Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Recommend me a Wireless Router!

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Alright. I am looking for a good wireless router with built in modem to replace my lame one. It needs to be able to take multiple connectinos at once, so about 3/4 PC's can all acess the net at once, be good for heavy usage, etc. Built in firewall would be good too.

My dad said he'll think aobut going wireless, so better find a good product for it.

Idea of what useage it will get:
- Parent's PC - just general surfing/downloading
- My PC - Gaming, Torrents, Surfing, Downloading
- Dedicated Game server on my old PC
- My other PC - might get some usage if mates are round, gamesm surfing, etc.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bekin work, but tend to be a pain in the arse and break, the one we have here at uni just broke for no reason, and the admin is awful in it too. we now have a netgear router, and it's lovely.

although I am dubious as to the lack of being able to turn the log feature completely off :chin:

edit: oh, I didnt actually read all your post, so disregard all of what I just said :lol: sorry... this one has no built in modem.
  • Options
    d-link
  • Options
    Belkin break? Hmm.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/79069 This one looked quite good, and PC Gamer have given rave reveiws of one Belkin one similar to this.
  • Options
    really? well if you do get one and have to reset it, be carefull with the reset button because it is easily mashed, meaning you wont ever be able to reset it again. also, the firmware update files are downloaded in .dat format, even though the router needs something else, which is just stupid.

oh, and there's only 25 spaces for port forwards in the one we had too, although that's only a minor issue, the main problem being that it just seemed to have corrupted :s probably my housemates pc with all the spyware on it :lol:
  • Options
    I've had no complaints from my Draytek Vigor 2600WE. It's been superseeded by a later model now. They are generally expensive but do a good job.
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    really? well if you do get one and have to reset it, be carefull with the reset button because it is easily mashed, meaning you wont ever be able to reset it again. also, the firmware update files are downloaded in .dat format, even though the router needs something else, which is just stupid.

oh, and there's only 25 spaces for port forwards in the one we had too, although that's only a minor issue, the main problem being that it just seemed to have corrupted :s probably my housemates pc with all the spyware on it :lol:

It buggers up reseting? Fuck sake. I have reset my netgear one loads, it is fine.

What happens, does reseting it just fry the circuit or something?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Alright. I am looking for a good wireless router with built in modem to replace my lame one. It needs to be able to take multiple connectinos at once, so about 3/4 PC's can all acess the net at once, be good for heavy usage, etc. Built in firewall would be good too.

My dad said he'll think aobut going wireless, so better find a good product for it.

Idea of what useage it will get:
    - Parent's PC - just general surfing/downloading
    - My PC - Gaming, Torrents, Surfing, Downloading
    - Dedicated Game server on my old PC
    - My other PC - might get some usage if mates are round, gamesm surfing, etc.

Ignore everything everyone else has said, pick up a Linksys WRT54G from ebay and put some custom firmware on it, i have the dd-wrt firmware on it atm and it runs like a complete dream.

The router itself runs a version of the linux kernel and also uses the popular iptables to manage its firewall and NAT, so you're sure to get stability and reliability with it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    It buggers up reseting? Fuck sake. I have reset my netgear one loads, it is fine.

What happens, does reseting it just fry the circuit or something?

even more silly than that, the reset button broke :lol:

it was just so tiny and cheap!
  • Options
    Netgear DG834PN. great range, great options, worth the premium imho.
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    Netgear DG834PN. great range, great options, worth the premium imho.

I have a netgear and it sucks a bit. Reliable but just SHIT. I hope others are better.

And oh, the rest button broke. How lame...
  • Options
    meh, ive fiddled with every brand of router and d-link have the suckiest software, and there isnt much between belkin/linksys/netgear imo
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    meh, ive fiddled with every brand of router and d-link have the suckiest software, and there isnt much between belkin/linksys/netgear imo

Well PC Gamer had a wank over the new Belkin one (apparently it is good) so I mgiht look into it.