Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Or maybe it has, but I havn't seen it. Please direct me in the plac of it if it has.

Bush's English language amendment.
I'm a bit drunk but trying to get out what I think... I don't really have much of an opinion of it quite honestly. It's not that I don't care... its hard to explain right now. Growing up, we had a pretty poor school and in the foreign language department, by the time I graduated, Spanish was the only foreign language offerd. (Though I took french as I got it just in time.) I grew up in a town where "technically" the Hispanic population was 12%, though it honestly seemed at least 40%. Spanish was spoken everywhere. For the last 3 years I've lived in Chicago, very mulit cultural. I work in a place where Enlglish is the minority language. Many people speak Polish, Spanish, and (as ignorant as I am, I don't know what language) but Indian/Hindu. (God, I feel so stupid not knowing what language it is :()

I cannot speak any other language than English. I hate that fact. I took a few classes in highschool for French (before they took that away) but I know nothing.

Its my own fault that I don't know any other language. I get the wrong sandwich at Mcdonalds and I think its adorable when all the people at work can't tell me what they want, but its my own fault for not understanding.

I know alot of people I work with would not pass the citizen test. Hell, to be honest, I proably couldn't, and thats the only language I speak! I think that making English the official language will not only encourage more poeple to come over illigealy, but it also only satisifies the ignorant racist wants of our retared president. Thats all it accomplishes in my mind.

As I said, I don't even konw my opinion really on this, I just really want to know all of yours, as a different coutnry. Thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    Surely it makes sense that when entering a country and applying for citizenship that you can speak confidently that country's official language. It shouldn't make any difference whether that country is america or thailand.
  • Options
    Surely it makes sense that when entering a country and applying for citizenship that you can speak confidently that country's official language.

What, Navajo?
  • Options
    If it's beneficial for them to learn the language, they will. Otherwise, why force them?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    It is nothing like the cricket test! I would never go to live permanently in another country with out learning the language of the country. If you choose to live in another country you should accept that country as it is and want to be there and want to assimilate totally into that country. I have never been for this whole, take your way life with you attitude. You live somewhere else, you change your way of life, thats how it should be, including learning the language, i would if i was an immigrant.
  • Options
    You'd learn the language because you wouldn't get very far otherwise. Like I said, if it's beneficial to you, you'll do it voluntarily. Most immigrants are the same, but it's much easier to learn the language by living in another country, and learning while you're there. I don't see the need to force anyone.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    What, Navajo?
    Don't be a retard, I said official language.
  • Options
    i think the wording was changed from OFFICIAL Lanuage to NATIONAL Language.
  • Options
    Just to make the editing of this thread clear.

Continual attempts to ruin debates are considered the actions of a troll and will result in warnings or bannings. This is a thread about language requirements of state memberships. If you want to debate something else, start your own thread, if no one responds to that - it's because people are sick of hearing the same derailing garbage.

And if anyone was wondering if this warning 'doesn't exsist' - it does and it's directed at Klintock
  • Options
    There is no state.

That being the case I cannot see anything more relevent to the requirement of being a member of one.
  • Options
    If you want to be banned, continue to ignore the topics of threads - if you want to discuss the exsistence of states then you can start your own thread rather than trying to ruin others.
  • Options
    languages changes, languages die, its pointless nationalism really

as long as they can get by who gives a toss imo having an official language over a long time makes things really complicated, in my degree i h ave to remember outdated ways of doing things for conventions sake, like lawyers need to know latin terms etc
  • Options
    If you want to be banned, continue to ignore the topics of threads

Yes, of course. What a state actually is is completely irrelevent to a thread discussing the things a citizen needs to do to belong to one, isn't it?

Totally unrelated. I can see my error now. :rolleyes:
    if you want to discuss the exsistence of states then you can start your own thread rather than trying to ruin others.

You mean insist upon a factual basis for discussion? Oh, ok didn't realise that was a no-no. Perhaps a thread about what the easter bunny is up to this year or how much santa should pay his elves would be in order.

Ach whatever. just ban me already.
  • Options
    Well based on that and your Pms I don't really have a choice.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Yes, of course. What a state actually is is completely irrelevent to a thread discussing the things a citizen needs to do to belong to one, isn't it?

Totally unrelated. I can see my error now. :rolleyes:

You mean insist upon a factual basis for discussion? Oh, ok didn't realise that was a no-no. Perhaps a thread about what the easter bunny is up to this year or how much santa should pay his elves would be in order.

