Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is Islam evil?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Found this article very interesting,

http://www.faithfreedom.org/oped/JasonPappas40401.htm

Comments

• Options
    Very thought-provoking piece, thanks for posting it. In my view the answer to the question is NO, but Islam, like Christianity before it, needs a "reformation" to accommodate its place within 21st century society.
  • Options
    No, no religion is inherently evil. But there are those who will exploit the idea to justify their actions and to keep people in their place..
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    No, no religion is inherently evil. But there are those who will exploit the idea to justify their actions and to keep people in their place..

What? Not even, for instance, the Thugees?
  • Options
    Couldn't read any more neo-con balls after I got to:
    Most Americans are shocked at the notion of an evil America . Considering our history, the attack on our country's character is hard to fathom. Over the last two centuries immigrants came in droves, seeking refuge from tyranny and poverty. They found unequalled freedom and opportunity secured by a stable democracy. During that time, totalitarian barbarity threatened to consume the world. America played a crucial role in defeating European and Japanese fascism in WWII. However, Europe was left in ruins and half enslaved by Communism. In Asia, Japan was in ruins and China soon became Communist. We then faced the Communist strain of totalitarianism; one that would result in the deaths of 100 million people and threatened to engulf the world. Once again, our military might was crucial. We contained Communism until it fell of its own internal contradictions. In short, America has saved civilization.

:lol:

Edited to say:
    After some further investigation:
    I receive many mails from angry Muslims who sometimes beg me and sometimes order me to remove this site. None of that has any effect on me. I consider both pleading and bullying, the signs of psychopathology, a personality disorder affecting all the followers of Muhammad.

If you disagree with my site and want me to remove it, instead of acting as bully or as victim, I invite you to disprove my charges against Muhammad and Islam. If you can show that what I say is unfounded I promise to remove this site not before confessing that I was wrong and Islam is a true religion. I will also pay

$50,000 U.S. dollars

to anyone who can disprove my charges and prove Islam is a true religion in an objective (not subjective) way. This is to thank you for showing me the right way. Hey, what is $50.000 dollars compared to being burned and tortured by a sadistic deity?

What an idiot.

Also:
    I accuse Muhammad of being:

a rapist
    a pedophile (had sex with a child)
    an assassin
    a mass murderer
    a ruthless torturer
    a terrorist (I have been made victorious through terror)
    a lecher
    a misogynist
    a narcissist
    a thief and plunderer
    a cult leader
    a mentally deranged (was paranoid, heard voices, hallucinated of seeing jinns, Satan and angels, used to think he had sex with his wives when he did not, suffered from depression and had suicidal tendencies).

Fairly typical American/fundicon/Christian fundamentalist drivel...hate propaganda.
  • Options
    Replace "america" with "nuclear weapons" in the last sentence and it sounds half correct.
  • Options
    carlito wrote:
    Couldn't read any more neo-con drivel after I got to:

:lol:
    America and modesty don't go toegether well do they?
  • Options
    Considering our history, the attack on our country's character is hard to fathom.

Something the author of the piece, like so many who casually rattle off this soundbite, obviously has NOT done. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    carlito wrote:
    Fairly typical American/fundicon/Christian fundamentalist drivel...hate propaganda.
    Doesn't a piece like this really bring out the unthinking "hate-everything- American-brigade" - you can almost predict their reactions and their vocabulary! :)
  • Options
    Tugger wrote:
    Doesn't a piece like this really bring out the unthinking "hate-everything- American-brigade" - you can almost predict their reactions and their vocabulary! :)
    I think it brings out the "hate nationalistic-dickheads-who-can't-see-past-the-end-of-their-own-nose" brigade, more.
  • Options
    It certainly is the rallying call for the "how dare you expose our criminal abuses of power while we try to point your attention everywhere else" brigade.
  • Options
    Interesting article from the Telegraph I came across earlier...I’d agree with Moore, he puts some of the factually correct observations made in the original article posted on this thread into context. For instance while it’s true that Mohammed was in his 50s when he managed Aisha who was believed to have been 8 or 9 etiquette concerning marriage differed and the nature of the marriage isn’t what it is in modern society. Hence the paedophile label isn’t really fair.

