Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Age Difference

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know this has probably been done a few times before, but I have a simple question and I want to know.

Do you think its okay for a 22 year old guy to go out with a 16 year old girl? is it different for girls? I'm 22 and I know I would personally never go out with a 16 year old boy! And I don't think any of my friends would either.

And, guys that are around that age, would you go out with a 16 year old?

Im genuinely curious, nothing to do with whats going on in my life, oh no :yeees:

Comments

• Options
    As long as they are above the age of consent I dont think it matters. (Unless its starts to get to be where the guy can play bridge with your grandpa after sex)

Theres a 7 year difference between my guy and me and I've never thought twice about it. Except when I'll say something like, yeah, in highschool a couple years ago... then I make him and his friends feel old :p 16 and 22, imo is hardly a difference at all.

As you said though, being 20now, I couldn't imagine going out with a boy that young. I'm not into younger boys, never have been. Immature, mainly. Plus being older just doens't appeal to me.
  • Options
    I know this has probably been done a few times before, but I have a simple question and I want to know.

Do you think its okay for a 22 year old guy to go out with a 16 year old girl? is it different for girls? I'm 22 and I know I would personally never go out with a 16 year old boy! And I don't think any of my friends would either.

And, guys that are around that age, would you go out with a 16 year old?

Im genuinely curious, nothing to do with whats going on in my life, oh no :yeees:

I can't imagine having much in common with a 16 year old, plus they couldn't go to bars/pubs with me and would probably still live at home, which really puts me off a guy. And also would not have a car.

18, maybe, but I'd feel a bit strange. But it depends what stage they are in their life, some 18 year old guys are mature and work full time and have their own flat, but I'd probably be worried they would want to go out and see different girls while they were young.
  • Options
    im 23 now and personally i doubt i'd date anyone under the age of 18, there is a big gap i think in maturity levels, i have nothing in common with someone younger than that. he probably thinks its cool to have a 16 year old gf when in fact its a tad creepy.
  • Options
    when i was 16, this 18 year old liked me and i remember being like 'omg he's so old'. :lol:

i don't think it matters, she's over the age of consent and what not.

eta: i'm 21 now and don't think i'd go out with anyone younger than 18. i prefer them older! :D
  • Options
    i met up with a girl last week who i'd met in a club (a dimly lit one i might add.....) after a few beers, turns out she was 28 :eek: i don't think age is a big thing if the blokes older, but 7 years the other way is a no no, just think in a couple years she'd be 30!.......damn shame cos we got along alright, but i'm sure she felt the same.....
  • Options
    I'm 21 and going out with a 17 year old. I look quite young though, and she looks about her age. The only problem we've had so far is that she can't really get into any clubs or anything, so either she doesn't go out, or we both go out and go home early, which is sometimes better ;). Other than that I haven't had any problems really. It's only fairly casual though at the moment. I reckon we'll have issues eventually if we're together for ages, because I'm just starting my career, and she'll be going to uni, so we're just having fun for now.

I reckon it's more down to having similar interests and outlooks on life. You are more likely to be at different stages in your life which may cause problems, but age as a factor in itself isn't really an issue (unless it's in legal terms).
  • Options
    i'm 16 and my bf is nearly 20, we're on the same wavelength mentally so i don't really notice
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I can't imagine having much in common with a 16 year old.

That's the clincher. Even a 16 year old lad who was "mature for his age" (a rarity, I'd imagine) would still be going through things like school/college stress, probably living at home and having a curfew :p and as bad as it will make me sound they're not exactly likely to have their own income. It would scare me to hell to go out with a fella who didn't even have a full, adult bank account and couldn't apply for a credit card. Not that I look for men who are thousands of pounds in debt or anything...

