Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

RAF doctor disobeyed Iraq orders

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There's a reason why the Hitchens brothers are talking again now.

Because Peter had a kid and Christopher wanted to see his new nephew.
  • Options
    And lets not forget some of the best responses to the anti-war crowd has come from figures on the left, Christopher Hitchens and Nick Cohen instantly come to mind.

LOL! :D That's funny, you should go on stage. :D
  • Options
    Blagsta have you read the Euston manifesto?

http://eustonmanifesto.org/joomla/
  • Options
    Yes, I've seen it. To describe it as "left wing" is laughable.
  • Options
    What I don't get is why its ok for someone to sign up to the armed forces and then when they get called up to say, sorry, I am against violence for whatever reason, but when someone refuses to take part in one war because they feel that war is immoral they get prosecuted.

Surely the whole point of joining the armed forces is to protect the country, and you would expect that at some point in your service you would be called up to fight. So if you don't believe in violence, why join in the first place?

That just seems really stupid to me.
  • Options
    Yes, I've seen it. To describe it as "left wing" is laughable.

How so?
  • Options
    Surely the whole point of joining the armed forces is to protect the country

How the hell does anyone protect the country :confused::confused:
    That just seems really stupid to me.

Precisely
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    . If he was that unhappy, he should have resigned from the RAF before it was too late.
    He attempted to resign his commision before he received the written orders
  • Options
    Surely the whole point of joining the armed forces is to protect the country, and you would expect that at some point in your service you would be called up to fight. So if you don't believe in violence, why join in the first place?.
    This is quite different from any other recent conflict in that "we" were the aggressor. In the previous Iraq conflict, we "liberated" Kuwait. We retook the Falkland Islands (I don't think anybody knew WTF they were doing in Vietnam). We entered the WWII to liberate those invaded by Germany.

There were additional problems with people who joined the territorial army, thinking they would only "defend the country", being sent as part of an invasion.
  • Options
    Meh. I'm apparently a neocon. I support a ‘hawkish’ foreign policy. Although many Democrats and Republicans do. And lets not forget some of the best responses to the anti-war crowd has come from figures on the left, Christopher Hitchens and Nick Cohen instantly come to mind.

And let's not forget someone of the best responses to the pro-war crowd has come from figures on the right such as Ron Paul & Paul Craig Roberts.
  • Options
    People on the Right are against the war for selfish, isolationist reasons.

As are the hypocrites on the left, but at least the Right wing opponents have a history of self interest.
  • Options
    People on the Right are against the war for selfish, isolationist reasons.

As are the hypocrites on the left, but at least the Right wing opponents have a history of self interest.

Oh yes, i forgot, the war is being waged to improve the lives of iraqis and give them "freedom and democracy".

Just a pity that if ever they do have "freedom and democracy" (once they've finished killing each other, that is), Iraq will be a radioactive death zone contaminated by tonnes of DU.

How can opposing that be "selfish" or "isolationist"?
  • Options

And self interest is a good thing? You're a complete nut sometimes!
  • Options
    sometimes? :chin:
  • Options
    sometimes? :chin:
    bit of a short one for you,but i think i know what your getting at.

self interest=the west=how we live?
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    bit of a short one for you,but i think i know what your getting at.

self interest=the west=how we live?

No he's on about Mat being a nutter sometimes, he was taking the piss, implying he's always a nutter.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    No he's on about Mat being a nutter sometimes, he was taking the piss, implying he's always a nutter.
    i thought it was a bit of both?.......never mind.
  • Options
    Oh yes, i forgot, the war is being waged to improve the lives of iraqis and give them "freedom and democracy".

Yes.
    Just a pity that if ever they do have "freedom and democracy" (once they've finished killing each other, that is), Iraq will be a radioactive death zone contaminated by tonnes of DU.

Incompetence of execution is a seperate issue.
    How can opposing that be "selfish" or "isolationist"?

Because all you would have to offer is a brutal status quo under a psychopathic crime lord and his family.
    And self interest is a good thing? You're a complete nut sometimes!

You misinterpret me. I said that the right wing opponents are selfish isolationists - but they have a tradition of that through Kissinger etc. The left has no excuse not to support the removal of a fascist.
  • Options
    Because all you would have to offer is a brutal status quo under a psychopathic crime lord and his family

Say what ? Sounds like someone called an election ?
  • Options
    The left has no excuse not to support the removal of a fascist.

And you have no excuse to excuse fascists that America supports. Puppet Governments all over the world that serve America's interests. Surely you can see the hypocrosy in that? No?

I've never once said that Sadam was a good person, that I loved him but this war is a big fucking sham, one of the biggest blunders in World History. You know it too.
  • Options

Incompetence of execution is a seperate issue.