The original article isn’t particularly eloquent and it’s unnecessarily offensive in places, it’s not very helpful. Although it’s right to recognise that a form of Islam practiced by many – but not all Muslims; and rejected by a significant number is backwards, barbaric and incompatible with any civilised society. Converting to Christianity is punishable by death in Iran and Saudi Arabia, in accordance with Muslim law. And as any Arab Jew (who prior to being exiled from the Arab world) would affirm, along with Arab Christians – non Muslims in the Arab world as dhimmis are treated as second class citizens. (Although following the Jewish exodus from Arab lands Israel absorbed most of the 800,000 Jewish refugees). Muslims in the West rightly expect to be treated equally, it’s unfortunate that more don’t speak out about the vile and indefensible inequalities in Muslim countries.

And while all religions have extremist elements, it’s implausible to imagine the cartoons controversy and Salmon Rushdie episodes occurring in Christianity or Buddhism. Salmon Rushdie, years on after publishing the Satanic Verses is still under constant protection and he still receives continual death threats from intolerant Muslims. The disgusting behaviour of thousands of Muslims towards Rushdie is certainly incomparable to the disapproval of Catholics concerning Dan Brown’s the Da Vinci Code...

Islam it seems is divided between reactionary, illiberal elements incompatible with modern society and progressive and forward thinking Muslims that reject literal Islamic rules of intolerance and barbarity. Unfortunately I’m not so sure the latter is winning. It’s unhelpful however when such articles as the one originally posted in this thread don’t distinguish between the two camps.
  • Options
    There's two strands of Islam, one is more reactionary than the more liberal strand, and from that you'll get a few nutters alright. Though it's not an evil religion in itself, was talking to a Pakistani student here in Belfast and we had quite a long discussion on it. Basically it's not evil.
  • Options
    As for those who are slain in the cause of Allah, He will not allow their works to perish. He will vouchsafe them guidance and ennoble their state; He will admit them to the Paradise He has made known to them. - 10:4-15

Allah has cursed the unbelievers and proposed for them a blazing hell. - 33:60

Unbelievers are enemies of Allah and they will roast in hell. - 41:14

Allah is an enemy to unbelievers. - Sura 2:98

On unbelievers is the curse of Allah. - Sura 2:161

Slay them wherever ye find them and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. - 2:191

Those who believe fight in the cause of God, and those who reject faith fight in the cause of evil. - 4:76

So much peace and love, eh :yeees:
  • Options
    As for those who are slain in the cause of Allah, He will not allow their works to perish. He will vouchsafe them guidance and ennoble their state; He will admit them to the Paradise He has made known to them. - 10:4-15

Slay them wherever ye find them and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. - 2:191

Those who believe fight in the cause of God, and those who reject faith fight in the cause of evil. - 4:76

Well, the old testamement can be pretty brutal too but if you are looking at the single personality who was DIRECTLY responsible for the most deaths while he was alive :

Muhammed = Hundreds of thousands

Jesus Christ = Nil
  • Options

Fuck off you wee cunt.
  • Options

Oh well there's an original 'argument'. :rolleyes: You could probably prove that The Wizard of Oz has a violent message by taking a few quotes out of context.
  • Options
    "Evil" Bible quotes:

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

In India until fairly recently woman had to throw themselves on the burning funeral pyre of their deceases husbands. The People's Republic of China is officially secular and atheist yet has a terrble human rights record.

Firstly, the definition of what is "evil" depends on the culture and the religion, in Buddhism there is no sin or evil for example. But to apply a label of what is "evil" to members of an entire religion is arrogance.
  • Options
    The People's Republic of China is officially secular and atheist yet has a terrble human rights record.
    it's good to live a a secular society, people are free to bielieve anything as long as those bielieve doesn't make people demonstrate self killing in front of you like falungon.

chinese human right, do you mean the USA sponsored human right group. :D
  • Options
    . But to apply a label of what is "evil" to members of an entire religion is arrogance.

If you read the article you will find he is careful to point out that this is not what he is saying.

He is talking about the ideology, the actions that are motivated by a true belief, rather than the people.....
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    He is talking about the ideology, the actions that are motivated by a true belief, rather than the people.....
    Well if he chooses to interpret it that way, then that's fair enough. But 'Islam' wouldn't be to blame for his interpretation of it, or any actions he carries out as a result of that.
  • Options
    Just read it then you will see what he is talking about.........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Just read it then you will see what he is talking about.........
    That's a good point, I haven't actually read it yet. I was just going off what you said he was saying. But I'm (supposed to be) working, so I'll have to do it later. :p
  • Options
    "Evil" Bible quotes:

In India until fairly recently woman had to throw themselves on the burning funeral pyre of their deceases husbands.

