Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Maths GCSE exam

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think it depends on the uni and the course, im sure when i applied nothing was mentioned about GCSEs, i just knew i needed an A and 2 Bs from the A-Levels. Althought obviously they took GCSE grades into consideration, or at least looked at them when deciding who to offer places too.

I know of quite a few people on my course who dont have a grade C in their GCSE maths because theyve been taking evening classes in order to take their GCSE again to try and get a C.

Maybe things have changed but when I took my GCSES 4/5 years ago, you really didnt need to get that many marks or that high a percentage to get a grade C. im sure when I found out approx what it was, I was shocked it was so slow.

If you dont get a C this time around, you can always do it again, so I wouldnt worry too much.
  • Options
    has it happened yet? how did it go?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    has it happened yet? how did it go?

It's Half-Term right now...
    Maybe things have changed but when I took my GCSES 4/5 years ago, you really didnt need to get that many marks or that high a percentage to get a grade C. im sure when I found out approx what it was, I was shocked it was so slow.

IIRC, on the Intermediate papaer, just over 50% is required to get a C. Of course, the exam from Year 10 and some coursework counts towards the final grade. However, the final paper is worth the most.
  • Options
    __tink wrote:
    I've been entered for Higher because I'm in top set.

I was in the top sets but I chose to do the Intermediate level instead. If you think you won't pass the higher then go for Intermediate. It payed off for me as I doubt I would have passed the higher on the day.

Anyway you're teacher should know all this... if he/she doesn't then there is something wrong.
  • Options
    Nash wrote:
    I was in the top sets but I chose to do the Intermediate level instead. If you think you won't pass the higher then go for Intermediate. It payed off for me as I doubt I would have passed the higher on the day.

Anyway you're teacher should know all this... if he/she doesn't then there is something wrong.

Don't think you can actually do this, tbh. And I think it's too late to change papaer now anyway.
  • Options
    ah right, i was talking about the higher paper- you didnt need that much on that to get a C. so yeah, you will need more on the intermediate paper.
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    ah right, i was talking about the higher paper- you didnt need that much on that to get a C. so yeah, you will need more on the intermediate paper.

It's only something like 19% for a C I think.
  • Options
    I've been told by my teacher to try not to go for Intermediate Tier becaouse the highest grade you can get is a "B" and you've got to answer pretty much all the answers correctly, but, if you do higher yes it is harder but it's something like 33% for a "C".

If your in year 10 (like moi) if your doing intermediate tier next year that that would then be made the higher tier the following year...
  • Options
    Well in the papers so far, I've just about passed them all, getting a C's and a B. In my coursework I think I got an A and a C. It all averages out.. so I need 52% on my last paper (i'm doing modular) to get a C. My exam is on Monday so I'll tell you how it went.. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    __tink wrote:
    Well in the papers so far, I've just about passed them all, getting a C's and a B. In my coursework I think I got an A and a C. It all averages out.. so I need 52% on my last paper (i'm doing modular) to get a C. My exam is on Monday so I'll tell you how it went.. :crazyeyes

Good luck. But surely if you did great on your coursework, then you may not need a brilliant mark for your exam? :confused:
  • Options
    No idea.. my maths teacher worked it out. :)
  • Options
    Well.. I've just got back from my Non Calculator Maths exam!

When I first opened the paper I was like.. phew. The beginning questions were easy.. but gradually got harder.. and I came to a halt. I just sat there staring at the paper thinking 'Oh... crap' But overall, I hope I did well, seeing as I need such a low mark to pass the paper.
  • Options
    Just got back from doing mine too.. Fuck i hated the first graph question! i knew the graph had to be symetrical and it was a squiggly fucking line. Re-did the calculations over and over and I got different answers everytime and not one of them was right! Same with the simultaneous equation.. I had the right numbers but whether i put - -, ++, - + or + - .. it didn't come out right.. Second graph question i hated too. Couldn't do it. I missed out on about 12 marks through not doing/deffinately getting questions wrong but hopefully i'll still get a B..
  • Options
    i did intermediate - wasn't as bad as i thought but some questions made no sense

i had a question with a rectangle, corners called A.B.C.D and i had to shade in the points that were further than 1cm away from like BC or whatever and 4cm away from point A....only thing is, there were no points, it was a plain rectangle. So i just shaded the area
  • Options
    Yeah you had to draw a loci around A and then rule of 1cm infront on BC and then shade in the middle.. at least thats what i did..

