Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

what's going on here then? (graphics problem)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, so today I started up world of warcraft, did nothing out of the ordinary, havn't installed any new software / drivers, and the visuals started to bug. It's the same having restarted the PC, and winamp's gone odd too, as you can see in the pictures I've attached.

now, the odd thing is that the ui wasn't bugged, and nor is my start bar, but my mouse pointer is :lol:

any idea what the hell's going on here? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Looks like display corruption. Is it possible to check if the cards seated properly in the slot? Also check that if the card has a fan, that it's spinning properly. Could be overheating if it's not working properly and causing the problems.
  • Options
    Download some new drivers for the card, uninstall and clean the previous ones and then install the new drivers. But do what Rich-E said first.

Usually if you overclock to far things like this happen.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies, I'll have a look in the case, although I've not had any trouble with overheating in the past, and it's not overclocked, (or very hot for that matter, it's only a radeon 9600 :p) and I havn't moved it recently. Very strange! I'll reinstall the drivers too.

edit: it seems to be fine at the moment... I'll try recreating what caused it in the first place, might be something else :chin: very odd!

oh, maybe not, just making the buttons on winamp animate causes the problem grr. it gets worse, check out this screenie :lol: I really dont have time to fix this now :impissed: maybe at the end of the week once my exams are over.
  • Options
    Looks like artifacts, and if it isn't overclocked then the card may be shot.
  • Options
    Find out how to overclock the card, then use it to underclock the memory/GPU separately. If it isn't due to a recent driver install, then my first guess would be that some of the memory is starting to play up.

Slowing it down should help isolate the problem. If the artifacts disappear after slowing the memory down, then you can be fairly sure that you're seeing the first symptoms of hardware failure.
  • Options
    well, I rolled back the driver anyway, and it hasn't made any difference. Although oddly, I have a primary and secondary graphics card listed as my display adapters, wen I only have one. no idea!

thanks for all your suggestions, it's about time I got a new graphics card anyway :lol: but I'll have a play once I get some free time :)
  • Options
    hello again :) update on the situation:
    drivers have been uninstalled and freshly updated to the latest version, card's inserted properly, heatsinks are clean, there's no fan to clog up either...

underclocking the memory makes things (a lot) worse, overclocking doesnt seem to make a difference, the artifacting's still there.

changing the GPU and the core clockspeed also don't make a difference.

does that mean the memory's broked? :(
  • Options
    I had a problem like that with Rise of Legends. I had to update the drivers for my soundcard to fix it.
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    hello again :) update on the situation:
    drivers have been uninstalled and freshly updated to the latest version, card's inserted properly, heatsinks are clean, there's no fan to clog up either...

underclocking the memory makes things (a lot) worse, overclocking doesnt seem to make a difference, the artifacting's still there.

changing the GPU and the core clockspeed also don't make a difference.

does that mean the memory's broked? :(

It isn't conclusive, to be honest. Memory doesn't generally just fail completely - a particular piece of it tends to start struggling to perform at the rated specification. Slowing it down makes it work at a slower speed and a lower temperature, which normally gives you a fair idea as to whether or not it is beginning to fail.

As you've still got artifacts, whether you slow down the memory or the GPU, I'm inclined to say that whilst one or the other may be giving you grief, your next port of call should be your PSU. Any chance of you checking over the voltages being given out? They'll drop when the PSU is under load, so what you see in the BIOS isn't always a true representation of the real-world output.

Has anything else started to struggle on the system recently? Have you added a heap of fans or anything for the summer?
  • Options
    havn't looked into the PSU at all to be honest, I'll see what monitoring bits I can find on tinterweb. as for adding to the system, I've not changed any hardware on this PC since I fitted the wireless network card in it about 2 years ago! :)

nothing else has been struggling noticable, although in the last year it's been slower on the start up, but that's probably just because the hard drive's getting filled up. I've made sure there arn't too many programs that run on startup to fix that though.
  • Options
    right, taking into accout I'm not really sure what I'm looking at here, I've downloaded Sandra Lite, and did a quick scan of my systems hardware profile, here's the voltage and temperature data:

Temperature Sensor(s)
    Board Temperature : 41.0°C / 105.8°F
    CPU Temperature : 49.0°C / 120.2°F
    Power / Aux Temperature : 72.5°C / 155.3°F

Voltage Sensor(s)
    CPU Voltage : 1.66V
    Aux Voltage : 1.66V
    +3.3V Voltage : 3.33V
    +5V Voltage : 5.08V
    +12V Voltage : 11.80V
    -12V Voltage : -12.03V
    -5V Voltage : -5.05V
    Standby Voltage : 5.02V
    Battery Voltage : 2.85V

Warning 2518 : Mainboard temperature is too high.

as you can see the power/aux temperature is a bit toasty! voltages look fairly normal I suppose... it also said my video bios is 3 years old and should be updated, how'd I go about that? (seeing as I've already updated the driver to the latest version)
  • Options
    Ignore what it says about updating the BIOS. :)

Mainboard temperature is high, but it isn't all that bad. Lower is better, but you're measuring your system at one of the warmest times of the year. At the moment my motherboard is 31°C, and my CPU is 39°C.

More worrying is the 'Power / Aux Temperature' - is this the temperature inside the PSU? Do you know where the readings are being probed from? 72°C is rather too high for any part of a home PC, IMO.

On the whole. your temperature readings are a little high. They're up at the top-end of what would be classed as normal - so long as everything was working fine, then I'd say it wasn't an issue. But as you're experiencing problems, it might be worth trying to get the temperature of your machine down. Take the side off the case, see if that helps with anything. If you've got a fan lying around, then temporarily try using that to force air through the case.

