Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shocked Me!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Jeeze! I just went to try sign up with a new doctor at my local surgery and the woman at the desk shocked the life out of me!!!! She asked if Im married or have a partner!!! I was like huh?! You have to be kidding!!! Ive never been asked if Im married before!! Scared the life out of me! :)

Comments

• Options
    Why has it shocked you that much?
  • Options
    Because marriage freaks me out and I dont believe in it! Plus the fact Im 20 and look young for my age!
  • Options
    hehe i had a similar reaction when last time i went to the doctor he asked me if i was thinking of trying for a baby!! :eek: made me feel sooo old
  • Options
    intrepide wrote:
    hehe i had a similar reaction when last time i went to the doctor he asked me if i was thinking of trying for a baby!! :eek: made me feel sooo old

:) Cerainly scary stuff! I had a girl ask me the other day if I ever want to have children again freaked me out. I hate all that kind of stuff!
  • Options
    I hate that kind of thing, I look young too so it's especially strange! When I was away last weekend everyone assumed I was married to the fella I was with. Just a bit weird and scary... for both of us :p
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I hate that kind of thing, I look young too so it's especially strange! When I was away last weekend everyone assumed I was married to the fella I was with. Just a bit weird and scary... for both of us :p

Hehe :) Ive had two guys propose to me and I ran a mile!!!
  • Options
    Can't remember who it was (think it was either the doctors or the dentist) asked me if I was married and I was like no, then she asked if I had a girlfriend or a boyfriend :blush:
  • Options
    and you said both :P just to freak them out :lol:
  • Options
    I always hate when your at the doctor getting blood/peeing/exrays and they ask you if theres any chance you may be pregnant. I remember them asking me that when I was like 15 :\

I had no idea why they would be asking that (I was getting a chest xray) and I was so freaked out :p I just kind of stared at the woman all scared and she just looks at me and laughs, shes like, we have to ask every woman. I felt relieved then :p

Your right, its just freaky questions :p
  • Options
    never bothered me. I dont get why it would.
    Believe it or not, when youre a grown up, people ask you those sorts of things sometimes. It doesnt mean theyre expecting you to.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    my_name wrote:
    I always hate when your at the doctor getting blood/peeing/exrays and they ask you if theres any chance you may be pregnant. I remember them asking me that when I was like 15 :\
    yeah i get that all the time. I go with a headache...could you be pregnant? i have a sore toe...could you be pregnant?
    silly bitch didnt ask me last time when i had a bad throat though :p i was backa week later lol!
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    yeah i get that all the time. I go with a headache...could you be pregnant? i have a sore toe...could you be pregnant?
    silly bitch didnt ask me last time when i had a bad throat though :p i was backa week later lol!
    Its to do with what medication they can prescribe for you, not because theyre being nosey.
    When My skin flared up with an allergy recently, they wouldnt give me steroid tablets because id had unprotected sex recently, not even knowingly pregnant. They just like to be careful sometimes and thats a good thing surely?
  • Options
    I've never had them ask me theh pregnancy question for medication reasons. Never even thought about that one for a reason to ask. Just ask the allergy question. Only ask when they need to do tests where the results may vary depending on pregnancy... and obviously harmfull xrays. Maybe they all think I can't get any :p

One time before perscribing me some antibiotics they asked if I was currently suffering from diareha :p I knew the relevence... but it was still an ackward question.
  • Options
    that's nothing.

before my nanna's funeral the other week, we were round at her house and i was stood by the window. my nanna's brothers' wife was walking towards the window and when she came in she said she thought i was my mum. my mum is 30 years older than me! then i was introducing this same lady to my step-dad and she said 'oh is this your partner?'. :impissed:

but the week before that someone thought i looked 16 and i got ID'd buying alcohol in the place i work at and i'm 21. :grump:
  • Options
    Its to do with what medication they can prescribe for you, not because theyre being nosey.
    When My skin flared up with an allergy recently, they wouldnt give me steroid tablets because id had unprotected sex recently, not even knowingly pregnant. They just like to be careful sometimes and thats a good thing surely?

yup, tis true.