The horrors of DU have been publicly known for well over a decade yet the US has knowingly increased use of DU munitions dramatically because it provides superior armour for tanks and as a munition it offers excellent armour penetration. If DU use was a result of incompetence then all radioactive munitions would have been scrapped after the Gulf War once the full effects became known.

They weren't, so it clearly isn't.
    Because all you would have to offer is a brutal status quo under a psychopathic crime lord and his family.

...armed and supported by the very people who then waged war against him, killing over a million children via sanctions and hundreds of thousands more since the occupation.
    You misinterpret me. I said that the right wing opponents are selfish isolationists - but they have a tradition of that through Kissinger etc. The left has no excuse not to support the removal of a fascist.

The left has a tradition of opposition to war, and Kissinger - evidently a supporter of the neo-cons - is no isolationist.
  • Options
    The horrors of DU have been publicly known for well over a decade yet the US has knowingly increased use of DU munitions dramatically because it provides superior armour for tanks and as a munition it offers excellent armour penetration.

Its called force protection and you will notice that most civilised countries like to conserve the lives of their soldiers.
    They weren't, so it clearly isn't.

Yes, it is. Subsequent errors made in Iraq in no way lessen the case for the removal of Saddam by force.
    ...armed and supported by the very people who then waged war against him, killing over a million children via sanctions and hundreds of thousands more since the occupation.

Over 20 years ago. Anyway, do you not think that the fact that Saddam was given limited material assistance by the US increases the responsiblity of the US to remove him?

You avoided the argument. It is impossible to deny that, if the anti-war crowd had had its way Saddam would be in power.

Whats worse is, they continue to chant their mantra of 'Troops out, Stop the war' and completly ignore what would happen if they got their way. The continue to support the bloodthirsty Iraqi 'resistance' as a way to spite America. Never mind the people who get blown up by suicide bombers - racist suicide bombers who pick on grounds of race and creed - not whether they have worked with the occupiers.
    The left has a tradition of opposition to war, and Kissinger - evidently a supporter of the neo-cons - is no isolationist.

Yes, and it is its worst tradition. The pacifist tradition which appeased Hitler and Stalin and continues to make excuses for Islamist horrors across the world.

Get a clue about Kissinger and neo-conservatives. Kissinger was a realist who believed nations had interests and not principles. You will find that he was responsible for such reprehensible actions as Chile, Iran Contra and support for other odious regimes.

What you lot need to understand is that where the interests of American power and ordinary people (in this case the Iraqi people) collude, the only principled stance to take is one of riding the beast to a better future.

You will find that this stand leaves you free to critiscise subsequent incompetencies of the invasion and avoids the straitjacket of the dreadful mantra I listed above.
  • Options
    Its called force protection and you will notice that most civilised countries like to conserve the lives of their soldiers.

At the expense of radiating the entire population. Didn't you say the invasion was to benefit the Iraqi people?

DU doesn't discriminate between troops and civilians anyway - everyone is affected.
    Yes, it is. Subsequent errors made in Iraq in no way lessen the case for the removal of Saddam by force.

Are you (laughably) suggesting the US gov't and military are unaware of the effects of DU? That's the only way such an "error" could be made, although it's patently obvious that when masses of DU are used repeatedly in several theatres over more than a decade, each time with outcry, there is no "error".
    Over 20 years ago. Anyway, do you not think that the fact that Saddam was given limited material assistance by the US increases the responsiblity of the US to remove him?

Most likely it was part of the plan all along. Arm a dictator of a strategically important region, encourage him to be aggressive, then take him out on the pretext he's a dangerous tyrant and install a puppet government.
    You avoided the argument. It is impossible to deny that, if the anti-war crowd had had its way Saddam would be in power.

Saddam remaining as dictator of Iraq would have been a far better prospect than civil war and massive nuclear radiation. Thus far, it'd have saved the lives over a million people and in the future, a great many more.

The lesser of two evils.

Interesting to note also that the US could have easily had him overthrown by Iraqi insurgents who asked for support during the closing stages of the Gulf War. The US refused, withdrew and knowingly allowed the remnants of the Republican Guard to take them out.
    Whats worse is, they continue to chant their mantra of 'Troops out, Stop the war' and completly ignore what would happen if they got their way. The continue to support the bloodthirsty Iraqi 'resistance' as a way to spite America. Never mind the people who get blown up by suicide bombers - racist suicide bombers who pick on grounds of race and creed - not whether they have worked with the occupiers.

Yes, and it is its worst tradition. The pacifist tradition which appeased Hitler and Stalin and continues to make excuses for Islamist horrors across the world.

