Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

England Vs. Paraguay

JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Well. I'm glad thats over. More dodgy subs by Sven, we really seemed to lose the plot when Owen went off, and we weren't that brilliant overall. Lucky we got an own goal.

Must try harder!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Should of brought Lennon or Walcott on for Owne
  • Options
    The tactics were pretty bad. Once Owen was gone everything really went pear shape. Crouch is left completely alone up front and England lose its bite.

There's a lot of room for improvement.
  • Options
    I think the only good thing England can take out of that performance is their defence. I also think that it wasn't so much that England were good in the first half, just Paraguay were absolutely shocking.

Against a better team England would have been hammered.
  • Options
    Aww, I'm not being funny, but why has Sven even bothered to take Crouch? I think he was shocking today. He's got got the speed, he was never there when he was needed - not that he would have been able to help anyway. I would have preferred to see Walcott on the pitch instead. Or ideally, Sven should have taken Wright-Phillips.

Crouch joins David James on my Most Rubbish England Players list.

And taking off Owen and replacing him with a midfielder? Crazy tactics.
  • Options
    Aww, I'm not being funny, but why has Sven even bothered to take Crouch? I think he was shocking today. He's got got the speed, he was never there when he was needed - not that he would have been able to help anyway. I would have preferred to see Walcott on the pitch instead. Or ideally, Sven should have taken Wright-Phillips.

Crouch joins David James on my Most Rubbish England Players list.

And taking off Owen and replacing him with a midfielder? Crazy tactics.

Well he did score 4 goals in the last two games before this one.

It was a dull game and i didnt understand the tactics. I dont get why Owen Hargreaves was allowed on. The whole bar groaned when he came on.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Well he did score 4 goals in the last two games before this one.

So what? One good game doesn't mean he's an all-round good player. Look at John Terry and Frank Lampard - both players give 100% every game. They deserve their place in the squad. Peter Crouch doesn't deserve his place after one reasonably good game.

By the way, didn't he score a hattrick and miss a penalty?!
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    I dont get why Owen Hargreaves was allowed on.
    Yeah, what was that all about? I've never been impressed by Hargreaves yet he's always coming on as a sub.
  • Options
    If they play like that against teams as good as them or better than them i.e Brazil, Argies, Portugal, France, Italy, Spain, Ukraine or Holland then they'll get royally fucked over.

Still think they should have played a "watercarrier" i.e Carrick alongisde either Lampard/Gerrard, but Sven doesn't seem to have to bottle to drop either them.

I said beforehand that they weren't good enough to win the thing (with or without Sven in charge), and I've seen nothing to change my mind.
  • Options
    So what? One good game doesn't mean he's an all-round good player. Look at John Terry and Frank Lampard - both players give 100% every game. They deserve their place in the squad. Peter Crouch doesn't deserve his place after one reasonably good game.

By the way, didn't he score a hattrick and miss a penalty?!

Crouch wasnt going to do well up front on his own. Yes, they put the ball at this head but there was noone else up there to work with him. Yes, yes he did.
  • Options
    Good to see this game has brought Engurlund back down to earth.
  • Options
    If Trinidad & Tobago play the way they just did against Sweden, they're gonna give England a game. I could see an upset on the cards...
  • Options
    What struck me is that he had tried the 5 man midfield in friendlies and Gerrard had been the forward man. When he plays it at the World Cup, he pushes Cole forward and we play like shit. Then he takes Cole off and claims afterwards that this improved play - yeah, because Gerrard could play in his better position.

Basically it was a poor performance from the start. We seemed lethargic and without idea. The only saving grace is that we always start badly, so I'd like to think that things will get better...
  • Options
    If Trinidad & Tobago play the way they just did against Sweden, they're gonna give England a game. I could see an upset on the cards...

They got lucky today, some poor finishing and a great Hislop display.
  • Options
    They got lucky today, some poor finishing and a great Hislop display.

But if England play like they did today you can't write them off.
  • Options

Can't see it, really.

Mind you, If they put Kelvin Jack back in goals - double figures. Lucky he got injured in the warm-up, I fail to see how he gets picked ahead of Hislop. They guy couldn't catch a cold.

Trinidad did well, but Sweden were gash. England really should be ashamed of themselves if they don't top the group now.

Argies v Ivory Cost next :yum: *cracks open another Bud*
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    England really should be ashamed of themselves if they don't top the group now.
    We need to be top to avoid Germany. Hopefully Sweden will give us a match though cos we need to be thoroughly tested before the knockout stages.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Can't see it, really.

Mind you, If they put Kelvin Jack back in goals - double figures. Lucky he got injured in the warm-up, I fail to see how he gets picked ahead of Hislop. They guy couldn't catch a cold.

Trinidad did well, but Sweden were gash. England really should be ashamed of themselves if they don't top the group now.

Argies v Ivory Cost next :yum: *cracks open another Bud*

You never know mate, they've got fuck all to lose. And I cannae agree more about Kelvin Jack...the fucking Dundee keeper over Hislop?! It's shocking.
  • Options
    maybe crouch has a special new world cup dance ready for if/when he scores. :D
  • Options
    maybe crouch has a special new world cup dance ready for if/when he scores. :D

It would be funny as fuck seeing him do The Worm.
  • Options
    The people slating Crouch, why didn't you say anything before the World Cup started.
    I think Crouch was very nervous but it will get better.
    Owen had no service.

