy at all". Rest assured I was none too pleased to read such blackmail. Am I going to vote for Tony Blair? Well, I can't, as he's not standing again. Or so he says. We don't know. Nobody trusts him, nobody knows whether he actually means this promise. He didn't mean any of the others in the last nine years.

Which shows clearly one reason why young people don't vote. You can't trust any of them. The people you could trust don't stand for Parliament.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The people you could trust don't stand for Parliament.

Why should they? You won't vote anyway so the usual arseholes will get in.

Young people are interested in politics. This forum proves that. They aren't as interested in this as they are other things... but then if you look at my generation, you could have said the same about us, ditto my parents generation...
  • Options
    Just to let you know we did some vox pops on this at the house of commons... here's the link:

clicky
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Reading this thread again, I can't help but remember an article that Renzo wrote for TheSite just before the 2005 General Election, lecturing us on why we should elect the money-grabbing bastards that wanted our votes at the time. Not that anything's changed since. Click here for a reminder.

It's a damn shame that we can't add our comments and opinions to the end of articles such as that. At the time, I wasn't going to vote for any party. We were told "So please, I urge you to vote on May 5. If you don't, then maybe you would rather not be living in a democracy at all". Rest assured I was none too pleased to read such blackmail. Am I going to vote for Tony Blair? Well, I can't, as he's not standing again. Or so he says. We don't know. Nobody trusts him, nobody knows whether he actually means this promise. He didn't mean any of the others in the last nine years.

Which shows clearly one reason why young people don't vote. You can't trust any of them. The people you could trust don't stand for Parliament.

OH GOD WHY DID I USE THAT PHOTO!

Im interested in politics, im studying a degree in it. But nowadays the main political parties are all the same and do nothing for me....how things change in a year. It was the booting out of Kennedy what done it. New Labour were voted in and they were just the same as the Tories. Ive been reading a lot of books and documentaries recently and they are just the same...the 1980's killed off any major changes among the main parties and i beleive the election of 'Dave' Cameron as tory leader and Blair Mark II has just closed the gap between the main parties.

For people to have any vaguely REAL say in the government this country needs a system of PR. However this wont happen...why would a government scrap and undemocractic first past the post voting system which means the government rests on a few marginals when its beniffited them.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Im interested in politics, im studying a degree in it. But nowadays the main political parties are all the same and do nothing for me....how things change in a year. It was the booting out of Kennedy what done it.
    I'm always sceptical of opinion polls, (that more often just tell people what to think rather than ask them) but I'm told that the popularity of the LibDems has fallen by 6% since Charles Kennedy left office. It's easy to see why - the replacement leader is a man so incredibly quiet that Iain-Duncan Smith would be proud of him. Ming, here's some advice. Try and say something different to the other two clones. Let's hear about your tax-raising plans, your faith in the NHS - not all messages I necessarily agree with, but messages that sure as hell need to be said to provide some variety in this current very dull landscape.
    New Labour were voted in and they were just the same as the Tories. Ive been reading a lot of books and documentaries recently and they are just the same...the 1980's killed off any major changes among the main parties and i beleive the election of 'Dave' Cameron as tory leader and Blair Mark II has just closed the gap between the main parties.
    And you needed to read a book to come to that conclusion? :p Let's consider this. Margaret Thatcher is a leader whom, 16 years after leaving office, is still talked of on these boards. Some adore her, others here despise here. Every leader who has come along since has been desperate to try and be the next Thatcher, to be that next leader who is talked about for years to come. John Major was probably the most useless Tory PM ever seen, and Tony Blair has been a pathetic clone of Thatcher. Take the bad bits from all the major parties and what you get is New Labour.

I think the Cold War may have something to do with this. Yes, that may have finished 16 years ago - the same time Thatcher left office. Does that indicate anything to our politicians? And no, "Call Me" Dave Cameron, that doesn't mean you've got to be the same as our current lying scumbag of a Prime Minister.
    For people to have any vaguely REAL say in the government this country needs a system of PR. However this wont happen...why would a government scrap and undemocractic first past the post voting system which means the government rests on a few marginals when its beniffited them.
    The LibDems used to be absolutely fanatical in their support of this, but have gone quiet recently. Aside from having an utterly silent leader, what other reason do they have?