Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bush: when everything else fails, get gay-bashing

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kentish wrote:
    What is a "LGBT community"? :confused:

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    What is a "LGBT community"? :confused:

Lithuanian gay bashing tramps?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Ta.

What makes them a united community? :confused:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

Not being straight I assume. It's a sign of comradeship or something.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Ta.

Nothing.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Nothing.
    I thought as much.
  • Options
    Opponents to civil unions between same sex couples have actually gained much strength from those in favour of it. By liberals, gay rights advocates, etc campaigning for gay 'marriage' they have instantly provoked people holding certain religious views.

For many to extend the definition of marriage to include two people of the same sex is effectively demeaning and undermining the institution of marriage. By definition, many believe marriage is between a man and a woman.

Through American gay groups campaigning for gay 'marriage' reactionaries have succeeded in spreading the misconception among the naive that these elitist East Coast liberals wish to force the prospect of two grooms and gay 'marriage' on Churches across America. If all along civil partnerships had been campaigned for - underlying the fact that the arrangement is unconnected to any notion of marriage and poses no danger to deeply held religious perceptions of marriage the Republicans would not have gained so much support from this one issue.

Of course many people oppose civil partnerships and any move towards giving a gay couple the same rights as a married couple. However, a lot of people – especially in America would be a whole let hostile to gay 'marriage' if it was not described as such. I support civil partnerships assuming religious institutions are not forced to recognise something they do not agree with. Although, I do not think it is helpful to label opponents to gay marriage/civil partnerships as gay bashers. I'm not a Christian although I do believe the cliche some Christians espouse to 'love the sinner, hate the sin' is true for many Christians.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I get why the first three are together, but what has being transgendered got to do with the others?
  • Options
    Opponents to civil unions between same sex couples have actually gained much strength from those in favour of it. By liberals, gay rights advocates, etc campaigning for gay 'marriage' they have instantly provoked people holding certain religious views.

For many to extend the definition of marriage to include two people of the same sex is effectively demeaning and undermining the institution of marriage. By definition, many believe marriage is between a man and a woman.

Through American gay groups campaigning for gay 'marriage' reactionaries have succeeded in spreading the misconception among the naive that these elitist East Coast liberals wish to force the prospect of two grooms and gay 'marriage' on Churches across America. If all along civil partnerships had been campaigned for - underlying the fact that the arrangement is unconnected to any notion of marriage and poses no danger to deeply held religious perceptions of marriage the Republicans would not have gained so much support from this one issue.

Of course many people oppose civil partnerships and any move towards giving a gay couple the same rights as a married couple. However, a lot of people – especially in America would be a whole let hostile to gay 'marriage' if it was not described as such. I support civil partnerships assuming religious institutions are not forced to recognise something they do not agree with. Although, I do not think it is helpful to label opponents to gay marriage/civil partnerships as gay bashers. I'm not a Christian although I do believe the cliche some Christians espouse to 'love the sinner, hate the sin' is true for many Christians.
    Don't you find it rather repulsive though that as Dubya's popularity dips lower than that of Osama bin Laden and as scandal after scandal rocks his piss-poor presidency he should choose to start going on about this issue in such blatant manner?

The only reason he's doing this now is to boost his popularity and regain the confident to the people who actually put him in power at the last election: the hard Christian Right.

Given that this has just about zero chance of progressing any further, it is a disgusting hypocritical move by the spineless chimp.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Don't you find it rather repulsive though that as Dubya's popularity dips lower than that of Osama bin Laden and as scandal after scandal rocks his piss-poor presidency he should choose to start going on about this issue in such blatant manner?

:lol: I'm not particularly repulsed, more unsurprised...this is politics and it's hardly a tactic mastered by Bush.
    Aladdin wrote:
    The only reason he's doing this now is to boost his popularity and regain the confident to the people who actually put him in power at the last election: the hard Christian Right.