If they were 18+ I'd be much more likely to look at them as a potential partner, though they still wouldn't be my ideal as - same as lucifer - I prefer men to be older than me, or at least the same age. That said, of course, I never say never ;)
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    That's the clincher. Even a 16 year old lad who was "mature for his age" (a rarity, I'd imagine) would still be going through things like school/college stress, probably living at home and having a curfew :p and as bad as it will make me sound they're not exactly likely to have their own income. It would scare me to hell to go out with a fella who didn't even have a full, adult bank account and couldn't apply for a credit card. Not that I look for men who are thousands of pounds in debt or anything...

If they were 18+ I'd be much more likely to look at them as a potential partner, though they still wouldn't be my ideal as - same as lucifer - I prefer men to be older than me, or at least the same age. That said, of course, I never say never ;)

How about a casual shag then? I think it may make me feel a bit dirty.

I knew I was old when a guy I met in a bar lied to me about his age because I was a few years older than him.

It's funny, when I was 15/16 I went out with guys who were 20 and saw nothing wrong with it, but now I'd laugh at a guy my age going out with someone that young.
  • Options
    There's 14 years between me and my boyfriend, we've been going out for just over half a year now. I don't see the age difference to be honest, and I don't think he does either, I used to when we were just friends, but now it's completely the opposit, he does have the mental age/wavelength of a few years younger though. I prefer older men, lads around my college are a tad too immature for my preferences.
  • Options
    Im 23 in 2 months, I'm seeing someone at the moment who is 19. I probably wouldnt go out with anyone under 18...
    Partly maturaty, although that is genralising a bit, its alot to do with going out and stuff as well though, It would seem weird having a gf who couldnt get into clubs / bars etc...
  • Options
    I have dated younger guys and like most other people have said I think its more about the persons maturity level and outlook on life rather than their actual age. Saying that I doubt I'd date a 16 year old even if they were super mature with a great job and nice house, to me 16 is too young.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    How about a casual shag then? I think it may make me feel a bit dirty.

I knew I was old when a guy I met in a bar lied to me about his age because I was a few years older than him.

It's funny, when I was 15/16 I went out with guys who were 20 and saw nothing wrong with it, but now I'd laugh at a guy my age going out with someone that young.

Hmm, I suppose if it was that casual then you may well never find out... I agree that it'd probably make me feel dirty, and not in a good way :p

I have male friends who have had younger girlfriends which is fair enough and none of my business, but if we all go out together as a group those bitches make me feel extremely old :impissed:

Of course, all of the judgements I'm making about it depend on pretty huge generalisations, but I don't think I would get what I need (in any respect) out of a relationship with a 16 year old... I guess it depends totally on the individual people and cirumstances eh.
  • Options
    I get the feeling with this one that it matters less and less as you get older. For example, if I went out with a 16-year old, I suspect most people would probably look down on it. Maybe it's because people at this age are still growing up, though I don't deny that, at 21, I'm still doing that now. As for personal experience, I've dated a 24-year old before and it was no issue at all.
  • Options
    I was just talking about this earlier with someone in terms of friendship as well as relationships though. Think it comes down to life experience more than age mostly. As long as they are at least 16 then guess its not a problem legally. Im finding myself rather attracted to people who are quite a lot older than myself at the moment. Dont think it matters too much.
  • Options
    i've been seeing a guy whose 18 n im 22. at first the age difference did bother me, but when it hit me that he was pretty mature and that i could talk to him about stuff it didn't really matter anymore! i guess it all depends on how well u get along and that you're on the same wavelength.
  • Options
    I've only ever been with guys one or two years older than me. In my first relationship I was 15 and he was 17. It's not anything I have against being with anyone younger, I guess it's just happened that way. Also, dating someone from my school younger than me would have seemed odd to me, simply because they'd be around the same age as my younger brother, and would know him, probably.