Bank on replacing the battery by the end of the year - it's a lot lower than a new one would read. ;)
  • Options
    hmm ok, I went into town to get some air cleaner stuff to sort the innards of my PC out, but nowhere had any! so I had to mail order some, so it'll get a good clean out in a couple of days.

I'm assuming the power/aux is the temperature in the PSU, although I'm not totally sure, it seems to vary a bit, that's the high end.

my housemate has a radeon 9800 pro I could borrow for a while, perhaps it might be a good idea to replace mine with that one and see if it fixes the problem, I'll do that once I clean it out.

and as for the battery, I should hopefully be getting a new PC by the end of the year, this one is starting to show its age now :)

thanks for all your help btw :thumb:
  • Options
    Be careful putting someone elses card in your machine - you'll be pissed if something breaks it ;). I've no idea what a 9800 is worth these days; the last time I had anything to do with ATI was when I sold a 9700 Pro for a couple of hundred quid 2-3 years ago.

Don't worry about air dusters. Use a vacuum cleaner. I'd not reccomend it but turning a can of deodorant upside down does a very similar job to air dusters - all that comes out is propellant, though you'll smell a bit of the perfume too ;).
  • Options
    think the 9800's worth £100 - £200 new now, except for here where it's £380 because it's "the most visually advanced 3D performer on the planet" :lol:

I dunno, this is just annoying, I've finished my exams now, and really just want to play on my PC for the next 2 weeks till I go hom efor the summer :p so unfair...
  • Options
    If you're local to Stafford, then you're most welcome to try out og GF4 Ti4200 - I don't use it for gaming(worst ever purchase ever ever EVER by me :)), so I'd lose nothing if it were to break. I think I've got an old Rage Pro 3D kicking around somewhere... that'll be more than I really need :).
  • Options
    that's very kind of you :) but unfortunately I'm a bit too far away down south...

think i've pretty much done everything I can without replacing the graphics card now, so I think I'll give up till I can be arsed to do that, thanks for all your help :)
  • Options
    Try a bit of cooling(remove side of case and use a household-fan if you have one), it'll at least give you an idea of whether you're chasing the right direction or not :).

Good luck with it! :)
  • Options
    right, case's off and inards cleaned, but I was just thinking, when I did a fresh install of the graphics card drivers, I completely uninstalled the ones that were there already there prior to installing the new ones -

on restart, with no drivers (which would imply the graphics card wasn't doing anything, right?) the problem was a hell of a lot worse... does this indicate that it's nothing to do with the graphics card and something else like the onboard graphics?
  • Options
    No. The system should ignore the on-board video card. Your monitor will be using the output from whichever card it is plugged into - all the graphics processing is limited to that card, none off it will be off-loaded to the built-in card.

Have you tried removing your card and running games on just the onboard card?
  • Options
    no I havn't actually, I'll give that a go on tuesday when I have a bit of free time :)

so the system uses the graphics card even when the drivers have been uninstalled... uses built in default drivers then I presume?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Replicant wrote:
    think the 9800's worth £100 - £200 new now, except for here where it's £380 because it's "the most visually advanced 3D performer on the planet" :lol:

:lol: ?!?!

Some sites need updating desperatley. ;/

And sad to say mate... think the card might be borked. Must say despite the fact it already has - DRIVERS. Get news ones for everything, if no result, then try going back to the originals the card came with. If still no luck, maybe it is borked.
  • Options
    Be careful putting someone elses card in your machine - you'll be pissed if something breaks it ;). I've no idea what a 9800 is worth these days; the last time I had anything to do with ATI was when I sold a 9700 Pro for a couple of hundred quid 2-3 years ago.

Don't worry about air dusters. Use a vacuum cleaner. I'd not reccomend it but turning a can of deodorant upside down does a very similar job to air dusters - all that comes out is propellant, though you'll smell a bit of the perfume too ;).

£60 off eBay. I've got one in my comp (not off eBay) and they're fantastic.

[/Shameless ATI plug]

I've got artefacting when my gfx card is doing too much and overheating. If parts of your system are that warm then maybe that's what it is?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    And sad to say mate... think the card might be borked. Must say despite the fact it already has - DRIVERS. Get news ones for everything, if no result, then try going back to the originals the card came with. If still no luck, maybe it is borked.

yeh, already done the whole new drivers thing, didnt help :( I'll take the card ourt and see what happens like click said. kinda sucks really, dont wana buy a new graphics card till I get a new PC in a couple of months

and yeh shyboy, I do like my ati cards, it's all clean inside my PC and on the heatsink of the card, and the case is open, so it shouldnt be overheating unless it's proper broke really, damnit! PSU's still running a bit hot though, not much else I can do about that..
  • Options
    ooh, slight flaw in the plan to just remove the graphics card and see what happens - I don't think I'd have anywhere to plug the moniter in then!
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:
    ooh, slight flaw in the plan to just remove the graphics card and see what happens - I don't think I'd have anywhere to plug the moniter in then!

onboard vga?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Replicant wrote:

I have like, infinte old TNT Vanta's and other PCI gfx cards... surley... you must have something? If not, it'll be easy to get one... they are cheap/free most of the time.

I would sell ya one for a small sum of money. :thumb:
  • Options
    Replicant wrote:

You said you had onboard as well!

I've got a known-good AGP video card here that you can borrow, just cover my postage. :)
  • Options
    I must have been mistaken :lol:

no matter, i'll have to put up with it till I get a new one, thanks for the offer click, but I wouldnt want to break it :)
  • Options
    It's a crappy 4mb card from 1998. If it breaks, then I've lost nothing. But it's handy for when I need to have a server running here for whatever reason. :)

Offer is open if you want it. Though with the cost of postage two ways, you could probably buy a TNT2 or something on eBay.