Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Blair 'planning State Funeral' for Thatcher

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote:
    LOL!

Sublime spin there Disillusioned. On a par with suggesting giving the electric chair to convicts helped improve their appearance by making them look tanner.

Bra-vo! :D
    excellent reply.
    :thumb:
  • Options
    "
    Why would the left like two great leaders that reduced the reliance of the poor and the vulnerable on the state? .
    :eek2:
    thats a joke right?
    do you know anything about homelesness in america?
    do you have any idea how many hard working families ended up having to live off meagre benefits in the uk?
  • Options
    The working class disagree with you....
    Do they? None of the working class I know voted thatcher.
    They all voted Kinnock.
  • Options
    The working class disagree with you...Thatcher won three successive elections - she wouldn't have done that without the support of some sections of the working class .
    and she had these huge majorities as well ... :cool:
  • Options
    The far-left like Blag don't even recognise the merits of the right-to-buy scheme..

Acually if you care to look at my posts where I have discussed this, I have said that it was a good opportunity for working class people at the time to be able to buy their property. The only problem is, without bulding anymore social housing and by abolishing things like the fair rent act, the homelessness situation is now at crisis point, especially in London.

I'll thank you not to misrepresent me in the future. Ta. :)
  • Options
    Considering Dis never lived through the Reagan years nor had to watch as decent middle income families were incrementally driven into impoverishment by the bogus "trickle down" economic enrichment of precious few elites at the nation's expense (not to mention the massive debt surpassed only by the presently presiding Reagan-era minions), he is merely spouting the text book fantasies of mythmakers.

Not surprising he should believe all critiques to be as shallow a matter as "left-wing" discontent. Anne Coulter would be proud of his simplistic drivel though, without doubt.
  • Options
    Thatcher won her elections by ensuring the disenfranchisement of huge swathes of the working class through her institution of the poll tax, dear boy. Those that are robbed of their vote can be ignored in "official" claims of the popular will.
  • Options
    Thatcher won her elections by ensuring the disenfranchisement of huge swathes of the working class through her institution of the poll tax, dear boy. Those that are robbed of their vote can be ignored in "official" claims of the popular will.

:confused: Thatcher won general elections in 1979, 1983 and 1987. The Community Charge proposal was in the 1987 manifesto and introduced in 1988 - and the new tax started '89/'90 in Scotland and '90/'91 in England...What are you talking about? A conspiracy theory? Was it all a Zionist plot Clan? :rolleyes: And er the community charge didn't disenfranchise the working class Clan. You really are bizarre.
  • Options
    record house reposessions ...
    yeahof course hard working familes remember her fondly.
  • Options
    :confused: Thatcher won general elections in 1979, 1983 and 1987. The Community Charge proposal was in the 1987 manifesto and introduced in 1988 - and the new tax started '89/'90 in Scotland and '90/'91 in England...What are you talking about? A conspiracy theory? Was it all a Zionist plot Clan? :rolleyes:
    to save money ...many people denied living in places ...meaning they got no vote.
    yes it was engineered that way.
  • Options
    You really need to educate yourself out of this intellectually-vapid "conspiracy theory" soundbite Dis. Calculated disenfranchisement was a quite documented reality and indeed by definition a conspiracy against the voting public of the UK to secure a third electoral victory.
    Lady Thatcher herself has been quoted by the Sunday Telegraph as saying that the poll tax won the election for the Conservative party. She believes that it prevented many Labour supporters from registering on the electoral roll (in the hope of avoiding payment) thus depriving Mr Kinnock of a large number of votes. She put the figure at about one million.(Sunday Telegraph April 12th 1992).

http://www.charter88.org.uk/publications/violations/hodgson.html
  • Options
    to save money ...many people denied living in places ...meaning they got no vote.
    yes it was engineered that way.
    and not to mention the HUGE amount of public protests and marches and riots nationwide to protest against the poll tax.
  • Options
    Those that are robbed of their vote can be ignored in "official" claims of the popular will.

There wasn't a single person "robbed of their vote" because of the Poll Tax, Clan.

Personally I think that it's sad that party politics gets in the way of something like this. Thatcher was the longest serving PM in the 20th Century and she was the first female PM. At a time, most notably, when equality was still in it's infancy.

If a country cannot mark that kind of achievement, to the highest office available to the "common man", then what does that make us.

