Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Career vs. love

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Soooo hypothetical question...

You're a young person who is passionate about your career, but you are also in love with a really nice person. And then your dream job comes up, it's a once in a life time opportunity to do what you always wanted but to get there you have to move away, your partner can't come with you.

So would you stay, or would you go and break off the relationship?

Comments

• Options
    stay without a doubt...
  • Options
    If i was in love, then that would win hands down to the detriment of all else.

Im a twat like that.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I'd take the job. If it was meant to be then, somehow, the relationship would work out.
  • Options
    Been there, answered that. We now live 150 miles apart as a result! :(

ETA: We are still very much together and madly in love. Just takes work.
  • Options
    Take the job. I am obvioulsy going to be a lonely spinster when im old. :(
  • Options
    Take the job. I am obvioulsy going to be a lonely spinster when im old. :(

No you're not, just need for the good one to come along and everything will be just fine...
  • Options
    No you're not, just need for the good one to come along and everything will be just fine...

Yeah I hope your right..

Good point though because I'm sure my opinion would be different if i had met the right one.
  • Options
    Yeah I hope your right..

I am right :)
    Good point though because I'm sure my opinion would be different if i had met the right one.

I'm sure it will, when you find true love nothing else matter, only love does...
  • Options
    I'd probabley go for the love option, there would be other jobs i guess.

Saying that it does depend if it was a relationship of 2 months as opposed to 2 years the choices would probabley be different, i might be more inclined to go, i dunno i guess it just depends.
  • Options
    I don't understand how anyone could take a job over love... jobs come and go... true love last forever...

Also I understand taking the job if it is a basic relationship and not the love of your life, yur soulmate...
  • Options
    I don't understand how anyone could take a job over love... jobs come and go... true love last forever...

Also I understand taking the job if it is a basic relationship and not the love of your life, yur soulmate...

Off topic: Do you believe you only get one soul mate?
  • Options

Only one true one, yes...

after sometimes you can belive you found it, but you were wrong...
  • Options
    Only one true one, yes...

after sometimes you can belive you found it, but you were wrong...

Yeah I agree with that. Ive thought it before about someone but it wasn't true deep love that you have with a soul mate. You are lucky to have found yours. :love:

Another off topic (sorry OP): Is it possible to be in love with someone when they don't love you back? in your opinion
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    If you're meant to be together, then you'll find a way to make it work despite the distance, and if not, then it wasn't true love anyway.

Yup.

If it really is true love, you'll work at it and be determined to keep it going. Yeah, distance sucks but circumstances change and you might not be apart for long.

Unless your job is as a space marine on Mars :nervous:
  • Options
    If you're meant to be together, then you'll find a way to make it work despite the distance, and if not, then it wasn't true love anyway.
    If youre meant to be together, then you wouldnt be able to live apart.
    If you can quite happily live apart and actively choose a LDR when you dont have to, then i think we probably have a vastly different idea of love.
  • Options
    Because I don't believe in soulmates, so there's no reason to think that true love lasts forever.

I have had true love, been so deeply in love that I thought I would die if he left me...but that relationship ended, and I survived, and met someone else who i love very much, but if he left me, I know I'd survive too. True love doesn't always last forever, and I think putting too much pressure on it, like sacrificing your dreams for it, is a quick way to damage it.

Maybe it was not true love then... or at least not a 2 way one... of course you survive and you'll always survive...

The question was that if you don't stay you go and break up the relationship, not that you would go away and have a long distance relationsip... otherwise of course long distance relationship can work if there is love...
  • Options
    Another off topic (sorry OP): Is it possible to be in love with someone when they don't love you back? in your opinion

Yes it is possible, but it feels like hell on earth...
  • Options
    Yes it is possible, but it feels like hell on earth...

Aww don't say that. Someone told me today that they were in love with me and I told them it was impossible because I didn't love them back. Oh I feel like a bitch.

Back to the orginal topic:

I think if you were truely and utterly madly in love with somebody then I'm sure the thought of moving away from them for whatever reason would be unbearable to consider. I've never been in the position so thats why I choose the job.
  • Options

Nope... Don't believe in 'deastiny' or 'soul mates' or anything... 'destiny' less, but I've never experienced a soul mate.

I'd go for the job I'm afraid and anybody who goes in to a relationship with me needs to know that I am first and foremost a career woman (haha some people hate that, apprently I should be settling down with kids not studying), which sounds harsh but that's just me. If they loved me back they'd understand and let me go.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I think you can be truly in love and it end - of course it can.
    I do think thats different from soul mates though.
  • Options
    i'd go because i'm sure i'd find someone else to fall in love with.
  • Options
    what if you were married to the person you were in love with?
  • Options
    what if you were married to the person you were in love with?
    if i'm married then i would have made a life-long commitment to them so i would not leave them.
  • Options
    Well not by your definition, because you've already decided that true love lasts forever. But I don't agree with that definition - what Ihad with my ex was true love, there's no other accurate way to describe it, but it didn't last. There's no reason to assume that true love lasts forever, other than that you have decided so, but why is that the rule?

Well if it's those two choices, then I'd go. I don't believe in soulmates, and if I was lucky enough to fall in love with someone once, it'll happen again, in a situation that doesn't require either of us to make an unreasonable sacrifice.

There is no rules to love, I'm just saying, as you said, my definition of it... But if 2 people love each other truly and deeply, why would it end then? It can only end if one or the other doesn't have enough love for the other one... and if it is the case then it's not what I call true love... I think we mainly disagree (well sort of) cos we do not have the same definition of true love...
  • Options
    I'd go.

Staying would be too much like putting all your eggs in one basket (or putting all your money on one horse, either works) and that's something I've never done and would never do.

If the relationship was such that it then proved able to survive the distance and time apart then it would do just that -- and of course it'd be a relationship I'd be ecstatic to have. If it screeched to a halt when I left or petered out then I'd still have my dream job, prospects in a new place both romantically and otherwise... and hopefully a lot of happy memories which are nothing to be sniffed at :)
  • Options
    But everyone seems to say there is no guarantees that love will last and all, but what tells you the job will do?

A new job is a much bigger risk, you have no idea where you are going, how you would fit in the environment, if your boss will be satisfied ad all of that...

also you can find love again, but how can you be so sure you will find someone that love you as much as the partner you are leaving?

If love that last forever would never exist, well we would be leaving in a really sad world... believe it or not, but there is more people that love each other until they die that people who keep their job until they retire...