Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Salary

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am doing a placement starting in June and I am just sorting out my finances as I have a lot of money to pay out in the next couple of months in rent, deposit for the house I will be renting etc but I don't get paid until July. My dad is offering to help me out until I get paid but I need to work out how quickly I can pay it back.

Basically my question is how much tax etc do I have to pay on my salary? I am getting £14,000 for the year but I don't know how much of that I will actually get and how much goes on tax, National Insurance and anything else that gets taken off us.

Can anyone help?

Thanks x

Comments

• Options
    As a general rule lop off about 1/3 for tax and NI.

When I was earning £14,200pa I was receiving about £900-£1000 a month after tax.
  • Options
    If you google tax calculator...
  • Options
    Thanks for your help! I found a tax calculator thing as you siad Katralla and it looks liek I should be getting about £940 per month so similar to what you said Kermit!

Cheers, that has made life a lot easier to calculate things!
  • Options
    It's the beer calculator you need to find....that bugger really hurts. It's consumed about 200% of my income for 2 years now.
  • Options
    Theres a tax calculator here http://www.moneyforums.co.uk/uk_tax_calc.php
  • Options
    Based on the infromation you have provided, you work approximately 86 days a year for the Tax Man.

OUCH
  • Options
    LOL

yes when its put like that it does make us look like slaves :)

Working 85 days for the tax man 80 days for the mortgage company and maybe 10 days for the credit card company

We are pretty much slaves !