Get a clue about Kissinger and neo-conservatives. Kissinger was a realist who believed nations had interests and not principles. You will find that he was responsible for such reprehensible actions as Chile, Iran Contra and support for other odious regimes

What you lot need to understand is that where the interests of American power and ordinary people (in this case the Iraqi people) collude, the only principled stance to take is one of riding the beast to a better future.

You will find that this stand leaves you free to critiscise subsequent incompetencies of the invasion and avoids the straitjacket of the dreadful mantra I listed above.

All of this is irrelevent.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Otherwise you could argue that no regime, from Saddam to the Nazis to Mugabe, ever did anything wrong when they tortured and killed all those people.

Isn't that what Clandestine argues? To an extent...
  • Options
    At the expense of radiating the entire population. Didn't you say the invasion was to benefit the Iraqi people?

Hyperbole.
    Are you (laughably) suggesting the US gov't and military are unaware of the effects of DU? That's the only way such an "error" could be made, although it's patently obvious that when masses of DU are used repeatedly in several theatres over more than a decade, each time with outcry, there is no "error".

I am suggesting no such thing. I have not once said that governments do not practice realpolitik.
    Most likely it was part of the plan all along. Arm a dictator of a strategically important region, encourage him to be aggressive, then take him out on the pretext he's a dangerous tyrant and install a puppet government.

You give our policy makers too much credit.
    Saddam remaining as dictator of Iraq would have been a far better prospect than civil war and massive nuclear radiation. Thus far, it'd have saved the lives over a million people and in the future, a great many more.

This is ludicrous.
    The lesser of two evils

I would prefer to see Saddam taken out and some Western presence put in to oversee the tough transition to constitutional democracy. The alternative (a break up of Iraq after Saddams death with no Western force in place to mitigate the resultant civil war) does not bear thinking about.
    Interesting to note also that the US could have easily had him overthrown by Iraqi insurgents who asked for support during the closing stages of the Gulf War. The US refused, withdrew and knowingly allowed the remnants of the Republican Guard to take them out.

The US withdrew because its UN mandate did not cover a liberation of Iraq. I would regard its failure to ignore the UN and the court of world opinion then and take out Saddam as one of the greatest foreign policy mistakes of the last 50 years.
    All of this is irrelevent.

How can we have a debate if you refuse to engage with my points? I counter your ridiculous and petty points about depleted uranium weaponry so the least you could do in return is admit that, because your posiiton is so compromised, you have no answer to my point.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

Except that life without said Fascist is actually worse for people, as at least the Fascist ensured some degree of lawfulness and order. Instead we have a state of anarchy, and not in the political sense.
  • Options
    Hyperbole.

It's no such thing. If you don't realise the implications of subjecting an entire country to DU contamination then you really need to do some reading.
    I am suggesting no such thing. I have not once said that governments do not practice realpolitik.

I never said you did - you did you say it was an error however. Tell me, then, how such "incompetance" could take place, considering the US has carried out extensive research decades ago & the army's own training manuals cover the dangers quite explicity?

If you're going to switch stance and claim it's realpolitik, realpolitik towards what end? No government is going to blast DU off right left and centre as a means of improving the conditions of a population - that's basic common sense.
    You give our policy makers too much credit.

Hardly. I'll dig up some links later with more detail.
    This is ludicrous.

Saddam Hussein was about as good as it gets in the Middle East. He was secular, Western culture was accepted, Christians were tolerated, women were graduating from colleges & universities. So long as you accepted Baathist rule, you were fine - and considering the historical background of Iraq, that's the best you're going to get.
    I would prefer to see Saddam taken out and some Western presence put in to oversee the tough transition to constitutional democracy. The alternative (a break up of Iraq after Saddams death with no Western force in place to mitigate the resultant civil war) does not bear thinking about.

There's evidence civil war is being orchestrated by the US & UK. SAS soldiers being caught dressed up as arabs with explosives...explosions at mosques which totally goes against the grain of the arabic mentality...everything suggests civil strife is being stoked by Western forces.
    The US withdrew because its UN mandate did not cover a liberation of Iraq. I would regard its failure to ignore the UN and the court of world opinion then and take out Saddam as one of the greatest foreign policy mistakes of the last 50 years.

Again, i'll dig up some links later when i've got time demonstrating other reasons for refusal to provide support.
    How can we have a debate if you refuse to engage with my points? I counter your ridiculous and petty points about depleted uranium weaponry so the least you could do in return is admit that, because your posiiton is so compromised, you have no answer to my point.

None of that relates to what i'm arguing, which is the rationale for the war. I don't even know what you're getting at with Kissenger and your view of left-wing opposition to war is quite inaccurate. I'm perfectly happy to answer points if you make them specific and actually present a question but you're creating diversions.