Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

A Labour MP talking sense!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Its good to see a Labour MP talking sense, a rare occasion if ever there was one. Frank Field said that hard-working and law abiding families should be given priority over the homeless, feckless single mothers, and asylum seekers in the queue for council homes. He went on to demand a shift in emphasis so that people who make the most contribution to their neighbourhood are rewarded with decent housing.

A hard-hitting report by Shelter found that Labour's failure to address the crisis in social housing could be fuelling support for the Nazi BNP. It found that a chronic shortage of council housing was creating a "blame culture" in which some white people perceived that ethnic minorities were given preference on waiting lits.

John Cruddas, a former adviser at no.10, and the Dagenham MP where the BNP made its biggest breakthrough in last week's council elections, said, "There are real issues in terms of policy failure of the government around access to social housing."

Its refreshing to hear such honest comments.

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Toss off.

What do you have against the Homeless? I am supprised you aren't right behind
    New Labour's right wing stance, they've had it for ages, since they became "New" Labour.

And my person view... as there might be a topic here... is that if you work, you can have a house. If you don't work without a good reason, then fuck off.
  • Options
    How's Chalfont St. Peters nowadays?
  • Options
    Tugger wrote:
    Its good to see a Labour MP talking sense, a rare occasion if ever there was one. Frank Field said that hard-working and law abiding families should be given priority over the homeless, feckless single mothers, and asylum seekers in the queue for council homes. He went on to demand a shift in emphasis so that people who make the most contribution to their neighbourhood are rewarded with decent housing.

:eek:

However, I'd be genuinely interested to know what is meant by "contribution" and how exactly they will measure who has "contributed" the most...
  • Options
    Tugger wrote:
    Its good to see a Labour MP talking sense, a rare occasion if ever there was one. Frank Field said that hard-working and law abiding families should be given priority over the homeless, feckless single mothers, and asylum seekers in the queue for council homes.

what about prostitutes?
  • Options
    I quite agree.

I would actually go one stage further. I would execute all single mothers, and put their children in a big pit and let them starve to death.

Kill all single mothers! Kill their offspring! Only then will Britannia Rule once more!
  • Options
    Frank Field's actual comments.

Having read what he actually has to say he raises some very worthwhile points. I haven’t decided whether I entirely agree with him or not but Frank Field is definitely worth listening to. He’s one of our most intelligent MPs and definitely one of the best Labour MPs in the House and I think you’d have to be very simple to misconstrue his comments as those of some reactionary single mother despising moral guardian.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    How's Chalfont St. Peters nowadays?

:D

Thought that myself!
  • Options
    What the hell is a 'feckless single mother'?

Of course homeless people should be a priority rather than people who are already in accommodation.

I agree there is a lack of affordable housing for people who work and are not entitled to council housing but that hardly means we should put single mothers and homeless people on the streets.

Also, asylum seekers are not housed by the local council, they are housed by NASS, usually in private housing or hostels.
  • Options
    what I think some people like Tugger forget is that the key word about single mothers, is MOTHERS, seriously you're not putting one person on the street, you're putting a family there.
  • Options
    To say that single mothers aren't important enough is stupid.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    what I think some people like Tugger forget is that the key word about single mothers, is MOTHERS, seriously you're not putting one person on the street, you're putting a family there.
    Lets be clear about one thing - we're talking about a small moniority and its not just mums, its dads too. I have a lot of respect for any single parent faced with the prospect of bringing up children on their own, its not an easy life by any stretch of the imagination. The pressures are great.

But there is no denying the fact that a small minority are irresponsible ("feckless"), self-centred, and make no contribution whatsoever towards society in general and their communities in particular. Why should this group be favoured above others when it comes to council housing lists? Frank Field, probably one of the handful of Labour MP's I have time for spoke of "fairness", a concept readily understood by Britons, and it is this concept that needs to at the heart of the issue.
  • Options
    So what you are saying is those who are single mothers and choose to be stay at home mums whilst the children are young, shoudn't get help right?
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Tugger wrote:
    Lets be clear about one thing - we're talking about a small moniority and its not just mums, its dads too. I have a lot of respect for any single parent faced with the prospect of bringing up children on their own, its not an easy life by any stretch of the imagination. The pressures are great.

