Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

A rise in English nationalism?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Renzo wrote:
    God Save The Queen
    By The Sex Pistols.
    Sad thing is, I can just see David Cameron going for that...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Sad thing is, I can just see David Cameron going for that...

He probably prefers The Eton Rifles by The Jam.
  • Options
    Always look on the bright side of life?
  • Options
    I Predict a Riot?
  • Options
    Coffee And TV sounds apt.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    you might find that the union flag is your national flag luke
    St Georges flag means more but I am equally proud of both - that's from an English person.

Ask a Scot or Welsh the same question. Most are more nationalistic but they are not penalised for it.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    PS Could the English get their own anthem as well. God Save the Queen is the British national anthem.
    England should be given it's own unique song, just like the other nations in the UK.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Neither should it be based on a song that originally went on about crushing the Scots!
    Isn't it a shame for the poor Scottish people.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Problem is, what do you replace it with? What song reflects the Britain of today?
    Brake up of the Union? lol
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    St Georges flag means more but I am equally proud of both - that's from an English person. Ask a Scot or Welsh the same question. Most are more nationalistic but they are not penalised for it.
    Wales is not represented on the Union Jack. I don't feel any kind of association with it. I think the demise of the UK would be a very sad thing, but if the Union Jack disappeared, I wouldn't shed any tears.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Wales is not represented on the Union Jack. I don't feel any kind of association with it. I think the demise of the UK would be a very sad thing, but if the Union Jack disappeared, I wouldn't shed any tears.
    I wouldn't quite frankly but then again we have so much history behinde us, we have been to war together etc we should treasure it. There's nothing more like it in the world.
  • Options
    Just to point out Luke that you should make sure you are using the proper term. A patriot and a nationalist are two rather different things: there is nothing wrong with the former, even if some people see no point in it- but there is a lot wrong with the latter.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Just to point out Luke that you should make sure you are using the proper term. A patriot and a nationalist are two rather different things: there is nothing wrong with the former, even if some people see no point in it- but there is a lot wrong with the latter.
    Being nationalistic? But in my politics book, nationalism is the term used.
  • Options
    I'm a nationalist and I don't see nothing wrong with it. Though the context is different.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I'm a nationalist and I don't see nothing wrong with it. Though the context is different.

Fight those dirty foreigners!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Oh no. First, Aladdin comes in dictating what words we can use on threads about abortions, now he extends such pointless pedantry to a debate about English nationalism... :p

I don't think there's anything wrong with loving your country, its background and its culture. It's when racism gets involved that things turn ugly.
  • Options
    The world is changing fast, its a big, scary and confusing place. Global politics and economics are complex and hard to get a grip on. Populations are becoming more mobile, transient and mixed up. Old ways of life are changing faster than ever before. Given all that, its not surprising that some people cling on to old notions of national identity and culture. I was gonna write more, but I can't be arsed, I'm tired and its hot.

I have to say though that the proliferation of flags is also largely down to marketing - people are making big bucks out of selling tacky England souvenirs to football fans.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I have to say though that the proliferation of flags is also largely down to marketing - people are making big bucks out of selling tacky England souvenirs to football fans.
    Precisely. For example, whilst at the shop last week, I noticed that Mars have started a new campaign. Their bars are currently called "Believe". I wasn't sure what it was about at first, until I opened one of the weekend newspapers, and saw the St. George's flag emblazoned among the Mars logo. It's merely a corporation using the football tournament and the English flag to sell more sweets. I doubt this is the only example of the marketing ongoing right now.
  • Options
    I was wondering about the mars bars *rolls eyes*
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    luke88 wrote:
    Being nationalistic? But in my politics book, nationalism is the term used.

Is the Red one? I have that one, it sucks.

One guy in it is born in the 20th century, and died in the 19th. I am guessing ONE of the dates is a typo. :rolleyes:

And if you don't know the difference... you have problems! They are two differnt things.

Either way. Once again, all the flags will go home once the footy finishes. They aren't real Patriots, half of them - they're just footy fans. Stop trying to pummel some political agenda onto them.

Sure, many probably are patriotic. But most are probably just supporting the team.

And as for the National Anthem - Let's just make it Rule Britania. It is far better.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    One guy in it is born in the 20th century, and died in the 19th. I am guessing ONE of the dates is a typo. :rolleyes:
    Either that or he lives in a different time frame to the rest of us, one where it's 1806 now, not 2006...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Either that or he lives in a different time frame to the rest of us, one where it's 1806 now, not 2006...

Nah, I figured it one lesson...

He was actually the invetor of the time machine. But the silly sod went back and died in the past... because one he had gone back, the machine was still in the 20th century! So, as such, in the 19th it didn't exist, so he was stuck there until he died.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Either way. Once again, all the flags will go home once the footy finishes. They aren't real Patriots, half of them - they're just footy fans. Stop trying to pummel some political agenda onto them.
    Exactly, I'd carry an England flag like I'd carry a Man City flag. It's just the football team I support.
  • Options
    The way I understand the aformentioned terms is as follows: patriotism refers simply to being proud of one nation's and defending and promoting its virtues. Nationalism however refer to those who also adhere to the 'my country right or wrong' mantra- and who will even be prepared to do wrong on others in order to further the interests of their nation.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    and who will even be prepared to do wrong on others in order to further the interests of their nation.
    So politicians in general then? :p
  • Options
    I predict most of the flags will vanish when our lazy second half ignoring team get hammered by Trinidad - I mean seriously, do they only train for 45 minutes, and what's with giving them two days off? Because they did soooo well?
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    I predict most of the flags will vanish when our lazy second half ignoring team get hammered by Trinidad - I mean seriously, do they only train for 45 minutes, and what's with giving them two days off? Because they did soooo well?
    They've got to do their hair for God's sake!
  • Options
    No one has not commented on the article. This thread wasn't just about the football you know.

So doesn't anyone think that one being English is becoming more popular?
  • Options
    Yes being English is becoming slightly more popular...but only slightly and not to the extent that it appears to be now what with all the flags, that is purely because of the world cup. However, ignoring the world cup, people are starting to become more patriotic and proud of their country.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    No one has not commented on the article. This thread wasn't just about the football you know.

So doesn't anyone think that one being English is becoming more popular?

the thread wasnt about the football primarily, but i dont know how many times you have to have it pointed out to you, that many of these flags that are about, are simply because of the football, there might be more than there was at the last world cup, but if football ceased to exist, then you would hardly ever see a similar number of flags about

and becoming english more popular, you are either english or you are not