This government do the same thing. The fox hunting ban had nothing to do with animal welfare but was entirely about satisfying the Labour grassroots.
  • Options
    :lol: I'm not particularly repulsed, more unsurprised...this is politics and it's hardly a tactic mastered by Bush.
    So that makes it alright then.

This government do the same thing. The fox hunting ban had nothing to do with animal welfare but was entirely about satisfying the Labour grassroots.
    The fox hunting ban had been a key part of Labour's manifesto since before they even got into power in 1997. The only reason why it dragged on for so many years was because of the constant sabotaging campaign from the upper house.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The fox hunting ban had been a key part of Labour's manifesto since before they even got into power in 1997.

And Bush's opposition to gay 'marriage' played a part in him securing a mandate from the American people for a second term.
    Aladdin wrote:
    The only reason why it dragged on for so many years was because of the constant sabotaging campaign from the upper house.

You're obviously unfamiliar with British democracy. The Lords is not there to rubber-stamp legislation from the Commons. :rolleyes:

It is odd that the left which so vehemently hates the Lords forgets that it was the Lords that proved far more of a thorn in the side of Thatcher than the Labour opposition – which was little more than a bad joke.
  • Options
    And Bush's opposition to gay 'marriage' played a part in him securing a mandate from the American people for a second term.
    Only there is little chance (i.e. none at all) of the bill progressing. And therefore the only reason to suddenly and unexpectedly go for this is to divert attention from his war crimes and the ever-worsening situation in Iraq. Total hypocrisy and an appalling diversion and waste of time when the country is riddled with problems.

You're obviously unfamiliar with British democracy. The Lords is not there to rubber-stamp legislation from the Commons. :rolleyes:

It is odd that the left which so vehemently hates the Lords forgets that it was the Lords that proved far more of a thorn in the side of Thatcher than the Labour opposition – which was little more than a bad joke.
    The Lords are not there to rubber stamp anything... nor to continuously torpedo a legislation that had the support of the majority of the public and overwhelming support in the lower house.

They had ran out of excuses to reject the bill many years ago. They simply kept doing it because they themselves enjoyed the bloodsport. Some service to the country...
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Ta.

I feel it's just seperating them selves from straight people which creates tension imo.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Only there is little chance (i.e. none at all) of the bill progressing. And therefore the only reason to suddenly and unexpectedly go for this is to divert attention from his war crimes and the ever-worsening situation in Iraq.

And? Politicians everywhere waste time over pointless issues and initiatives to divert attention away from looking at actual solutions. That's politics. All this crap about 'choice' for patients on which hospital they're treated at or 'choice' for parents on local schools is a good example. People want good local hospitals and good local schools. Anyway, of course you're right but you're recognising the obvious - it's not as if Bush is unique, every politican does the same thing. (I'm not saying it's right but it's just how politics works).
    Aladdin wrote:
    Total hypocrisy and an appalling diversion and waste of time when the country is riddled with problems.

That's exactly what the fox hunting ban was. Hundreds of hours have been spent in Parliament on fox hunting. The end result is some kind of ban nobody can be bothered to properly enforce, a few loopholes and er I don't think any foxes have been saved either. Like most people I have no interest in fox hunting. There are far more important things for Parliament to discuss and the police to enforce. Anyway if somebody wishes to hunt vermin it's not the state's business.

Aladdin wrote:
    The Lords are not there to rubber stamp anything... nor to continuously torpedo a legislation that had the support of the majority of the public and overwhelming support in the lower house.

Funny but polls show most of the public support ID cards and the 90 days amendment but I somehow think you'd be grateful of any Lords opposition there...

Er anyway constitutionally could you please explain to me where the Lords is constrained from opposing something that has public support and overwhelming support in the lower house? Bad legislation does not suddenly cease to be bad legislation because it has support from MPs and the public nor does something become right because it has the support of MPs and the public...
    Aladdin wrote:
    They had ran out of excuses to reject the bill many years ago. They simply kept doing it because they themselves enjoyed the bloodsport. Some service to the country...