Lampard was awarded man of the match by FIFA, how the fuck did that happen, he wasn't in the game.
    Gerrard was wasted in his defensive roll and was lucky not to be injured.
    Terry has done well.
    Cole was rubbish and has done 1 good thing the whole game.

Ashley Cole was all over the place.
    Neville was solid.
    Beckham was Englands best player today however no one seemed to follow him.

Why did Downing come in the game?
    If he wanted to change things, Sven should have taken Owen off and put Carrick in as a defensive midfielder and push Gerrard upfront.
    Hargreaves was , well, hargreaves.

I swear Sven is doing all this on purpose!! The twat!
    And how come no one mentioned the referee??
    He was awful. He was partly responsible for englands way of playing.

What I saw today was that some England players have no balls and that Sven is thinking about a holiday and not football.

T&T might be lucky, but they had heart.
    However they will not cause England problems, our defense is too good.

Sweden will cause us problems esp Ibrahimovic, but again Terry will be there. If we beat T&T, I would put Carragher in as a defensive midfielder.

Argentina looked good in attack today but are fragile defensively.
    Cote d'Ivoire are fast but undisciplined. Not much of a shape to their play.

By the way, no wonder England never do well when everytime they play bad the supporters lose all faith!!
    England have never beaten Sweden in top competition, they will on Thursday.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    migpilot wrote:
    Why did Downing come in the game?
    If he wanted to change things, Sven should have taken Owen off and put Carrick in as a defensive midfielder and push Gerrard upfront.
    Hargreaves was , well, hargreaves.

I swear Sven is doing all this on purpose!! The twat!
    And how come no one mentioned the referee??
    He was awful. He was partly responsible for englands way of playing.

I was suprised to see Downing come on but I think he actually did well, was one of the few who seemed interested in running forward with the ball.

Less said about the ref the better, the bloke was appauling.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    England have never beaten Sweden in top competition, they will on Thursday.

Tuesday the 20th...
  • Options
    England were unimpressive to say the least.

Gerrard was good first half, but faded second. The team totally lacked creativity - it's very obvious how much the team misses Rooney. Sven made shite subs as usual. The only saving grace is that the defence were very solid. Teams are going to find it hard to make chances. Need to sort out up front though.
  • Options
    so nobody saw the two lampard stupidly fast and slightly accurate shots towards goal then?
  • Options
    England have a history of uninspiring results in their first game of the World Cup.

1966 - England 0-0 Uraguay
    1986 - Portugal 1-0 England
    1990 - England 1-1 Rep of Ireland

These were soon forgotten as the tournament progressed. The good thing about yesterdays result is that we didn't play well (in the 2nd half mostly) but still won. We have 3 points in the board and thats all that matters.
  • Options
    1966 - England 0-0 Uraguay
    1986 - Portugal 1-0 England
    1990 - England 1-1 Rep of Ireland

1996 - England 1-1 Switzerland
    2000 - England 2-3 Portugal
    2002 - England 1-1 Sweden
    2004 - Engalnd 1-2 France
  • Options
    Aww, I'm not being funny, but why has Sven even bothered to take Crouch? I think he was shocking today. He's got got the speed, he was never there when he was needed - not that he would have been able to help anyway.
    Bullshit. For a start, speed is the one thing that Crouch doesn't have. He showed some good touches and provided a decent platform to attack from for England. If it wasn't for some dodgy refereeing, he would've been far more effective. It's up to him to win the balls and lay them off for people, it's not his fault if midfielders aren't running on to the chances he creates. It's not suprising that he looked isolated when Owen was taken off. Even though Owen did nothing all match, he was still a potential threat. With him off the pitch, Paraguay could concentrate just on keeping Crouch quiet. They needed someone with pace like Lennon on the pitch to run onto knockdowns if they were going to play Crouch on his own up front.

I think the main improvement would be for Ashley Cole to get forward a lot more in the next match. Joe Cole looked dangerous in places, and with AC making runs outside of him, he'll allow JC more space to work his magic, or use AC to get some crosses into the box. I think that Beckham seemed to go missing quite a bit as well. It would be nice to see us using the wings a bit more and stretching the opposition to give the centre mids (i.e. our best players) more space to work in. I also like the fact that we've suddenly become one of the most dangerous teams from set pieces. Sam Allardyce would be proud.
  • Options
    People, its England's first match of tournament, give them a brake, you know what England are like in their first match, and anyway we got the 3 points and were top of the group. Besides, most of the other top seed'd teams have performed pretty poor/average so far aswell. Lets just see how they do in their next match.
  • Options
    I really do think if England were drawn in the Argies group they'd struggle to make the next round.

As it is, the standard in the group they are in is shockingly bad. All but qualified IMO, real stuff will start in the next round.
  • Options
    The England 'fans' who booed Hargreaves are a disgrace. When someone wears the shirt of your country they should be supported and respected. Disgusting.