Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Food problem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,
I'm new to this site and I just wanted to get a problem I have off my chest, I'm not really expecting any of you to help as such I just wanted to write it down. It might be a bit of a long post, so apologies in advance.

Anyway, I think I have a serious problem with binge eating. I've been doing some research on the internet and a lot of the "symptoms" they described I can relate to. I'm in a healthy weight range for my height and I do a lot of exercise which probably counteracts some of the junk I stuff my face with and also stops people thinking I have any kind of problem, if that makes any sense?

A few years ago at uni I put on a bit of weight and I think I got obsessed with losing it. I went from not really thinking about food and just eating when I was hungry to thinking about what I could or couldn't eat that day and how long I was going to spend in the gym that week. But suddenly I started getting uncontrollable urges to just stuff myself with junk that I didn't need. Sometimes I was a bit peckish and just kept eating even when I was full and other times I was already full but started to eat anyway.

My typical week sees me eating a healthy diet about four days a week and then I go on three day binges, like today :( It's got to the point where I can't have anything nice in the house because I will just eat the whole packet of biscuits, plus four bags of crisps, chocolate...you name it I'll have a go at eating it! Today has been one of those days. I ended up throwing out my boyfriend's pot of chocolate spread because I just couldn't stop eating it.

I'll stop there. I guess really I was just wondering if anyone on here has experienced anything similar and how they cured the problem. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Options
    It sounds like you have an eating disorder, and would probably fit some of the criteria for bulimia.
  • Options
    i get like that too. like, ill have a huge dinner and im full up, yet 10 minutes after ive finished im already in the biscuit tin and end up eating a loot more. even though i KNOW im not in the least bit hungry.

the other week i ended up eating 2 (family sized) bars of dairy milk within about half an hour plus a couple of packets of crisps. .. that was bad.

i cant really say how to cure it though.. in my case, ive just tried to have more will power. if i find myself heading for the kitchen then i stop myself by coming up with reasons why i shouldnt (ill get fat, ill feel sick afterwards etc).
    other than that.. i dont know.

maybe go see your gp and ask for some help with it there? there must be something that can be done to stop the binging
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I would never and have never made myself sick afterwards, I just sit and feel guilty and try and exercise as much of the food off in the following week. I might talk to my doc next time I go and see what she says. It just really gets me down sometimes, which is why I posted here.
  • Options
    -Justme- wrote:
    I just sit and feel guilty and try and exercise as much of the food off in the following week.

It was the above symptoms that made me think of bulimia, either way if it's a bad habit that's getting you down, a fix or some help is what you need rather than a label.