a couple of years ago i was prescribed some pills for dizziness and nausea, and they asked if there was any chance i could be pregnant (apparently they can cause pretty serious birth defects). i said probably not, but yeah, i'm sexually active and no contraception's 100%, so there's always a chance. and they made me do a pregnancy test before i could have the pills.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    ooh, love that pretty avatar kaffrin, makes me feel all happy and summery :)

it's my summer av :yes:
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    yeah best to be safe than sorry. but i think its because they never know what's wrong with me...i know! I'm a drama queen :p
  • Options
    I got ID'd buying a lottery ticket a few weeks ago :grump:

Even though the person next to the chump who was IDing me had just sold me beer, and I had Abbie in one hand and my car keys in the other.

Ok so 15 year olds can have a baby but how many of them can drive :yeees:

ETA: This post looks like Im talking about something totally different but I was carrying on from what Lucifer was saying :p
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:

Seriously? I've never had that happen to me.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Neither had I! The guy serving me looked about 15 too :/
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

i have. quite recently, too :|

i have also had a door to door salesman ask if my mummy was in. although in the end it worked in my favour cause instead of squealing 'this is MY HOUSE you complete bastard why i oughtta etc' said 'sorry she's out', and he didn't try to extort money out of me :thumb:

and i have also driven into a petrol station in my car, filled up, paid with my credit card, and then tried to buy a pack of fags for my mate and been asked if i can prove i'm over 16 :grump:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    and i have also driven into a petrol station in my car, filled up, paid with my credit card, and then tried to buy a pack of fags for my mate and been asked if i can prove i'm over 16 :grump:

urgh, me too. i paid for my petrol with my credit card and then was like oh, actually can i have a pack of whatever cigarettes it was my mate wanted and the guy asked me for I.D!! even though i had just filled up my car with petrol and had my keys in my hand which clearly suggests i am 17 at the very least!!
  • Options
    I remember when we got our Meningitis shots, the first time I was asked if I could be pregnant, and no, (i wasnt sexually active), the second shot came along (we had to get 3) and I wasnt asked, even though I was then s.a. hmm :chin:

Only other times are for xrays.

Well thats my 2 cents worth.
  • Options
    Not nitpicking or anything here but just wanted to clear up the I.D thing; I work in a supermarket and we're now required by law to I.D anyone who looks under the age of 21.

So it doesn't matter if you drive up to a petrol station and fill up, then try and buy cigarettes or alcohol (even if you are 16 or 18 and look it) if you look under 21 then shop staff HAVE to I.D you - because if they get caught selling stuff to someone who's underage then the shop gets fined, the person serving gets fined a minimum of £80 and in most shops, the person serving also gets suspended from work - so it's not worth it.

I know it's embarrassing/frustrating when you get asked for I.D (I'm 23 in August and I get ID'd all the time) but don't take it personally - it's just the law :)
  • Options
    I just started a new job for a housing association and on the application form and app forms for houses they ask ur sexuality!! that shocked me!
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:

Ha, I always get ID'd for the lottery, though not usually for anything else. I can even get away with the scratchcards, but not the actual tickets. Weird.

It always makes me laugh, especially as you mentioned it's often the case that the shop assistant looks about eleven.
  • Options
    alasia wrote:
    I know it's embarrassing/frustrating when you get asked for I.D (I'm 23 in August and I get ID'd all the time) but don't take it personally - it's just the law :)

i don't find it embarrassing or frustrating. i find it ridiculous.

i have wrinkles, ffs :(
    I just started a new job for a housing association and on the application form and app forms for houses they ask ur sexuality!! that shocked me!

they have that on the borders application forms too. only they give you a choice. it was:

a. i am attracted to the opposite sex.

b. i am attracted to the same sex.

c. i am attracted to both the same sex and the opposite sex.

d. i would prefer not to say.

e. other.

other??? all bases covered there, surely? i spent some time trying to figure out what 'other' could possibly be...
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    other??? all bases covered there, surely? i spent some time trying to figure out what 'other' could possibly be...

Animals? Yourself?

I'd tick other :yes:
  • Options
    \