There is a pretty strong argument against the fox hunting ban, I won't get into it now. But Labour MP Kate Hoey and other opponents make good points...

Anyway in the Lords plenty of Conservative, Labour and Liberal peers as well as crossbenchers opposed the fox hunting ban. I don't enjoy the 'bloodsport', neither do most of the Lords or MPs that opposed the ban. I simply see it as authoritarian and hypocritical as well as a petty jibe at rural Britain to satisfy Labour grassroots activists.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    I'm not anti gay, I'm just anti gay sex. I've been there I know all about it.
    gay sex doesn't make me gay. I've never had gay sex and not really interested in it. But I'm gay and I can't do anything about it unfortunately. It's from within, which people like Bush don't understand as they believe it's just simply sex.
  • Options
    And? Politicians everywhere waste time over pointless issues and initiatives to divert attention away from looking at actual solutions. That's politics. All this crap about 'choice' for patients on which hospital they're treated at or 'choice' for parents on local schools is a good example. People want good local hospitals and good local schools. Anyway, of course you're right but you're recognising the obvious - it's not as if Bush is unique, every politican does the same thing. (I'm not saying it's right but it's just how politics works).
    Perhaps he should have chosen another subject then, instead of pandering to the extremist Christian Right and promiting, even if indirectly, prejudice and homophobia.

We're supposed to be moving forwards not backwards.

That's exactly what the fox hunting ban was. Hundreds of hours have been spent in Parliament on fox hunting.
    And whose fault was that???

Er anyway constitutionally could you please explain to me where the Lords is constrained from opposing something that has public support and overwhelming support in the lower house?
    Nowhere of course, but let's not pretend they were doing it out of duty or because they thought it was in the best interests of the country.

Anyway in the Lords plenty of Conservative, Labour and Liberal peers as well as crossbenchers opposed the fox hunting ban. I don't enjoy the 'bloodsport', neither do most of the Lords or MPs that opposed the ban. I simply see it as authoritarian and hypocritical as well as a petty jibe at rural Britain to satisfy Labour grassroots activists.
    Tell that to the foxes torn apart alive in the most indescribable manner.

This has nothing to do with Labour grassroots or class war (despite some people's protestations to the contrary). This is to do with animal welfare. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Tell that to the foxes torn apart alive in the most indescribable manner.

This has nothing to do with Labour grassroots or class war (despite some people's protestations to the contrary). This is to do with animal welfare. Nothing more, nothing less.

Animal welfare? :lol: You really can be very gullible. Still the apparent compassion of all these caring Labour MPs and yourself Aladdin is truly touching. But do you not think there were other more pressing issues related to animal welfare - if that was the motive? Fox hunting is hardly the most efficient way of killing a fox, the vast majority of foxes killed are done so with a shotgun or by traps anyway - not many foxes die through hunts. It's not like thousands upon thousands of foxes were systemically killed by hunts...Unlike battery farmed chickens which er affects a lot more chickens. I guess plenty of Labour supporters like cheap eggs from Tesco. :rolleyes: Live export?

The fox hunting ban had everything to do with the people who practice it. (Although that in itself is somewhat of a misconception since many working class people in the countryside enjoy fox hunting too).

Arguably it's a moral issue anyway. Just as I believe abortion is wrong but it is not for me or the state to tell women what to do with their bodies it's up to individuals whether fox hunting is right or wrong. Personally I do not see anything wrong with hunting vermin but meh some of the chattering classes evidently care deeply about vermin. I have no desire to go fox hunting although there is morally nothing wrong with it imo and if I want to go fox hunting I see no reason why I should not be allowed to.
  • Options
    I'm gonna be really unproper and undebatified but...

One of these days all the gays are gonna end up migrating to somewhere where they'll be accepted and be allowed a partnership.