They didnt have too and it wasn't that widespread, if i remember a wikipeia article correctly.
  • Options
    achinese wrote:
    it's good to live a a secular society, people are free to bielieve anything as long as those bielieve doesn't make people demonstrate self killing in front of you like falungon.

chinese human right, do you mean the USA sponsored human right group. :D
    No, I mean torturing Tibetans for having pictures of the 'seperatist' Dalai Lama, restricted internet access, horrible prisons, killing Buddhist monks, inprisoning old ladies for sending newspaper clippings home, putting a six year old under house arrest, a huge death penalty count and so on.

You are not free to openly believe anything in those sorts of conditions, in the UK you cannot even openly believe some things.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    If you read the article you will find he is careful to point out that this is not what he is saying.

I haven't had time to read the full article, but will.

And to apply the label of 'evil' to members of a religion is still arrogance in my eyes.
  • Options
    No, I mean torturing Tibetans for having pictures of the 'seperatist' Dalai Lama, restricted internet access, horrible prisons, killing Buddhist monks, inprisoning old ladies for sending newspaper clippings home, putting a six year old under house arrest, a huge death penalty count and so on.

to tell the true, most of chinese people cannot tolerate any separate movement. this is part of culture, if you know a little bit of chinese history, (xi zhang) tibet and taiwan has always been part of china, and will always be. the chinese has lost its influence in tibet after 8 years of civil war and war 2, the tibetan fall back to slave age , the living stand has improved after we take it back. the human right of few evil monk still worth it to win the good living of general population of (xi zhang) tibet. by the way, xi zhang is the name that's been given to tibet many dynasties ago
  • Options
    Interesting piece, i gather, i was hardly taken with it.

In response i agree that Islam like most religions before it has not yet grown or evolved to a developed level. It is after all the youngest/newest of the worlds largest religions. It has only been around since Muhammed created it with his take on the "word of God".

Also, Muhammed was a warrior poet, he formed an entire religion and nearly united an entire race of people under one religion. The fact that he kept slaves, waged wars, killed, etc, is nothing out of time or character or place in history. You can not judge him by todays standards of how a person should behave, it would be like judging Napolean for trying to conquer all of Europe, The Vikings for raping and piliging, The Romans for attempting global conquest or the Mongul hoards of sweeping across Asia killing or enslaving all who defied them. You can not judge.

Finally, no Islam is not evil.
  • Options
    achinese wrote:
    to tell the true, most of chinese people cannot tolerate any separate movement. this is part of culture, if you know a little bit of chinese history, (xi zhang) tibet and taiwan has always been part of china, and will always be. the chinese has lost its influence in tibet after 8 years of civil war and war 2, the tibetan fall back to slave age , the living stand has improved after we take it back. the human right of few evil monk still worth it to win the good living of general population of (xi zhang) tibet. by the way, xi zhang is the name that's been given to tibet many dynasties ago
    remember me old china many people here don't realy grasp cultural diffences.
    they moan all day long about the western system ...then support it when it comes to forcing it on other people.
    the western system tends to invade rape murder destroy and rob ...other people rather than their own ...this seems to make it ok.
    spolilt rotten most of them ...health care economiuc security etc.
    it's very easy to look down their noses at other systems from this lofty positiion.
  • Options
    remember me old china many people here don't realy grasp cultural diffences.
    they moan all day long about the western system ...then support it when it comes to forcing it on other people.
    the western system tends to invade rape murder destroy and rob ...other people rather than their own ...this seems to make it ok.
    spolilt rotten most of them ...health care economiuc security etc.
    it's very easy to look down their noses at other systems from this lofty positiion.

yeah, I was newbie back then when i first saw you here, now i'm a fast newbie, a long way to go :yippe:
  • Options
    With respect achinese I couldn’t care less what you think about Tibet, Taiwan or the disgusting regime that the Chinese government is. With the rigorous censorship ingrained at every level of society in China, government propaganda from a young age and the non-existence of academic freedom, a free press and the restriction of access to anything remotely critical of the criminals that run China – it would be ridiculous and unrealistic to assume that somebody within China could form a balanced and reasoned opinion.

You say ‘tibet and taiwan have always been part of china, and always will be’ – I assume you therefore reject the ideal of self-determination. If Tibetans and Taiwanese do not want to be ruled by the Chinese government unless you’re a backward colonialist scumbag you cannot support Chinese occupation.