I couldn't stand her policies, they were divisive and certainly not helpful to the working classes. That doesn't mean that I cannot admire her achievements and IMHO it's churlish not to.
  • Options
    Sorry. It's just well I don't really care what Spain does to its former leaders. Living hear local affairs directly affect you, hence I see why you take an interest. I just can't really see the concern of whether Thatcher gets a state funeral or not. I mean how Britain honours its former PM's it's not really a big deal.
    Well I'm commenting on both the stupidity and the breach of protocol. I don't think you need to be a British citizen for that.

Arafat was a terrorist. I didn't really care that greatly about the Palestinians hagiographical marking of his death though.
    And Reagan was a murderer and a state terrorist who financed the nastiest possible kind of lunatics, fascists and butchers across the globe. I don't have much time myself for comments suggesting he actually was a good man or a good president.

Everyone has their right to express an opinion but it is regardless disrespectful and pretty sick to celebrate Thatcher's death. Politically I detest the likes of Tony Benn, etc but I wouldn't celebrate their death. Callaghan wrecked Britain but I didn't see his death as something to celebrate. The whole idea of celebrating the misfortunes or whatever of people you dislike is just plainly distasteful.
    Fair enough.
  • Options
    The working class disagree with you...Thatcher won three successive elections - she wouldn't have done that without the support of some sections of the working class. The far-left like Blag don't even recognise the merits of the right-to-buy scheme...Labour was forced to drop its opposition to right-to-buy because it was losing so many votes. Thatcher won the battle of ideas, Labour only got back in by convincing the British people it would not reverse Thatcher's improvements/reforms.
    Why don't you ask the working classes now what they think of her Premiership, after the full effects became clear?

From the attempted murder of the welfare state and of every single public service to embracing an indescribably nasty culture of greed and 'fuck everyone but myself' to the destruction of workers' rights and entire industries to her alliances with fascists, racists, murderers, butchers and Apartheid sympathisers to the legacy of bigger gap between rich and poor and twice as many children under the poverty line, there is not much to celebrate at all by the working classes- or most other people for that matter.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    LOL!

Sublime spin there Disillusioned. On a par with suggesting giving the electric chair to convicts helped improve their appearance by making them look tanner.

Bra-vo! :D

Post of the WEEK if it didn't make no sense out of context. Dang it.
  • Options
    There wasn't a single person "robbed of their vote" because of the Poll Tax, Clan.

Looking through rose coloured glasses again are we, MoK? Apparently you fail to appreciate that a policy written specifically to ensure that many amongst the poor working class with larger families would be persuaded to avoid declaration of residence and thus relinquish their right to vote IS by any rational definition "calculated disenfranchisement" and an affront to any true democratic principle of a free society.

Arguing that they did it to themselves is precisely the snide and intended PR by which Thatcher washed her hands of her deliberate culpability. Fortunately it was ultimately her undoing.

I still remember the champagne corks popping in the Conservative MEPs offices (save one particular loathsome Tory MEP at the time) when her political demise was announced.

I refer you once again to the Sunday Telegraph quote of the Iron Lady herself posted previously, should any doubt yet persist in that contrarian mind of yours.
  • Options
    Looking through rose coloured glasses again are we, MoK? Apparently you fail to appreciate that a policy written specifically to ensure that many amongst the poor working class with larger families would be persuaded to avoid declaration of residence and thus relinquish their right to vote IS by any rational definition "calculated disenfranchisement" and an affront to any true democratic principle of a free society.

This was partly because they were encouraged to do so, by the opponents of the tax who foolishly thought that it was a method of avoidance, or that it would make a point.

It's isn't Thatcher that you should blame, but the wankers on the otherside.

It's partly why it has been referred to as the poll tax because people thought that the Electoral Roll was used to determine who was eligible. So wrong.
    I refer you once again to the Sunday Telegraph quote of the Iron Lady herself posted previously, should any doubt yet persist in that contrarian mind of yours.

I do wonder if you have read it yourself.
  • Options
    She deserves this. Thank you Blair.

Thatcher has made us the 4th richest nation in the world, we are no longer the sick amn in Europe. She understood how the world would shape up and she created an economy which is fit for purpose.
    I think she is one if not the best prime minister we have ever had.

