Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

White House Press Secretary announces resignation.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/19/bushshakeup.ap/index.html
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Continuing a shakeup in President Bush's administration, White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Wednesday he is resigning, while longtime Bush confidant Karl Rove will lose his policy portfolio.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How would one apply for this position?
  • Options
    you never apply, you get appointed ;)
  • Options
    Let me rephrase.

How does one get himself or herself into a position to be appointed to this position?
  • Options
    You need to be a card carrying Republican, be good in media relations, and have a few years' experience in relating to apes.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    You need to be a card carrying Republican, be good in media relations, and have a few years' experience in relating to apes.

So if I am a Republican zoo PR person, I score!!! :thumb:
  • Options
    oh and probly not a good idea to post in places like this
  • Options
    damn it
  • Options
    You also must be certified as a pathological liar in order to be shortlisted for consideration in the first place.
  • Options
    If only the West Wing was reality, CJ rocked.
  • Options
    If only the West Wing was reality, CJ rocked.

Actually my favourite one is Donna, is that strange?
    West wing is awesome!!
  • Options
    I liked ainsley Hayes before she buggered off to CSI: Miami!

Wish i had a none-portfolio position, you know...a position where i could rome around the US governments highest offices, etc. Seeing everything and anything, manipulating anyone and everyone...(laughs maniacally)
  • Options
    maybe a janitor...?
  • Options
    ...(sinister eyes)

I dont like you migpilot!

(more sinister eyes)...
  • Options
    Think about it this way, the janitor has access to 90% of the rooms in the White House.
    You might even get luck and get down with the first lady or the first daughter....

Imagine the scandal!!

Calls National Enquirer...
    :D
  • Options
    ainsley Hayes was in the episode on sunday in america

i miss sam
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Think about it this way, the janitor has access to 90% of the rooms in the White House.
    You might even get luck and get down with the first lady or the first daughter....

Imagine the scandal!!

Calls National Enquirer...
    :D

The Bush girls? hmmmm.....*drifts off into fantasy world*
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    The Bush girls? hmmmm.....*drifts off into fantasy world*
    :yuck:

Well, I guess that's more work for the Republican propaganda machine to pull out its best propagandist (you feeling the theme?).

Anyone else think it's odd that in a nation where even the local fire chief is elected in most states, the national press officer is appointed out of a politicized Civil Service...?
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    Anyone else think it's odd that in a nation where even the local fire chief is elected in most states, the national press officer is appointed out of a politicized Civil Service...?

No. The White House Press Secretary is a political role, it’s pretty much the public voice of the president speaking on behalf of the executive to the media. I’m not sure what you mean by a ‘politicized Civil Service’ but in America since the constitutionally the president is the singular executive it’s a powerful position. Lots of appointments by the president change at the end of the administration – but while the president seems powerful there’s lots of checks and balances by Congress and the judiciary on the executive and most important appointments have to be ratified by the Senate.
  • Options
    George Bush is The Decider. He has decided Rumsfeld must stay, but not this guy.
  • Options
    Actually Cheney is the decider. Bush just signs the papers put before him like an obedient tool.
  • Options
    My bad, thought that the press was part of the civil service. I think my A Level politics is fleeing my brain rapidly...
  • Options
    Actually Cheney is the decider. Bush just signs the papers put before him like an obedient tool.

"I listen to all voices, but mine is the final decision and Don Rumsfeld is doing a fine job," Bush said. "He's not only transforming the military, he's fighting a war on terror, he's helping us fight a war on terror. I hear the voices and I read the front page and I hear the speculation, but I'm the decider and I decide what is best, and what's best is for Don Rumsfeld to remain as the secretary of defence."

See? He also hears voices. Oh happy days! Its like Nixon all over again. 13/1 that within the next month he starts asking the portrait of Lincoln for advice. :thumb:
  • Options
    Nixon tried to Amend the Constitution so he could stand for a 3rd and possibly 4th term. However is efforts to make himself impossible to unseat came during Watergate and despite winning the second term he was out and replaced by the man never to be elected to the highest office in the land Gerald Ford.

Will Bush ever try to change the law to make himself impossible to remove from power?

I bet Americans all wish Clinton had had a Democratic Congress so he could have made such amendments for himself.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    My bad, thought that the press was part of the civil service. I think my A Level politics is fleeing my brain rapidly...

I'm sorta trying to start revising US politics now for A-level...Hmm I'm not that sure now, I think the press secretary is probably part of the federal bureaucracy so it is the civil service. But while the civil service in the UK isn’t supposed to be political in the US it is more so and to an extent openly. Since lots of posts like ambassadors usually change with presidents – the US ambassador to Britain for instance I think is openly a Republican it's sort of partisan political. Although in the UK I guess the civil service is far more politicised than it's supposed to be and it's something some say has got worse under Blair.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Will Bush ever try to change the law to make himself impossible to remove from power?

It’s very unlikely that Republicans would ever support repealing the amendment limiting presidential terms. Republicans in Congress have tried (unsuccessfully) before to get congressional term limits. And amending the US constitution is extremely difficult, you need a 2/3 majority in both Houses of Congress and it needs to be ratified by 3/4 of states legislatures. It could never happen and the Republicans while they probably won’t lose the Senate and House in November will almost certainly see their majority slashed.
  • Options
    The Press Secretary position is not a civil service function. It falls under the category of "appointed personnel" (essentially "hired hands") and is subject to tenure of the executive. Every Presidency determines its own White House staff.

You may recall the scandalous liable made by the incoming Bush admin that the outgoing Clinton staff had supposedly trashed the place?
  • Options
    Cain, we already have one well known poster here who believes without question whatever the President and his pundits may claim to be so, but I would hope you have a higher calibre of critical rationale and intellectual enquiry to realise that the reality behind the scenes differs greatly from that which is purported to the press and media.
  • Options
    I'm sorta trying to start revising US politics now for A-level...Hmm I'm not that sure now, I think the press secretary is probably part of the federal bureaucracy so it is the civil service. But while the civil service in the UK isn’t supposed to be political in the US it is more so and to an extent openly. Since lots of posts like ambassadors usually change with presidents – the US ambassador to Britain for instance I think is openly a Republican it's sort of partisan political. Although in the UK I guess the civil service is far more politicised than it's supposed to be and it's something some say has got worse under Blair.
    That was kinda my point.
  • Options
    Cain, we already have one well known poster here who believes without question whatever the President and his pundits may claim to be so, but I would hope you have a higher calibre of critical rationale and intellectual enquiry to realise that the reality behind the scenes differs greatly from that which is purported to the press and media.

I know, I just cant help making fun of him.
  • Options
    The Clinton administration White House staff, didnt trash the place...they did rip every "W" letter off every keyboard and super glue to all the walls though! haha, classic!