Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Divorce question.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all some of you might remember me starting a thread and posting on others about divorce. I've done a search but cant find the topic i was looking for.

I got a nice message today which takes me 2 steps closer to being free of my cheating ex. Shes signing the mortgage paper work today and we're meeting to split the joint loan into two on saturday. YAY!!!!!

Only thing to go is the divorce. Due to money i'm not going to beable to to go via a solicitor (i'd perfer to do this but i just cant afford it). She said she wont contest the divorce or the reasons for it. Can anyone give me some info on doing it myself. I can remember someone saying about going to the family law court and picking you the paper work there.

Has anyone done this? can you let me know what happens. or i find this link any thing this would be a good idea? Divorce website

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    can't you call a citizen's advice bureau?

not sure about that website
  • Options
    Divorce can be done very quiet quickly all you have to do is fill in the paper work from the family court law and under the special procedure, the pettioner simply needs to lodge at the court the petition outlining the grounds for divorce e.g adultery or unreasonable behaviour by the respondant. If the petition is undefended the case is entered onto the special procedure list and the district judge just has to read throught the paper work, if he is happy that the petitioner has proved thier case then he prononuces a decree nisi, six weeks later you can apply for a decree absolute. Should take 3/4 moths in total. Forgot to mention must be married for at leasta year.

I like this question it help me with my revision for my family law exam on Friday.

Here is a good website for you to read Terry & Co Solicitors goes into is in a bit more detial for you, but should not be too difficult to understand I would start with a look at Grounds for a divorce and How long does it take. There is also a section on costs too.

Sorry can't advise you about wether or not to use that website you have found, but in theory I can't see why it would not work, but i would go for opition two ok, it costs more, but at least you have an actual solicitor dealing with your case and on the website I found it says it would cost in the range of £660., compared with option two at just under £400.