Ach whatever. just ban me already.

klintok though you've made your opinions clear on almost every thread on the same argument, you could just not post unless you have something to add
  • Options
    klintok though you've made your opinions clear on almost every thread on the same argument, you could just not post unless you have something to add
    What he thinks of this, we may never know. Anyway, back to the thread about the language. Congress has decided not to make English the national language of the USA. A fair enough decision, I believe. Their national language is not a matter I have much of an opinion on. However, I believe that the USA should make amends for the way it villified one nation in particular just before the Iraq war - and thus make French its official language. :p
  • Options
    :lol:

I really don't agree with demanding that people learn the language as a condition of their immigration.

Why? English is the de facto language of America, immigrants should at least make an effort to learn it. And it's just practical that they do.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I just don't think it should be forced, that's all.
    They shouldn't be forced if they can't be bothered to learn a bit of the language, just not allowed to get citizen status and jobs and/or benefits that come with it.

The idea is that immigrant workers contribute to society. That's why skilled workers and tradespeople such as plumbers, joiners etc are more likely to get accepted. They aren't going to contribute as much if they only ever talk to their family or small group of people in a different language.

It's not like it's asking much. Why should immigration be synonymous with an easy free lunch?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Why? English is the de facto language of America, immigrants should at least make an effort to learn it. And it's just practical that they do.
    thats what some welsh people have tried telling me the last twenty years i'vre lived here ...my answer?
    try telling that to the 90% of welsh people who can't speak it and can't be bothered learning it ...then i'll consider it.
  • Options
    Welsh isn't the official language of the UK though.
  • Options
    Do American troops and private contractors working in Iraq speak fluent Arabic?
  • Options
    As I understand it, they're not applying for citizenship.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    No, but tourists aren't required to speak the language.
  • Options
    rubbish.

i think the issue of making english the official language, denying services to thos who cant speak it, is just a back door policy to unermine other cultures, especially the spaniards. plus its a way to prevent the spanish/latin culture taking base in the US thus lessening the chance of the trends occuring in south america coming to the US.

switzerland has three different languages and they seem to get their trains on time. plus most people know how to speak the three languages. most americans are lucky to even master the english language.

the ruling elite of america are mostly anglo/european decent. the prominent culture in america comes from english culture. the lands from america ar bought from the french and spanish by the american (english) settlers. so the ruling elite would anturally want to preserve teh status quo.
  • Options
    thats what some welsh people have tried telling me the last twenty years i'vre lived here ...my answer?
    try telling that to the 90% of welsh people who can't speak it and can't be bothered learning it ...then i'll consider it.
    Precisely. And more and more people who can speak Welsh are moving away, reducing numbers even further. Personally, I don't mind if someone can't speak a language very well. At least they're trying to learnit. I work for Haven, a company that employs quite a few people from abroad. At the moment, I'm helping a Slovakian girl and a Polish guy to learn English. It's not easy, but I can see they want to learn. Which is a hell of a lot more than I can see in most.
  • Options
    Is it actually too much to ask of someone?

I have my reservations about the approach, but you have to question whether Bush is asking too much or just an acceptable level. You have to ask that if someone cannot be bother to learn the language of a nation, then how committed to that country are they when they are asking for citizenship - with the benefits which that brings...?
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:

:rolleyes: Erm US troops and private contractors aren't immigrants to Iraq, it’s a pointless and ridiculous comparison. Anyway as far as I understand quite a lot of private contractors speak Arabic, a lot of the private contractors have previously worked in Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Kuwait and the UAE so will be generally more familiar with Arabic than US troops.
  • Options
    :rolleyes: Erm US troops and private contractors aren't immigrants to Iraq, it’s a pointless and ridiculous comparison. Anyway as far as I understand quite a lot of private contractors speak Arabic, a lot of the private contractors have previously worked in Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Kuwait and the UAE so will be generally more familiar with Arabic than US troops.

Oh, it's just something to think about, not necessarily a direct comparison. And :rolleyes: yourself. :p

If the Americans are complaining about people not learning English, when there are hundreds of thousands of them in Iraq and Afghanistan, especially the ones making money out of rebuilding/oil related things. Which is the 'better' kind of immigrant, permanent or otherwise?
  • Options
    more familiar with Arabic than US troops.
    Not difficult, to be fair.