Some of the questions were quite badly worded..
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i did intermediate - wasn't as bad as i thought but some questions made no sense

i had a question with a rectangle, corners called A.B.C.D and i had to shade in the points that were further than 1cm away from like BC or whatever and 4cm away from point A....only thing is, there were no points, it was a plain rectangle. So i just shaded the area

That's simple:

Find BC, (which could for example be the line going vertically on the left-hand side) measure one cm from there and shade in that area from the mark you just made.
  • Options
    Btw, I just did Shape, Space and Measurements. Not the Linear exam.
  • Options
    Cazzoo wrote:
    Yeah you had to draw a loci around A and then rule of 1cm infront on BC and then shade in the middle.. at least thats what i did..

I think you're right and I'm wrong!
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    I think you're right and I'm wrong!

:p
  • Options
    Cazzoo wrote:

thats what i did....it was the shade in the non-existent points bit that got me
    i'm glad i'm not the only one that thought they were badly worded!
  • Options
    hey how did everyone find the maths paper today? i'm doing higher and found it so difficult!!! EEK! im hoping everyone else did too so grade boundaries will be lower HEHE! cant blame me for hoping!!
  • Options
    niteryder wrote:
    hey how did everyone find the maths paper today? i'm doing higher and found it so difficult!!! EEK! im hoping everyone else did too so grade boundaries will be lower HEHE! cant blame me for hoping!!

I did it today, I actually found it really easy compared to Novembers paper M3 was very easy I think I could get an A, and M4 was ticky but still did well.

All in all I'm very happy went in worrying came out happy, *Fingers Crossed*I get an A or B.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    It's only something like 19% for a C I think.

I wish I did an English exam board, here in Northern Ireland we do CCEA which is a lot harghser the OCR I think at higher you need 40+% to get a C. And about 65% at intermediate level.
  • Options
    I wish I did an English exam board, here in Northern Ireland we do CCEA which is a lot harghser the OCR I think at higher you need 40+% to get a C. And about 65% at intermediate level.
    They are set the grade boundaries so that the same proportions of students get a C so if it is a harder paper the grade boundary will be lower.
  • Options

I was talking about the Higher paper when I said you only needed 19%. I think it's about 40-50% for a C on the Intermediate paper.
  • Options
    i failed my maths gcse... TWICE!!

got a D initially, and then resat to try and get a C, but failed again!! very annoying.
    sure youll do/have done great though!!! :D
  • Options
    soraliah wrote:
    i failed my maths gcse... TWICE!!

got a D initially, and then resat to try and get a C, but failed again!! very annoying.
    sure youll do/have done great though!!! :D
    techincally a D isn't a fail - it's actually about average, the only fail there really is, is a U
    it annoys me how they make out that if you don't get a C then its not a GCSE worth having - when C is above average anyway
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    The only reason a D isn't a fail is because they're afraid to say that anyone has failed. But since every college, university and employer will ask for a C or above, then below a C is a fail for all intents and purposes as you'll have to resit until you get a C.
    which i think is ridiculous, to get a C you need to know tons of maths - 90% of which you'll probably never need, unless you're wanting to go further into maths then i don't think they should put so much pressure on pupils
    as long as you can do the maths you'll need, some algebra and stuff then you're fine....you don't need to know how to solve quadratic equations and silly stuff like that
  • Options
    \