Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Wrong degree? Or even wrong University?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I feel like such an idiot.
I went off to Sheffield University last September, with a feeling that I was doing the wrong thing. Basically my parents were not happy with me taking a year out so I could reapply (I exceeded my expectations at A-level and got 4 A's and 1 B).
So, off I went, to study Psychology and I really do not like it.
I have missed the deadline for UCAS applications because my family was pressurising myself to stay there, and if I'm honest I forced myself to stay up there, telling myself that I would be ok.
Now I'm considering changing over to a law degree at the end of my first year, but I am fully aware that does not get me over the problems with not liking Sheffield uni much.
Was just wondering whether anyone had any advice at all?
x Vic x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Under the circumstances, I would strongly advise you consider leaving. If you have been at Sheffield for a year, and you do not like it, that will not change next year, or the year after that. Staying at a university you hate is a recipe for disaster. I would not stay in the same circumstances.

As for your parents, to hell with what they think. This is something that is too important for that. My parents are unhappy with my choice of university, but I have already told them effectively to get stuffed.
  • Options
    Yeah I realise that, but then what am I going to do for the time that it takes me to reapply? I really do not want to drop out of uni altogether. Was thinking more along the lines of transferring but the other uni's I have contacted about this advised me to just reapply through UCAS, which of course I cannot do in time for next academic year.
    I just feel a bit crap.
  • Options
    Viconia wrote:
    Yeah I realise that, but then what am I going to do for the time that it takes me to reapply? I really do not want to drop out of uni altogether. Was thinking more along the lines of transferring but the other uni's I have contacted about this advised me to just reapply through UCAS, which of course I cannot do in time for next academic year.
    If you cannot re-apply or transfer by the summer, take some time away from the university system altogether. You'd be amazed by what might happen. You'll start thinking about possible courses and careers you'd never have dreamt of doing before. Contary to how it may seem, this is not a disaster. This may actually be a brilliant opportunity for you to grasp.
  • Options
    Yeah, maybe.
    Think i've got (yet more) thinking to do.
    Am just so fed up. Haven't been truly happy for quite a while. *sighs*
  • Options
    Viconia wrote:
    Yeah, maybe.
    Think i've got (yet more) thinking to do.
    Am just so fed up. Haven't been truly happy for quite a while. *sighs*
    Precisely. This is what I did. I did not go into uni when I could have first done in September 2003. Several reasons applied for this, but it boils down to the fact I simply was not ready to take such a step. Had I gone back then, I would have probably ended up doing a History degree at the University of Wales, Bangor, and no doubt, I would have hated it. Instead, I took three years away. I'm now 21, and will be starting at UWE in Bristol this coming September.

Not going to university straight away was the best decision I have ever made. It has also had some very welcome bonuses - I have been able to get jobs, thus raising much-needed cash, I have been able to depend less on my parents, thus gaining more independence step by step. Even if you think "fuck it, I'm not coming back to university", it is not the be-all and end-all. Several successful people in the world of business have made it without a degree. If you are unhappy at uni, leave. Take some time away, do a part-time job to get your confidence up, and think carefully about the next step.
  • Options
    You shouldn't be pressured into doing something you don't want to do. My parents haven't forced me into doing anything I don't want to do. Yes, they suggested that I stay on and do A levels, but in the end it was MY choice and I went with whatever it was I wanted to do. I've talked to them about uni and other courses as well. They're trying to talk me into staying here and study at Plymouth - I'm not going to do that.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    You shouldn't be pressured into doing something you don't want to do. My parents haven't forced me into doing anything I don't want to do. Yes, they suggested that I stay on and do A levels, but in the end it was MY choice and I went with whatever it was I wanted to do. I've talked to them about uni and other courses as well. They're trying to talk me into staying here and study at Plymouth - I'm not going to do that.
    Sometimes, parents just don't know what they want of their kids. For months, I'd heard them telling me stuff like "we want you out of here, far away". It was one reason I chose a university nearly 200 miles from home. Yet, when I told them, they went "oh, but we didn't want you to go that far". Make your bloody minds up already!