And America will be left full of intolerables.
  • Options
    Animal welfare? :lol: You really can be very gullible. Still the apparent compassion of all these caring Labour MPs and yourself Aladdin is truly touching. But do you not think there were other more pressing issues related to animal welfare - if that was the motive? Fox hunting is hardly the most efficient way of killing a fox, the vast majority of foxes killed are done so with a shotgun or by traps anyway
    They are now.
    not many foxes die through hunts. It's not like thousands upon thousands of foxes were systemically killed by hunts...
    Are you quite sure about that?

Anyway, since when numbers have meant anything? If I burn a kitten alive, do you think I could get away by saying 'do my favour your honour, it was just the one, it wasn't thousands of them'?
    Unlike battery farmed chickens which er affects a lot more chickens. I guess plenty of Labour supporters like cheap eggs from Tesco. :rolleyes: Live export?
    Now you are scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

The funniest thing of all is that if Labour had put a bill forward to ban battery farming or live exports, you would be here ranting about how it is all a waste of parliamentary time.
    The fox hunting ban had everything to do with the people who practice it. (Although that in itself is somewhat of a misconception since many working class people in the countryside enjoy fox hunting too).
    No. That's what the Telegraph brigades keep repeating to themselves to work up a sense of persecution and righteousness.

Because they simply don't want to admit that it doesn't really mean jackshit if something is "a tradition" or if has been done for hundreds of years. What's wrong is wrong- and unnecessary cruelty to animals is wrong.
    Arguably it's a moral issue anyway. Just as I believe abortion is wrong but it is not for me or the state to tell women what to do with their bodies it's up to individuals whether fox hunting is right or wrong. Personally I do not see anything wrong with hunting vermin but meh some of the chattering classes evidently care deeply about vermin.
    Who has said foxes should not be hunted? :confused:
    I have no desire to go fox hunting although there is morally nothing wrong with it imo and if I want to go fox hunting I see no reason why I should not be allowed to.
    If I wanted to shoot your dog, should I have the right to?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Anyway, since when numbers have meant anything? If I burn a kitten alive, do you think I could get away by saying 'do my favour your honour, it was just the one, it wasn't thousands of them'?

Now you are scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

My point was there are more battery farmed chickens than foxes killed in hunts. And I believe the former is an instance of greater cruelty.
    Aladdin wrote:
    If I wanted to shoot your dog, should I have the right to?

A pet dog is not vermin. If you want to shoot vermin whether it is a rat, a fox or a (grey) squirrel fine.

Regardless we will not agree and your beliefs have unfortunately prevailed under this government. Of course when the Conservatives get back in the ban will be repealed.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    I feel it's just seperating them selves from straight people which creates tension imo.
    I disagree...

Until it is completely safe to have same sex relationships then the term LGBT is needed. You can't honestly say that there is no tension anyway.
  • Options
    I disagree...

Until it is completely safe to have same sex relationships then the term LGBT is needed. You can't honestly say that there is no tension anyway.
    Safe in what sense?
  • Options
    My point was there are more battery farmed chickens than foxes killed in hunts. And I believe the former is an instance of greater cruelty.
    So what? Can't we take a step at a time? Just because battery farming exists does not mean hunting with dogs should be allowed to continue.

A pet dog is not vermin. If you want to shoot vermin whether it is a rat, a fox or a (grey) squirrel fine.
    That's fine by me and by most people including animal welfare organisations- as a vermin control exercise at least.

Unfortunately for those foxes caught in the now outlawed hunts, they weren't shot- they were chased for prolonged periods and then torn to pieces and disembowelled alive.

That is what people objected to.

Regardless we will not agree and your beliefs have unfortunately prevailed under this government. Of course when the Conservatives get back in the ban will be repealed.
    We'll see... :D
  • Options
    Safe in what sense?

Safe to conduct your relationship without fear of physical and/or verbal violance is the most obvious one that springs to mind. Other 'safety' examples would include financial/legal/workplace discriminations...