But there is no denying the fact that a small minority are irresponsible ("feckless"), self-centred, and make no contribution whatsoever towards society in general and their communities in particular. Why should this group be favoured above others when it comes to council housing lists? Frank Field, probably one of the handful of Labour MP's I have time for spoke of "fairness", a concept readily understood by Britons, and it is this concept that needs to at the heart of the issue.
    So why exactly do you punish the child for the "crimes" of the parent?
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    So what you are saying is those who are single mothers and choose to be stay at home mums whilst the children are young, shoudn't get help right?
    No I'm not.
  • Options
    Perhaps you would like to clarify then...
  • Options
    Tugger wrote:

what about saddoes who brag on the internet about buying sex dolls and using prostitutes? saddoes who are complicit in the misery of the sex trade?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    what about saddoes who brag on the internet about buying sex dolls and using prostitutes? saddoes who are complicit in the misery of the sex trade?

Misery ? Perhaps you aren`t doing it right, Blagsta ? :D
  • Options
    what does john prescott have in common with flatpack furniture?

a few screws in the wrong place and the whole fucking cabinet collapses!
  • Options
    Frank Field's actual comments.

Having read what he actually has to say he raises some very worthwhile points. I haven’t decided whether I entirely agree with him or not but Frank Field is definitely worth listening to. He’s one of our most intelligent MPs and definitely one of the best Labour MPs in the House and I think you’d have to be very simple to misconstrue his comments as those of some reactionary single mother despising moral guardian.

I think I'd agree with this. The OP is very simple, as was proven in his previous incarnations as Chalfont St Peter's resident idiot.

I think he has a point, the perception that single mums and immigrants is causing problems in many working class communities. That has nothing to do with the single mothers and immigrants, and everything to do with the way the media and filth like the BNP market themselves. The reason why you can't get a council house isn't because the Tories and Labour sold them all off for peanuts, oh no, its because all those dirty foreign people are stealing our houses!

He is also right in saying that this perception needs to be fought and rectified before things will change. The BNP is a protest vote, and a sure fire way of getting funding into your town, as the people of Halifax proved many moons ago.

It's such a shame that you get the resident morons taking his comments and construing them as anti-immigrant.
  • Options
    The MP is talking sense. When one section of society is being put before others who haven't been in this country 5 minutes it is bound to spark trouble. For too long now, asylum seekers and immigrants have been put first before the British people. It is ridiculous and has resulted in many voting for the far right, even though they are not racist. The left can say what they like about the morality of voting for the far right.
    Labour needs to listen to their native supporters who are abandoning them. Give priority to those who deserve, not those who sponge and that goes for British people as well as asylum seekers and immigrants.
    Also, the concerns of those who are voting far right have been ignored and the views of the small minority have been heard for too long. More and more people will vote far right if this issue isn’t sorted out. I predict race riots in the future. It is a sad state of affairs but I blame this stupid government for doing nothing about it!
  • Options
    ....except of course, they don't get priority. They are perceived as getting priority but they don't. I do agree however that asylum seekers should not be resettled in already under-resourced poor neighbourhoods though. Unfortunately, richer neighbourhoods don't want them.
  • Options
    btw, hello lukesh. How are things in Stoke?
  • Options
    Isn't this sort of shite from MPs symptomatic of a nation receiving all of its 'high class' political information from the Sun and the Daily Mail?
  • Options
    Tugger wrote:

A hard-hitting report by Shelter found that Labour's failure to address the crisis in social housing could be fuelling support for the Nazi BNP. It found that a chronic shortage of council housing was creating a "blame culture" in which some white people perceived that ethnic minorities were given preference on waiting lits.

