Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Baby names

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If we have a girl, its either going to be Eoife or Aithne, although I do love the name Niamh. We like Irish names, and we have a surname which makes them work.

Ain't got a clue about boys really. I like the name Luke a lot, and I like the name Dylan and Jack, but every little boy is either called Dylan or Jack these days.
  • Options
  • Options
    I like Elle/Ella for a girl also Lily. For boys I like Thomas. My boyfriend likes the name Aquilla for a girl :no:

My brother wants to call his kids Clinton, Lennox, Junior. My Mum was horrified when he told us, she's hoping he's gonna have girls.
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    How would you pronounce oonagh and padraig, i'm pants with the whole pronounciation thing!

i have a housemate called "padraic" and its pronounced "porrick"

so tempting to call him porridge :lol:
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    Oisin (pron - Oshing) is a good one for a boy.

That was what I used to want to call my son, well back when I was about eight and loved the old Tir na n-Og story. I suppose you can't go wrong with the old poet/warrior namesake :thumb:

I think Orlaith, Saoirse and Meabh are gorgeous Irish girls names, while I'm on the topic. If I were to be traditional I'd probably go for Brigid and Máiréad.

Too many lovely names.
  • Options
    Girl: Emma
    Boy: Scott
  • Options
    Lil Laura wrote:
    At the moment, I like Oliver, William and Andrew. I told a mate those and she's planning to steal Oliver and William, so I'm either gonna have to have my kids first, or if necessary I'm willing to sever all contact to keep my boys' names. :| I also like George (family name), Benjamin, Daniel, Aiden, Harry, Charlie, Thomas.. there's a fair few.

i like all your names. i may steal some.

with the exception of oliver, as in my experience, they all grow up to be complete tossers. :yes:

oh, and on the subject of names, i have been told by a few teacher associates that people should avoid calling their sons luke or liam as they almost always end up as little bastards. one went so far as to say that when she looks as a register of her new class, she can usually tell just by the name which will be naughty and which will be angels. jessicas are buggers too, apparently.
  • Options
    Wasn't there a thread about something similar a while ago? There was a survey done of teachers, and they could tell which names would be trouble. Kieran, and anything spelt unusually.
  • Options
    Wasn't there a thread about something similar a while ago? There was a survey done of teachers, and they could tell which names would be trouble. Kieran, and anything spelt unusually.

unusually spelt names :yuck:

what's the point? you're only going to give your kid so much hassle having to correct everyone who mispells their name (i.e. spelling their name properly).
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    unusually spelt names :yuck:

what's the point? you're only going to give your kid so much hassle having to correct everyone who mispells their name (i.e. spelling their name properly).

either that or people assume you're an idiot parent who just can't spell. i know that's what i assume.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    either that or people assume you're an idiot parent who just can't spell. i know that's what i assume.

I know someone who said that to me last week. A few people were trying to guess how I spelt my name and when I told them, they mentioned something about my parents either being stupid (not being able to spell) or just plain awkward.
  • Options
    I'd like 2 or 3 girls named Venus, Josephine, or Delilah.

I'm hoping I don't have a boy.. I know it seems unfair - its not my choice.. but.. pfft. I guess I would call him Rocket.
  • Options
    I've got a guinea pig called Rocket.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    I'd like 2 or 3 girls named Venus, Josephine, or Delilah.

I'm hoping I don't have a boy.. I know it seems unfair - its not my choice.. but.. pfft. I guess I would call him Rocket.

I like Delilah
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

:lol:

So true! In the last year I have had a few of them!

And my current class Jessica is an annoying little madam.
  • Options
    Is that two mentions of Delilah, now? I think it's an alright name but if I remember rightly it literally means something like "one who weakened another"... it doesn't exactly have great connotations to me, unless you subscribe to the sympathetic, Milton-esque Delilah. She and Samson are ye olde Sunderland mascots though...

I definitely think there are "negative" names which are far worse than "unique" spelling etc - like calling your daughter Jezabel (though I kind of like it) or your son Judas :p Also, there were a lot of Adolfs kicking about in Germany and Austria 60 years ago, not so many now... Oh, how I love to rain on people' parades... it is quite interesting, though.

I suppose a lot of people just go for a name they think sounds nice, I think far too much for things to be that simple.
  • Options
    i like amy or lucy for a girl
    and Reece/Rhys however its spelt! or Riley for a boy.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Is that two mentions of Delilah, now? I think it's an alright name but if I remember rightly it literally means something like "one who weakened another"... it doesn't exactly have great connotations to me, unless you subscribe to the sympathetic, Milton-esque Delilah. She and Samson are ye olde Sunderland mascots though...

Freddie Mercury's favourite cat

Does that mean Delilah is the name of a gay mans favourite pussy? I couldn't do that to my children. ;)
  • Options
    Does that mean Delilah is the name of a gay mans favourite pussy?

It would certainly seem that way... :p
  • Options
    Girls - Lyra Grae, Bethan and Lirael
    Boys - I have middle names for definate, Alexandar and William, but I dunno about first names.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    Girls - Lyra Grae, Bethan and Lirael
    Boys - I have middle names for definate, Alexandar and William, but I dunno about first names.

They are both (almost) the boy's middle name. Except he is Alex William :yes:

Useless information for ya :p
  • Options
    Sugar wrote:
    i like amy or lucy for a girl
    and Reece/Rhys however its spelt! or Riley for a boy.

Reece can be spelt both ways I think.