Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Degree in Europe

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi

I'm a bit concerned about the tuition fees in the UK. Don't fancy starting work masses in debt and so I've been thinking about doing my bachelor in Norway (I've heard the tuition fees are free and some places teach in English).

Has anyone else thought of doing their Bachelor degree elsewhere? Anyone got experience of studying in Norway? Or any suggestions on another place to study Business in Europe?

Thanks
Kate
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Free for natives or foreign students?

I don't know if they are, we have quite a few Norweigan students studying here... Why would they come to the UK if their degrees are prestigious and free?

I'd like to do my Masters in Australia. :) May have to work a year first.
  • Options
    Education in Norway up to and including uni level doesn't cost the student anything but you have to pay for like your books etc.

To be honest, most students end up with student debt...near enough everyone is in the same boat but it shouldn't worry you too much. Loan rate is linked to inflation. I'll owe about £12k when I graduate but I'll only have like £35 taken away from my wages each month.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I guess the education system in Norway can't be that bad. They don't have as much choice of courses as in the UK which is why I think alot come over here. And also to practice their English (and cheaper beer).

I accept that I'm going to end up in debt, just looking around for some other alternatives to just spending 3 years in the UK and maybe not get in quite so much debt.

A friend of mine is looking into doing 2 years in Czech Republic (costs only £500 per year for tuition and really cheap place to live) and then he can transfer to year 3 of the bachelor in the UK so gets the best of both worlds - quality degree qualification, but enjoys 2 years of Czech beer!!

Anyone got any other thoughts on this (doing a bachelor abroad)? Or should I just put up with the fees in the UK and get on with the UCAS application?
  • Options
    erm thing is, check if the university in question in the uk would allow you to transfer to the third year of a degree after you did one in the czech republic
  • Options
    What you save on uni fees, you'll pay back (if not more) on living expenses. Norway is the most expensive country in Europe, if not in the world.
    But yes, they probably would teach on the basis of English text-books.
  • Options
    As others have said, even if you save on fees you will lose it on living costs. Norway is very very expensive. A lot of English students come to study in Scotland because the tuition fees are lower but then again our degrees are four years long and not three.