Bless you lady Thatcher.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Why don't you ask the working classes now what they think of her Premiership, after the full effects became clear?
    I'm very working class, on the poverty line. Those who sit there and moan are the ones that failed under Thatcher, get on with the system and you'll succeed as the system is made for this.

Her premiership was one that helped to shpae this country so that all members of society could progress, not just the upper class elite.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

From the attempted murder of the welfare state and of every single public service to embracing an indescribably nasty culture of greed and 'fuck everyone but myself' to the destruction of workers' rights and entire industries to her alliances with fascists, racists, murderers, butchers and Apartheid sympathisers to the legacy of bigger gap between rich and poor and twice as many children under the poverty line, there is not much to celebrate at all by the working classes- or most other people for that matter.
    No...
    Murder of the welfare state? lol! She believed in a welfare state but for those who genuinally need it or as a safety net for those who need help for a while. Not for those who wish to sit on their arse for the rest of their lives.
    While I was at primary school (during the Conservatives years), the education I received then was just like it is now really, prehaps worse these days due to their being no dicipline as bullies and such have so many rights.

The gap between richer and poorer is larger now than it was ever under Thatcher.
    She decreased the unions control and what did Blair do.... keep it the way thatcher had it.

OK my family has always been working class. My dad was self employed and only earned very little a week. We didn't go on holiday. We only afforded the rent for the council shitty house and food, maybe clothes as well. But they voted Conservative every single time. Also the working class have benefited from Thatcher and obviously like her policies as they wouldn't use them such as the right to buy policy. Many council houses around area have been bought. Now working class people can achieve something and own somethihng them selves instead of people who live miles away telling you what you can and can't have in your house. Plus when you purchase a home, it is truely yours.
  • Options
    The working class disagree with you...Thatcher won three successive elections - she wouldn't have done that without the support of some sections of the working class. The far-left like Blag don't even recognise the merits of the right-to-buy scheme...Labour was forced to drop its opposition to right-to-buy because it was losing so many votes. Thatcher won the battle of ideas, Labour only got back in by convincing the British people it would not reverse Thatcher's improvements/reforms.
    The funny thing is, the far left don't even represent working class in my opinion, they are in a world of their own, they really are.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

It varies. I don't think there's any universal hatred for Thatcher across the working class, in certain communities there is of course; she's never going to win any popularity contests in a former mining town. Overall amongst the working class I think it's pretty mixed though. Tbh some of Thatcher's biggest critics seem to be people who were very young while she was PM/people who can't remember it. Among the skilled working class esp I don't think she's as hated as people like to make out. I know both of my grandfathers were strong union people all their lives but supported Thatcher. And if you believe the Sun reflects (rather than dictates) mass opinion it was very firmly behind Thatcher...(The Sun as in 1992 claims it determined the election outcome but it seems rather as noted by its support of Labour from 1997 it more just reflects public opinion). The Sun I believe since the 80s as had the most C1/ C2/D readers.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:

Why would anyone believe that the Sun reflects mass opinion? It reflects the opinion of its owners, currently Rupert Murdoch, and tries to dictate public opinion according to its own agenda.
    Just like any other newspaper.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Many council houses around area have been bought. Now working class people can achieve something and own somethihng them selves instead of people who live miles away telling you what you can and can't have in your house. Plus when you purchase a home, it is truely yours.
    Yeah but noone can anymore because there are no bloody council houses left for people to even rent now, let alone buy. Its all very well selling them off, but she also made it so they couldnt build more.
  • Options
    Thatcher's biggest critics seem to be people who were very young while she was PM/people who can't remember it

What's your excuse then? You clearly were not even born for the bulk of her reign and a mere babe at best at the time of her rightful downfall. At least those who lived through it have experiential backing for their critiques, rather than mere hand me down claims.
  • Options
    Tbh some of Thatcher's biggest critics seem to be people who were very young while she was PM/people who can't remember it.
    Well I remember it. I went on poll tax demonstrations, including the big one in London with the riots :shocking:
  • Options
    Yeah but noone can anymore because there are no bloody council houses left for people to even rent now, let alone buy. Its all very well selling them off, but she also made it so they couldnt build more.
    hello? Stoke calling... plenty of empty council houses here. They're are 3 in my street, mind you they do have broken windows.

If don't don't fancy buying a council house, look into the private sector.