Anywho. Age difference isn't an issue with me, though I've never been in a relationship with much of a gap. However, I feel that the most maturing is done between 15-18. I've changed so much over these years. Of course I'm still changing, but I think these years are crucial to a person's development and such like. So, when a 16 year old is with a 22 year old, I think it has be to taken into consideration that the 16 year old (whether male or female) is still learning about the world. So long as the 22 year old in the relationship is supportive of that, then I don't see a problem :)
  • Options
    I've been with my boyfriend a year and a half, i am 17 and he is 22, we've never had any problems with age difference or anything, only problems that any other couple would have.
  • Options
    I'm 18 and my boyfriend is nearly 23. I like em a bit older :yes:
  • Options
    My last sort-of-girlfriend was 17, the girl I lusted before her was 31.

I think a lot of girls like older blokes because of material things like cars and having their own flat and stuff. I tend to avoid gold-diggers like that, in all honesty. Not really that common once you get over 20, but the shallowness of teenage lassies I know is unreal.

Open your legs and you get free taxi rides everywhere, woohoo!

My lower limit is 16, and my upper limit is probably 35 or somethin.
  • Options
    I'm turning 20 soon, an the most recent person I've been interested in is 14 years older, its not an issue for me but it might be for her i guess.
    it would be a bit strange going out with someone of just 16 but it wont matter so much in a few years.
  • Options
    At the ripe old age of 23 (oh jesus :( ), I'd feel extremely dodgy about seeing a 16 year old. How fucking weird would it be helping them with their homework before you gave them a good seeing to?

I'll stick to twenty somethings thanks.
  • Options
    I'm 18 in July and my boy is 3months older than me. My dad is 7years older than my mum, and my recently engaged cousin is 28, with her boyfriend/fiance just turning 21
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    At the ripe old age of 23 (oh jesus :( ), I'd feel extremely dodgy about seeing a 16 year old. How fucking weird would it be helping them with their homework before you gave them a good seeing to?

thats if you could give them a good seeing to, they'd have to be in bed early, they'd have school the next day, no good doing PE if you hurt them to the point so they couldnt walk straight in the morning

on another note, someone in recent past did fancy, and always thought i was 23/24, possibly even going on 25

they were mortified for some reason when they found out im still 20, going on 21
    lady in question was 22
  • Options
    I usually tend to think that if both parties are over 18 then a lot of the problems disappear e.g being able to drink legally and get into clubs etc. I've dated people who were younger and who were older and i really do think it depends on the people involved. I was 18 and dating a 26 year old for a year and we were fine but then i was a pretty sensible teenager who acted slightly older. But then one of my relationships was with someone 17 years my senior but it was the happiest time ever for me when with someone. It matters not a toss to me as long as they respect you, you enjoy their company and you're attracted to them. Strange that i've ended up with someone 4 days my senior after years of dating people nowhere near my own age :D
  • Options
    i'm 26, my fella is 38 - it doesn't matter one bit to us. we share the same sense of humour, the same interests and have the same outlook on life. it works for us. it's not the same for everyone, but we're happy...and i love him to bits.
  • Options
    I was 17 when i started going out with my ex who was 22. Apart from him getting the piss taken a bit at work there were no problems. We went to the same clubs (we met in one) liked alot of the same stuff, and it's certainly not like I had a curfew or anything. My parents never said anything when i started spending most nights at his.
    So I guess it totally depends on the people, I was quite mature I guess and he was sorta immature for 22 (not in a bad way at all though). But you could get a 17 and 22 year old who are in completely different worlds, and of course that probably wouldn't work. So yeah, aslong as the girls over 16, it's down to the individual what age gap is too much.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:

See, now this is the kind of answer I wanted to see! haha.

Nah really, I appreciate everyones views. I'm just trying my best to figure out why the boy i liked/liked me now prefers the company of a 16 year old whos still at school. Maybe shes the most amazing girl in the world or something, i dunno. Annoying though :-/
  • Options
    I'm 26 now. :eek2: And my ex was 19. I didn't notice the age gap at all, really. But then I still think of myself as being about twenty anyway. :D
  • Options
    Nope, wouldn't date a man less than three years older than me and he'd have to be mature...

My mate's cousin is 14 and has a 20 year old boyfriend, I think that's sick personally, the same with 30 year old men who go out with 16 year old girls...

Just don't get it.