Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

New employment legislation...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone have any idea what proof of eligibility to work in the UK is now accepted (if any), other than passports, birth certificates and P45 documents in order to comply with this new legislation?

It seems an NI number is no longer sufficient :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Why do you ask? I would assume an NI number and adequate references etc would be good enough, but in this age of identity theft and fraud....
  • Options
    I have lost my passport and birth certificate - and was asked for either, in addition to an NI number, as proof of eligibility (this is now a necessity apparently for all employers). Supposedly NI cards are being faked, although I imagine it's far easier to fake a birth certificate.

Basically they're just creating unneccessary red tape so ID cards can be presented as the solution.
  • Options
    Oh yeah Ive had to give over my passport at interviews.

Why dont you just apply for a new passport? Or would they accept a driving license?
  • Options
    eek. what would you do if you don't hold a driver's license or a passport... skin prick tests that instantly analyse your DNA?