John Cruddas, a former adviser at no.10, and the Dagenham MP where the BNP made its biggest breakthrough in last week's council elections, said, "There are real issues in terms of policy failure of the government around access to social housing."

Its refreshing to hear such honest comments.
    This sickens me, it's heartless. Have you ever been hard up?

So... If a ten year old child frequently sees her mother getting beaten up, then the mother leaves her husband and takes the child too then she is feckless? Would you rather her and her children were on the streets or in a council house?

The homeless... What if somebody's house burns down and he is forced in to a bedsit, he loses his family, he becomes mentally ill and loses his job and ends up on the street... Do you think that he doesn't deserve a place to live and rebuild his life?

"Hard-working" families can surely afford a private tennancy.

Like I say, it's all very well targetting the vulnerable but I'd be surprised if any of the MP's supporting this idea ever lived in a council house, had beans on toast for sunday dinner and felt cold in the winer.
  • Options
    So... If a ten year old child frequently sees her mother getting beaten up, then the mother leaves her husband and takes the child too then she is feckless?

No, just appalling at picking a husband.
    Would you rather her and her children were on the streets or in a council house?

Just the two options are there?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    ....except of course, they don't get priority.
    :crazyeyes Of course they don't.
    Blagsta wrote:
    They are perceived as getting priority but they don't. I do agree however that asylum seekers should not be resettled in already under-resourced poor neighbourhoods though. Unfortunately, richer neighbourhoods don't want them.

We can't afford to house them in richer suburbs unless we take more of your taxes.

It's not just the issue of asylum and immigration that are causing people to vote far right, it's political correctness, no intergration etc.
    NHS hospitals, all the leaflets are in every language around the world except English. On St Georges day, the English flag could not be flown in Wetherspoons (In Hanley, Stoke, Staffs) because the police told them not to allow it. :banghead:

Amongst other things. It solely depends on where you live. There is a big debate on whether the people of Stoke are willing to allow a huge Mosque to be built in the city centre with one fo them caller things. This has produced a further 3 BNP councillors. When will they ever stop?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    btw, hello lukesh. How are things in Stoke?
    3 extra BNP councillors, many came close second. Labour has lost control of the council. So bad on one hand, great on the other.

However, it's still a dump, always will be with Labour.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    :crazyeyes Of course they don't.

No, they don't. Unless you still cling to the myth that they get free mobile phones, driving lessons etc. Your lies were fairly well demolished last time you were on these boards.
    luke88 wrote:
    We can't afford to house them in richer suburbs unless we take more of your taxes.

Whose we? You joined the cabinet now?
    luke88 wrote:
    It's not just the issue of asylum and immigration that are causing people to vote far right, it's political correctness, no intergration etc.
    NHS hospitals, all the leaflets are in every language around the world except English. On St Georges day, the English flag could not be flown in Wetherspoons (In Hanley, Stoke, Staffs) because the police told them not to allow it. :banghead:

I agree that single faith schools, lack of integration etc etc do contribute to racism. However, you repeating (and believing!) hearsay such as flags being banned in pubs also contributes. Stories like that hardly ever turn out to be true, but people like you choose to uncritically believe them because they suit your rather skewed view of the world.
    luke88 wrote:
    Amongst other things. It solely depends on where you live. There is a big debate on whether the people of Stoke are willing to allow a huge Mosque to be built in the city centre with one fo them caller things. This has produced a further 3 BNP councillors. When will they ever stop?

When wil who ever stop? :confused:
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    Isn't this sort of shite from MPs symptomatic of a nation receiving all of its 'high class' political information from the Sun and the Daily Mail?
    Why are you so intellectually snobbish? There's nothing wrong with the Sun & the Daily Mail, they're fonts of valuable information for the masses, don't try to denigrate them just because they're immensely popular with ordinary people.
  • Options
    \