Frankly, when it comes to deciding what uni to go to, the opinion of the parents shouldn't even matter.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Frankly, when it comes to deciding what uni to go to, the opinion of the parents shouldn't even matter.

I disagree with this.

Parents, at the end of the day (generally) only want the best for their children. I had long discussions about my university choices with my parents, we discussed my options and ideas and talked about their hopes and fears like sensible adults.

To the OP, I would consider leaving university, but I reckon that your parents are worried that you will be a "floater" for a while and are concerned about this.

See if you are eligible for clearing (I don't know the ins and outs of it) or maybe even see about transferring to another subject within Sheff Uni. Don't just disregard and not care about what your parents think - they have possibly gone through similar experiences so talk to them.
  • Options
    You can (sometimes) transfer to another course (even at a different uni) and take any completed credit units with you. So I'd stick it out for the year to get 120 credits worth of a degree before deciding on what next.
  • Options
    I disagree with this. Parents, at the end of the day (generally) only want the best for their children. I had long discussions about my university choices with my parents, we discussed my options and ideas and talked about their hopes and fears like sensible adults....

To the OP, I would consider leaving university, but I reckon that your parents are worried that you will be a "floater" for a while and are concerned about this.

See if you are eligible for clearing (I don't know the ins and outs of it) or maybe even see about transferring to another subject within Sheff Uni. Don't just disregard and not care about what your parents think - they have possibly gone through similar experiences so talk to them.
    Maybe I was thinking more about age here. Viconia appears to have gone straight to university from college, whereas I'm a little older and haven't taken any advice from my parents about it. My parents talked a lot about fears too, but I tended to dismiss them out of hand or just ignore them. I hadn't handled it very well, I must admit.

As for the "floater" element, my parents appeared to have thought the same thing when I didn't go. It's not a criticism worth listening to. If you do leave uni, get a job or something as soon as you can, even if it's just part-time and work your way forward from there. It's not dissimilar to what I've done, and it's working wonders.
  • Options
    you can still apply through UCAS but only for clearing. that's what i did last year. you just need to fill in the form again and then they'll send you a clearing form ready for august. give UCAS a ring sometime and they'll explain it all to you.

also, if you know what course you would like to do at which uni, give the course leader a ring, explain your situation to them and generally have a chat with them. talk to your current personal tutor too, they should be able to help.

last year i completed the whole year but decided it wasnt for me. so over the summer i reapplied through UCAS to get my clearing form and then rang round quite a few unis and asked how likely it was that the courses i was interested in would have places in clearing. quite a few said they didnt think there would be places, but it doesnt mean there wont be. there were also a couple who offered me a place before clearing on the basis of my grades.

theres not much of this year left so id say you may as well finish it off and then use the summer to work out what you do want to do. id say its more than likely youll be able to find a place in clearing for something you want to do if you're open minded. although, im not too sure about law courses.

at the end of the day, it should be your decision and not your parents.
  • Options
    Thanks very much for your help, all of you. It was really good to read some different opinions.
    As for my parents, well, I'm an only child, my Dad trained as a surgeon and is now a manager and my Mum is a nurse, so at least, as far as my Dad is concerned, i've got a lot to live up to!
    I'm going to talk it through with both of them, I woud myself prefer to transfer to a different uni at the end of this year, and go straight on with a degree, however, taking a year out to do some work and some serious thinking would not be so bad either I feel :-)
    I'll have a think anyways,
    Thanks guys :)
  • Options
    if you have a free careers advice service bolted on to your uni it might be helpful to have a chat with them. that's what i did when i transferred. the lady i saw really knew all the ins and outs, and helped me sort out what i was going to do.

plus if it's free you'll have nowt to lose but a bit of your time :)

on the parent front, it sounds like you've got a decent relationship with them, so it's a good idea to be working with them to sort it out. at the end of the day it is your decision where and what you study, but it's really be handy to have them on your side.