Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What does it take to get a Labour Minister to resign?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
They seem to cling on like limpets, whether its gross incompetence or sleaze, you just can't rid of them!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4946566.stm

Comments

• Options
    A bullet.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Ffft... Prescott and Clarke in the shit.

Although with Clarke it WAS more Tony's fault, he did tell Tony. And Tony didn't act tbh.
  • Options
    I'm not too bothered about Prescott... not should anyone else. Distasteful as the thought of him having sex might be, that is a private matter.

Charles Clarke however should go. His excuse that he doesn't want to resign because he has to put things right is laughable. Such monumental fuck-up can only have one consequence: the door.
  • Options
    I'm sure he said something yesterday about staying to get things 'under control'. The scary implication being...
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    A bullet.

Right on the button, or should that be trigger. :thumb:
  • Options
    As for Prescott, well, enough torries had to go for shagging around on the side, so he can go too. Not like he actually does anything at all, he is Deputy Prime Minister, he might as well be the Minister for bugger all.

Clarke...well he will survive, i cannot see them forcing him out or him resigning. He will survive to create policy another day.

Hewitt? Well, if she doesnt do something drastically for her image she is so gone! Jeered at a speach she gave, resoundly disliked for her attitude of more bosses less nurses and cheaper, cheaper, cheaper attitude towards NHS equipment. She may not do anything wrong apart from put her foot in her mouth but she wont survive if her image doesnt get sorted.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'm not too bothered about Prescott... not should anyone else. Distasteful as the thought of him having sex might be, that is a private matter.

Charles Clarke however should go. His excuse that he doesn't want to resign because he has to put things right is laughable. Such monumental fuck-up can only have one consequence: the door.

I agree. Clarke should go but as useless as he is the affair isn't in itself a reason for Prescott to go. Although if Prescott lies to his wife having an affair behind her back can the public trust him? But Prescott should go because he's useless not because he's had an affair.

But what happened to Labour’s campaign against Tory sleaze? What about Blair boasting that Labour would be ‘whiter than white’? Hypocrites...Labour sleaze, Ron Davies, the infamous ‘moment of madness’ and before the last election he was found lurking about in a motorway layby dogging hotspot. There's Mandelson (twice) and Blunkett (twice) - Tessa Jowell who's husband quite believably never told her about an easy few hundred grand to pay the mortgage for one of their luxury properties. And lets not forget Cherie Blair getting a conman to help her get a good deal on some flats... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Prescott's extra marital affairs should be his own problem, Clarke however is a furry faced arse who should resign and accept some responsability.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Not if he's ferrying his mistress around in a ministerial limo and bonking her at his grace & favour ministerial residence, both paid for by taxpayers. Its an abuse of his position.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    As for Prescott, well, enough torries had to go for shagging around on the side, so he can go too. Not like he actually does anything at all, he is Deputy Prime Minister, he might as well be the Minister for bugger all.
    But didn't the Tories in question have to go because at the time they were in full cry about their Back to Basics campaign? One thing is to have an affair, and another to do so while campaigning for morality and family values.

But like Tugger has said above, if he abused his position to give his mistress perks then he should go.
  • Options
    Blair has been living a "Whiter then White policy since he got to power and has never said it ended. Every Labour minister who is not Whiter then White should have to go, if the Torries did over some speach about back to basics that wasnt even suppose to be about family values when it was made.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    But like Tugger has said above, if he abused his position to give his mistress perks then he should go.
    Well I think she was his secretary, so she would've had all those 'perks' anyway.
  • Options
    However, Prescott is clearly up to some dodgy financial dealings with her; how else did he persuade her to have sex with him?
    :D:D:D
  • Options
    it takes balls
  • Options
    Someone should be resigning over this. Disgusting.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

It's hardly letting Criminals escape... although 90% of the folks in the commons are criminals.
  • Options
    Even disgusted as I am by the way New Labour think thay can manage the country with secret deals, I don't put much faith in the words of someone who, when asked to reveal who offered her husband a peerage, says "I would prefer not to..." It's a bit Ulrika-ish. Publish and be damned, I say.
  • Options
    At least the sleaze balls Jonathan Aitken & Archer "resigned" - why is it that the word "resignation" doesn't appear to be in Labour's vocabulary?
  • Options
    Take a look through history at resignations and you will find that nothing has changed, certainly not since the war. Most are forced out, few resign on honour or principle.
  • Options
    Take a look through history at resignations and you will find that nothing has changed, certainly not since the war. Most are forced out, few resign on honour or principle.

Carrington's about the only one I can remember in recent memory (and that's 1982 and the Falklands)
  • Options
    Cook (allegedly)
  • Options
    As i said in a different thread, only thing to bring down a politician is to find them with either a dead girl or a living boy!
  • Options
    Cook (allegedly)

Bit cynical about whether he resigned due to principle or because he'd been demoted from Foreign Secretary to Leader of the House...
  • Options
    I don't really understand what the big deal with the Clarke thing is.

If they release anybody they might re-offend right?

If they release a foreign prisoner who say committed a murder and there is a risk of them re-offending then surely that risk exists regardless of what country they are in?

To me it seems as if the whole argument has roots in the racist assumption that it's worst for a British person to be their next victim rather than someone from the prisoner's home country.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Bit cynical about whether he resigned due to principle or because he'd been demoted from Foreign Secretary to Leader of the House...

Principles didn't stop him justifying the bombing of the same country on the same ground a few months earlier either... hence my allegedly comment...
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    If they release a foreign prisoner who say committed a murder and there is a risk of them re-offending then surely that risk exists regardless of what country they are in?

To me it seems as if the whole argument has roots in the racist assumption that it's worst for a British person to be their next victim rather than someone from the prisoner's home country.

Not that overt, and not racism per se.

It isn't the colour os skin that is the issue for deportations, it's the fact that they might kill/rape/rob someone you know.

This has nothing to do with reducing crime and everything to do with politics.
  • Options
    It isn't the colour os skin that is the issue for deportations, it's the fact that they might kill/rape/rob someone you know.
    But there are only around 1,000 criminals concerned and there are like so many people in Britain that statistically it is very very unlikely.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Erm... I'd like to believe that liberal doctrine of it being private, but it isn't quite. If he's found to have used government offices and taxpayers money to conduct his grubby affair, he should be sacked. If a senior manager in a large company used company offices and property to conduct an affair, he'd be sacked. I see no reason why Two Shags should be treated differently.

As for the claim that Labour offered the deceased Peter Law a peerage not to stand against his own party, I notice that the Labour Party denied it. Which probably means it's true.

And the only Labour politician who resigned on a principle was probably Estelle Morris, who left education because she said she wasn't the best person for the job. I wish Ruth Kelly could have made such a candid admission sooner.